Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking in a new rifle

Options
  • 29-08-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    As some of you will know I have purchased a rifle a few months back and now just waiting on the licence (7 weeks so far !!!) .

Im sure I saw this covered before but I cant find it ..
    If and when Im granted my licence and go and collect my long awaited rifle ... how do I look after it ..

Is there anything special about using a new rifle , do I need to use high grade ammo or clean it more etc etc .

Like I said sorry if asked before .
    Thanks
    Darr

Also in a flight of fancy I was looking at CF rifles and have to say I was drawn towards a Valmet M-88 hunter (in either .243 or .308) just wondering if anyone knows of any in Ireland or any experance of valmet firearms in general .

valmet rifle m88 http://www.valmetweapons.com/M-88.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

you can follow this proceedure:

fire one, clean with copper solvent (for first 5 shots)
    fire three, clean again (for about 15 shots)

This is to effectively polish out any imperfections in the rifling.

This breaking in process is always controversial so I'm sure there will be more
    suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Darr I thought you were getting a 10/22?
    If so, fathersymes advice might need a bit of changing, I think that's more the fullbore breaking-in method. Smallbore wouldn't use copper solvent.
    Been a while since I had to run in my anschutz, but if I remember right, after assembly I cleaned it out with the brass brush, the solvent, the whole nine yards; then afterwards fired two or three shots and cleaned it again; and then continued doing that cycle but with five shots a time for the first twenty or thirty shots. Took about an hour, but I wasn't bothering with slings and jackets and kit, just shooting off a sandbag into the backstop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Your spot on Sparks its a 10/22 , sorry I wasnt aware there were different procedures depends on size .
    Thanks again guys ..

Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You'll probably find you've more cleaning and such to do with the 10/22 given that the action's different Darr. I've never run in a semi-auto before, so I'll leave it to those who have to advise...

Advertisement