Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragging up a nine year old thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

So the summary is that mord got too stoned and mixed up his spacebar and return carraige keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

OMG, my keyboard has a Return and an Enter key. *Excitement* Ever since the days of me with my Spectrum and my friend with a Commodore 64, I've dreamed of having both.

/goes to seek 9 year old threads on Spectrums and Commodore 64s...

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Stark wrote: »
    OMG, my keyboard has a Return and an Enter key. *Excitement* Ever since the days of me with my Spectrum and my friend with a Commodore 64, I've dreamed of having both.

/goes to seek 9 year old threads on Spectrums and Commodore 64s...
    Weeeell, as long as you don't post...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's a harsh ban. It's not the hippy way. ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    How will after hours benefit from not not banning the user?

How will after hours benefit from not not not banning the user? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So, any chance the OP will get the ban lifted? I think the ban was far to OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Who is Carol anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

tallaght01 wrote: »
    One man's bollix thread is another man's interesting thread.
    And it's up to the mod to judge whether or not the majority of forum users will find it interesting/bollix.

R0ot wrote: »
    How will after hours benefit from not not not banning the user? :pac:
    How will after hours not benefit from not not not banning the user?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Kazuma wrote: »
    How will after hours not benefit from not not not banning the user?

You ruined it, get out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Gordon wrote: »
    And it's up to the mod to judge whether or not the majority of forum users will find it interesting/bollix.

Well, if someone posted a thread on the molecular properties of arginine in biology+medicine, most users probably wouldn't find it interesting, but it would be pretty harsh to close the thread.

But that may be just because I think thread closing and bans should be absoloute last resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I agree with the lock.
    Tallaght01, and anyone else: it's silly because the information is outdated. So what? Well, it'll save people mistakenly believing that it's a newer thread and reading through the crap, or it may have been done to deliberately embarrass another poster, or just to spam ... bah, it has been explained.
    A ban (even an infraction) seems OTT unless the user has done it to be a deliberate pain in the arse, or several times and doesn't get the hint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if another mod wants to unban the Op that's up to them, but I stand by my judgement that dragging up 9 year old threads is worse than genocide.

manties also banned btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I know its not a major issue with old threads being posted to after x amount of time, allbeit an issue with the OP.

Why not autolock them after 12 months, like so many other forums if the admins dont want them dragged up. Then if someone wants to say in 9 years time " see, i told you so...." they could just link to in in their new thread ?

R0ot wrote: »
    You ruined it, get out.
    Whaddya gonna do, ban me? =P

Karoma wrote: »
    I agree with the lock.
    Tallaght01, and anyone else: it's silly because the information is outdated. So what? Well, it'll save people mistakenly believing that it's a newer thread and reading through the crap, or it may have been done to deliberately embarrass another poster, or just to spam ... bah, it has been explained.
    A ban (even an infraction) seems OTT unless the user has done it to be a deliberate pain in the arse, or several times and doesn't get the hint.

Well, I don't agree that an old thread neccessarily contains outdated information or opinions. But at least we can agree on the bizarreness of the ban, which is probably more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, if someone posted a thread on the molecular properties of arginine in biology+medicine, most users probably wouldn't find it interesting, but it would be pretty harsh to close the thread.

But that may be just because I think thread closing and bans should be absoloute last resorts.
    Each mod has their own views.

Here is a thread that would be better off not dragging up (in my opinion) for example, unless of course the LIDL microscope still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

if another mod wants to unban the Op that's up to them, but I stand by my judgement that dragging up 9 year old threads is worse than genocide.
    If a group of people ever claim you as one of theirs, I'll wipe 'em out. Then you can compare.
    Ban lifted until then.
    Kazuma: Please don't drag up old threads.
    manties also banned btw
    *shrug*

In the context of Bragain Alert (As an example): Dragging up an old thread really is usually pointless, and just damn annoying.
    In After Hours, where there's little fact and all crap: it's still damn annoying - posters may not even be around any more, the topic may just upset other posters, and really- it's AH- a thread doesn't die just because it should. It requires a good staking. Dragging up a thread on the subject, and adding a worthwhile update can be a good thing. It really depends on the sitatuation. This situation: it's a locking. There's only addition to my argument is: DUH.

Here is a thread that would be better off not dragging up (in my opinion) for example, unless of course the LIDL microscope still exists.

That thread would be fine, as it's about a microscope with particular specs. You'll stil get microscopes with those same specs. My original point is that ithe thread would just die out,as the natural order of things kicks in. That's not always the case, and discretion should be used. Of course it should. But automatically closing ressurrected threads is, to my mind, silly.

Banning for it on a first offence is equally silly, IMO.

Karoma wrote: »
    If a group of people ever claim you as one of theirs, I'll wipe 'em out. Then you can compare.
    Ban lifted until then.
    Kazuma: Please don't drag up old threads.

*shrug*
    Not going to, just didn't know that people didn't like it, a warning would suffice.
    Thanks for the unban!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Also depends no the forum, the subject and who is dragging it up.

Dragging up a nine month thread in PI titled "am i pregnant" would be pretty pointless.
    Even three month threads would be useless. With the exception being the op getting back with an update.

LOL..perhaps a time capsule forum where threads could automatically be bumped to embarrass all the posters with what they said 10/ 20 etc. years ago. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I think the ban is harsh if the user didnt know any better, however i will stand with mordeth because he once had a beard which was cool, but then shaved it... - coolness

i worked as a moderator on a forum and i know that threads can be autolocked after a significant period of time, but it seems on many boards never to be done why????????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Kazuma wrote: »
    Whaddya gonna do, ban me? =P

Please don't taunt the happy fun ball.

.. [wiki]Dragging Up Old Posts[/wiki]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hobbes wrote: »
    Please don't taunt the happy fun ball.

.. [wiki]Dragging Up Old Posts[/wiki]

That wiki was so old it has been archived! :p

"Safari can’t open the page “http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Dragging%20Up%20Old%20Posts” because it can’t find the server “wiki.boards.ie”."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Marksie wrote: »
    Dragging up a nine month thread in PI titled "am i pregnant" would be pretty pointless.

9 months on, the OP might be able to give a conclusive answer in fairness. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Without Zombie Threads whats the use of the Zombie Survival Forum? Hmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

snyper wrote: »
    i worked as a moderator on a forum and i know that threads can be autolocked after a significant period of time, but it seems on many boards never to be done why????????

+1

Was going to create a new thread, but then thought "why bother"?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's a discussion board. That's what it is. If someone wants to comment on an old topic, why can't they? If no-one else wants to engage, the topic will die. "Just the way it is" thinking is very backward looking.

We should leave a lot more things alone, and let the dynamic of the message board take it's course, IMHO.
    I think the only time an old thread should be dragged up is when there is a good reason to drag it up.

This is an epic example of what not to drag up: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=230280

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Oh my good god.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement