Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster V Queensland Reds

• 29-08-2008 2:13pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this is going to be on setanta or rte?

Also if its not on are there still tickets available at the ground?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Tickets available from Spar in Donnybrook.

Don't know about TV coverage, but doubt it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Got a ticket on Monday no hassle.

Looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is going to be on setanta or rte?

Also if its not on are there still tickets available at the ground?

Cheers

No it wont be on TV, but tickets will be available at the gate tomorrow, you can pay in when you get there. (just don't leave it too late incase it sells out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

[Jackass] wrote: »
    No it wont be on TV, but tickets will be available at the gate tomorrow, you can pay in when you get there. (just don't leave it too late incase it sells out)

got my tickets from ticketmaster last night, €10 for the terrace, there wasnt any seating left as far as i remember.

Wonder what sort of team is being put out

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Shane Horgan
    13: Brian O’Driscoll
    12: Felipe Contepomi
    11: Rob Kearney
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Chris Whitaker CAPTAIN

1: Ronan McCormack
    2: Bernard Jackman
    3: Stephen Knoop
    4: Malcolm O’Kelly
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Cameron Jowitt
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS FROM: Cian Healy, John Fogarty, Brian Blaney, Trevor Hogan, Sean O'Brien, Stephen Keogh, Kevin McLaughlin, Chris Keane, Paul O'Donohoe, Fergus McFadden, Luke Fitzgerald, Eoin O'Malley, Gary Brown, Simon Keogh, Girvan Dempsey

Very strong in the backs. Maybe with the exception of Horgan for Fitzgerald and putting Isa at right wing, Fitzgerald at left and Kearney at FB it would be our strongest backline.

Worryingly though, no sign of Stan. He picked up an injury in the Padova match, I don't know the extent, but that would leave us without our 2 first choice props for the opening 3 games of ML.

I will also be interested to see how Toner gets on. I'd really like to see him step up this season and along with Hogan put some pressure on that second lock position. Mal is a pure legend but barely has a season left in him, really need the replacement to make himself obvious this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Should be able to pay into this shouldn't I?

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Shane Horgan
    13: Brian O’Driscoll
    12: Felipe Contepomi
    11: Rob Kearney
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Chris Whitaker CAPTAIN

1: Ronan McCormack
    2: Bernard Jackman
    3: Stephen Knoop
    4: Malcolm O’Kelly
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Cameron Jowitt
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS FROM: Cian Healy, John Fogarty, Brian Blaney, Trevor Hogan, Sean O'Brien, Stephen Keogh, Kevin McLaughlin, Chris Keane, Paul O'Donohoe, Fergus McFadden, Luke Fitzgerald, Eoin O'Malley, Gary Brown, Simon Keogh, Girvan Dempsey

Very strong in the backs. Maybe with the exception of Horgan for Fitzgerald and putting Isa at right wing, Fitzgerald at left and Kearney at FB it would be our strongest backline.

Worryingly though, no sign of Stan. He picked up an injury in the Padova match, I don't know the extent, but that would leave us without our 2 first choice props for the opening 3 games of ML.

I will also be interested to see how Toner gets on. I'd really like to see him step up this season and along with Hogan put some pressure on that second lock position. Mal is a pure legend but barely has a season left in him, really need the replacement to make himself obvious this season.

looks like a good team with a decent mix of new and old. i am very excited to see this game now and kearney is always a great player to watch, always gives it all

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

don't suppose anyone knows where i can get even so much as score updates on this? in the uk at the minute but have a vested interest in the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

nice one, cheers

• Advertisement

48 - 19 to Leinster.

Was a good game, Kearney as always was superb. Played first half on the wing, but was better again at Full back. Man of the match imo.

O'Brien came on and was superb. Helay had a fantasic game too. Fogarty at hooker did well and line outs were good (although one or two stuttered) and scrum was very solid. Jackman took a knock and came off, hopefully nothing too serious.

Isa was good, played first half at Full back and second half at out-half. Sexton came off at half time with an eye injury but doesn't seem like anything too serious, he played well also. Oh and Jennings had a great game too.

Bad points were BO'D was quiet enough and Contepomis place kicking was very poor. Kicks he would normally slot would have put us into the 60's on the score board.

48 - 19 to Leinster.

Was a good game, Kearney as always was superb. Played first half on the wing, but was better again at Full back. Man of the match imo.

O'Brien came on and was superb. Helay had a fantasic game too. Fogarty at hooker did well and line outs were good (although one or two stuttered) and scrum was very solid. Jackman took a knock and came off, hopefully nothing too serious.

Isa was good, played first half at Full back and second half at out-half. Sexton came off at half time with an eye injury but doesn't seem like anything too serious, he played well also. Oh and Jennings had a great game too.

Bad points were BO'D was quiet enough and Contepomis place kicking was very poor. Kicks he would normally slot would have put us into the 60's on the score board.

Kearney was good as always, he is pretty consistent and i like it.

Sexton was bad in my eyes, kicks were terrible out of hand although I would have liked to see him taking the place kicks.

Overall the passing was a bit poor but i think this will improve as its the first game out and the backs do look like they are looking for different running lines and cut backs.

Also the lineout and scrum functioned well in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

defence was woeful...if we defend like that against any half decent team we will be destroyed.

BOD was very quiet. Contipomi's kicks at goal were shocking.

who was the sub tighthead (17)...for the life of me i can't think of his name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

[quote='[Jackass]
    Bad points were BO'D was quiet enough[/quote]

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

RuggieBear wrote: »
    defence was woeful...if we defend like that against any half decent team we will be destroyed.

Thats the 1 thing I noticed, Connacht and Ulster defended better didnt they?

This Qld Reds team were without their 5 or so Wallabies; local hero and now retired former Talisman David Croft, experienced utility Schifcofske, Reds legend Latho and experiecned scrum half Cordingly to name but a few.

It really was a touring party of kids and their was plenty of experince and regular combinations on the Leinster side so the lack lustret defence is a bit worrying. Nice to see scoring at will though would have been a great game just to watch.

I wonder when BOD will wake up again?

How was Whits at captain? So do we see Leo as captain , Whits at 2nd and Phil as 3rd for this season or Leo, Phil then Whits and this was a catainship due to the opostiion for Chris?

RuggieBear wrote: »

Jamie Hagan came on for Healy, that was the first time I ever saw him play, was decent enough for what I saw of him, only academy player but supposed to be promising enough. I think Blaney was thrown in at prop as well, unless he swopped with Fogarty cause they were both on the pitch at the same time. Thought they both only played hooker. :confused:

For me though, the biggest plus of the match was O'Brien. He was brilliant. I had heard that Gafney was saying that this guy is already putting pressure on Jennings for the No.7 jersey, and after seeing him I can well believe it. Some unbelieveable breaks from the guy, a good try, really strong and put in some big hits. I've no doubt this guy will add to the cover of backrow, which is pretty deep now with himself, Rocky, Heaslip, Jennings, Keogh & Jowitt.

Stan got injured in Italy (still don't know if it's serious or not though), Jackman got taken off tonight, and CJ is banned until late September. The whole first choice front row could be gone for the start of the season. (touch wood not though). But I thought Fogarty slotted in well and Healy was superb (did anyone see his wrestling style body slam clear out? Unbeliveable upper body strength) and McCormack did well so it's a decent enough back up front row imo.

The lack of depth is in the second row though. Hogan is adequete at the moment, but nothing more. He'll always do a decent job. Toner, for his size, just doesn't make the impact you'd expect. The guy towers over Mal for fecks sake, but doesn't seem to be able to dominate the lineout like he should and doesn't make a big impact around the fringes either.

I wouldn't be too worried about the backline, yet, the talent and depth is more than enough there and it's only a matter of getting the combinations right. In the second half they really started to open up and stretch their legs. Promisingly a fair few breaks came from the forwards also.

Defence in first half was shocking. For the most part, with the exception of Kearney covering they walked through for a couple of tries (although Kearney was caught out for one, but was trying to cover a 3 man overlap, Isa was caught out on another when the angles caught him out, again with an overlap) but in the second half it was a fair bit better.

I'm happy enough with it anyway, I'd expect a first match 15 will be in good shape next week for the kick off to the league. Great to get some live rugby back and can't wait for the kick off now. We'll wait and see how the 2 lads in the front row are over the week, but I don't expect it to be too bad, so trusting they'll be good to play and apart from waiting on the 3N boys to come in, we'll have a full squad for the start of the season bar D'Arcy, and let's hope this year we can keep the number down to max 1 at any one time and we'll have a serious chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The Queensland team certainly looked very young. Mind you the left winger looked to have some serious pace. They should have scored the first try when he made a great break, ran through the Leinster team from left to right and passed to his right winger just before the line only for the muppet to knock on.

Thought Leinster overelaborated a lot of their back play. It seemed they couldn't pass the ball down the line at all. The tendency to pass inside rugby league style was overdone, IMO. One of the few times they did in the second half they nearly got through for what would have been a great try but Dempsey just ran out of space.

One final thing: WTF was that PA system like? They spend all that money building a new stand and then make public announcements using an iPOD!!!!! Or they might have well for all the projection it had.

No wonder nobody knew who the subs were, unless you recognised them from before.

Splash out lads. Go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

we'll have a full squad for the start of the season bar D'Arcy, .

Still out :eek: tell ya the truth I thought no news was good news for the last while and assumed he must be back...

whats the go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

somethin along the lines of is injury is healing very very slowly but is healing. Reckon Nov at the earliest for his return.

If hagan was the 17 he annihilated his opposite number in the scrum. I was very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I wonder when BOD will wake up again?

How was Whits at captain? So do we see Leo as captain , Whits at 2nd and Phil as 3rd for this season or Leo, Phil then Whits and this was a catainship due to the opostiion for Chris?

He had a decent game last night and looked quite sharp. He made some nice half breaks and his offloads were of the usual high standard. He may not have tuned water into wine though or raised the dead, granted peace to the world and cured pestilence so maybe thta's why people thought he had a quiet game. :rolleyes:

Phil is not one of the vice captains this season. It's Cullen followed by Whitaker and Jennings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

BOD quiet? What game were you people watching?! Nice offloads, great half breaks, couple of magic flick passes... was in flying form.

Hagan was impressive, monster of a prop, and still only in the Academy. Pity the scrums went uncontested, he was beasting his opposite number. Healy was as good as ever, but I'm worried about Knoop - they guy has done really well when he's played, but is always injured!

O'Brien did well too, great cameo, as did McFadden.

Nacewa did better from FB then 10 I thought, though good in both. Ran some great lines and angles from the back. Thought Sexton did well too - don't get the criticism of his kicking, unless the poster had forgotten about the ELV changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

One final thing: WTF was that PA system like? They spend all that money building a new stand and then make public announcements using an iPOD!!!!! Or they might have well for all the projection it had.

There's no PA system built into the stand!! it was over looked and now they have to put one in so all they have is a microphone and speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Damo.Smith

ya and its very annoying

Advertisement