Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Credit Card Dispute

Options
  • 29-08-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Complicated one here - ordered goods from French company last December and sent bank transfer. Goods were out of stock and so refund was due. They asked for credit card number which I gave, and claim they refunded me in Jan. They have confirmed card number and date transfer was made, but Tesco cannot see it received. Tesco contacted them a few times looking for authorisation numbers without reply, and have now wrote to me saying they cannot do anymore and " good luck with your attempts to get refunded "
    I am f*cking livid here, I use the cc all the time and never default a payment and this is how they treat me.
    Is there anything I can do - the refund is worth 500 euro, so not to be sniffed at.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

How do you know it actually was refunded in the first place ? Just because you gave this french company your tesco card number doesnt mean that tesco have to do anything other than check to see if they received the refund - it sounds like they have checked not recieved it and then gone and requested transfer numbers from the french company -

''Tesco contacted them a few times looking for authorisation numbers without reply"

so they have done more than they were required to as I see it and your issue is with the french company who advertised items for sale that they did not have to sell and have now banjoed the refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

If you didn't buy the goods with the card then Tesco have no responsibility for the money, have the French party produced any proof that they made the repayment?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

should they not have refunded it by bank transfer the same way they received it?

It's not really Tesco Personal Finance's (or RBS's) problem if they didn't receive payment and the French company ddon't have the reference numbers to show that they put it onto your card, they probably haven't.

You need to take this up with the French company and seeing as you didn't use your credit card originally, TPF can't really do too much to get the payment back.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It doesnt sound to me like a Tesco problem at all. If I had to guess Id say you werent refunded. Your main problem as has been said, is that you didnt pay with the card. If you had a refund would be easy, and Tescos responsibility. This way it is not, they can only check for you if a refund has hit your card.

Back to the french company I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

You're argument is lost on me also. It is comparable to you giving your account details to a company on the understanding that they would do an electronic transfer into your account, and when they never send the money, blaming your bank.

You didn't purchase the goods on your credit card, so you should be very grateful to Tesco for evening trying to attempt to contact the company because they are well within their right to have simply done nothing.

As someone with a bit of experience in these matters, what is most probably happening here is the french company are not refunding the transaction.

Hope this helps,

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sounds really dodgy. A retailer cannot refund onto your credit card if you did not PURCHASE with that credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

ok guys, thanks - I might try contact some consumer office in france if i can.

cheers for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

eth0_: They SHOULDN'T, but there's nothing to stop them really, it just makes balancing their merchant account statements a little trickier

Advertisement