Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOOD THINGS ABOUT DROGHEDA

Options
  • 29-08-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have decided there is too much doom and gloom regarding Drogheda on this site.
    So lets make a thread that only discusses good things about Drogheda (and this can range from anything)
    WOOHOO :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

The fact thats it's not Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The M1 outta there!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭gipi

I haven't found it impossible to find tradesmen to do big or small jobs....lived in Co Kildare before moving here and couldn't get folk for love nor money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭Archeron

The area around Scotch hall with the waterfront walkway is really nice.

That big old stone rail bridge is really cool, and remind me of my wee childhood when I was at the beach and could see it. It took me two buses and about three hours to get their from my house in north dublin.

Its in a cool historic part of the country, and has an interesting past.

AFAIK, its in two counties as well. Someone told me recently that bits of it are in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Yup parts of St. Olivers school up there is in Meath (the smelly part) :D

Drogheda is a grand place bar the scumbags.

Good sports clubs, good bars, friendly people (majority), Beutiful historic buildings ie viaduct, Laurneces Gate, Old Abby, Peters Church etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Yup parts of St. Olivers school up there is in Meath (the smelly part) :D

Drogheda is a grand place bar the scumbags.

Good sports clubs, good bars, friendly people (majority), Beutiful historic buildings ie viaduct, Laurneces Gate, Old Abby, Peters Church etc

Don't forget the great schools!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

yup Surprisingly got an A1 in higher English in the LC. Damn txt language taking over. But the ollies is a great school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Drogheda's great. But I am moving to Dub next week, so I get best of both kips. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

shopping...

great shopping centres and retail parks.. Dont have to travel to Dublin anymore!! YIPPEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 streamsofpiss

Good thread!

McPhails! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The view of Drogheda from the Suspension Bridge while dawn is breaking is something to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Nice old buildings about the place and of course my favourite pub Clarkes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 harobed

the fact that they have now put in a roundabout at colpe cross! (even if it is a bit hard to navigate) it eases traffic!!

also, droghedas location to beach, train, bus,
    the lovely walk along boyne canal,

but the one thing i dislike is the toll to go from one side of drogheda to another on the motorway!

Quality wrote: »
    shopping...

great shopping centres and retail parks.. Dont have to travel to Dublin anymore!! YIPPEE

Yeah but its not really a good thing though is it? Unless you have your own car, anyway (I don't). If i want to go to Smyths to pick up a few wrestling figures and Argos to get a pair of headphones, I may aswell go to Dublin. Drogheda is much too spread out. Worst part is that, even though they put Argos/Smyths, etc. really far out of the town, there's nothing to keep you occupied whilst going there (ie. they didn't build anything from west street to Argos. Just a long road that goes past a few neighbourhoods). There's also too many empty shop spaces around. Scotch Hall have a hard neck with their rent charges for a spot in there, too. They want more money than St. Stephens Green shopping centre. Robbing bastards.

But as for good things in Drogheda... I like... me...? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Fors years Ive been going down for a session every couple of months at least and the best thing about Drogheda is

The People.

Ive had more good nights in Droogheda than any other town in Ireland..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

I think this was a great idea for a thread. Well done OP. If you were to guage Drogheda based on the average post on this forum you'd think we all walked around with riot armour and bullet proof vest for fear of being eaten by cannibals.

Anyway - I've lived here a few years now, from Dublin originally and I love the town. Doubt if I will ever move back to Dublin. I love the viaduct, I love the fact that I can just stroll into town, I love the variety of bars and restaurants, I love the boyne valley (the valley not the hotel), I love the road at oldbridge that goes under the new bridge, I love King William's Glen, I love my view of Millmount, I love the fact that there's church with a head in it (I even more so love telling people who don't know about it), I love the fact that they take the head out and walk it through the town now and again (or so I've heard I've never actually seen this done - maybe a joke locals play on us blow-ins). I could go on and on, but most of all I love the endless array of characters that this town has, I've never come across such consistently colourful people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

The Music.

Drogheda has consistently had a decent local music scene over the last 20 -30 years. With venues from the boxing club through to Fusion and McHughs and bands such as trenchtown, skam and the officials for all you rude boys and girls.

Plenty for metallers in Metallicia and Creeper and Dyslucic.

Add to that Electric Ladyland, Electric Avenue. **** all the electrics are good.

External Sounds recently had their own tent at the Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    The Music.

Drogheda has consistently had a decent local music scene over the last 20 -30 years. With venues from the boxing club through to Fusion and McHughs and bands such as trenchtown, skam and the officials for all you rude boys and girls.

Plenty for metallers in Metallicia and Creeper and Dyslucic.

Add to that Electric Ladyland, Electric Avenue. **** all the electrics are good.

External Sounds recently had their own tent at the Electric Picnic.

+1 They are playing tonight, should be good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

It has a kickass airsoft site

Advertisement