Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working part time during a masters.

Options
  • 29-08-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm looking for peoples experiences more than opinions, as a few people have already told me NOT to work. I'll be in college mon to fri,finishing at 1 on friday. i worked thru my undergrad, in the mornings before college and weekends,depending on the roster. I know a masters is very different, but if i could take in enough to cover rent per week i would be happy. Have many of ye done it and wit has your experience been like?

Comments

You might end up getting some papers to grade / labs to tutor / lectures to give if you're lucky in your college, so that might do you for the year. Before taking on anything else, perhaps enquire with the department whether there are any opportunities for this type of thing during the year?

It's normally good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

see i have work already,just curious bout the feasibility of keeping it on!

Oh I see. Well my friend has just finished his masters, and he was working (almost) full-time. I think it's definitely possible but the one definite is that you will have to make time to do study/work. So it would be difficult, but still definitely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I worked full-time during my masters. I got straight A's (results pending, but I think it's straight A's).

So it is possible to work, study and have a life at the same time.

If you want to work part-time, something like technical support or customer service in a call centre is very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I asked a similar question in the Postgrad forum a few months ago (my MA is evenings only, so in theory I could hold down a 9-5 aswell) and got a resounding 'no way' to working full-time, but I think most people do some kind of p/t stuff. I'd go insane if I didn't (and go broke in the process).

Out of interest, how many contact hours do you have a week? I'll only have 4... :D

• Advertisement

Well it's a new job, easy stuff tho, and they have me down to work four days. total of 25 hours, which to be honest Im not mad about, would prefer 3 days, maybe 20 hours. I'll do the 4days this week (2eves, 2 days) but think i;ll cut out one, I could afford to. Maybe i should post this in another forum with more masters students..

Why don't you just start the masters and quit the job if it is too much for you?

Do you really need to be so ultra-cautious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Why don't you just start the masters and quit the job if it is too much for you?

Do you really need to be so ultra-cautious?

Maybe she needs the money?

ellscurr wrote: »
    Maybe she needs the money?

Sorry what I meant was see how she gets on working 25 hours a week and then reduce if necessary.

As stated above, I worked 40 hours a week, ran a business part-time, and managed to be very well in my computer science masters.

All it takes is a bit of time management, hard work and dedication. :)

And I have terrible time management skills! So if I can do it, anyone can...

thanks! Yeah i do need the money, I simply could not afford not to work if you know what i mean. Will take it one week at a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement