Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on "Irish" UK Car

Options
  • 29-08-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I am looking at a car in the UK at the moment . It was originally bought new in Ireland in 2002 and taken back to the UK the same day . Would VRT have been paid on this car by default ? If I was to buy this car and bring it back to Ireland would I have to pay VRT on it . I would assume not as VRT would have been paid on it in 2002 when it was bought new .
    Anybody out there ever done anything like this ?. I will ring the VRT office on Monday but I its never easy to get an answer from them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On an export like that, no VRT would have been paid, as it wasn't registered here.

So the VRO will treat it like any other import.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The car would have been exported under a ZZ plate if i'm not mistaken, which means that VRT would have not been payed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

If the VRT was paid on the car here before it was exported you dont have to pay it again.
    I bought a car in the Uk that was purchased and used in ireland for a year before the owner returned with it to the uk, I rang the vrt office and the they at first said yes I have to pay it and when i asked for a manager I was told since it was paid when purchased it will never have to be paid again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As peasant & delly said, the car will have been bought here tax-free for immediate export to the UK, and will therefore be liable for VRT. I've brought in a car that had previously been registered here, no VRT was due on that. Just to be sure, ask the seller whether the car was registered here and, if so, what the reg was. If it doesn't start with an '02', then i'm afraid you're out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Hi guys, question on a similiar note !

I bought a car brand new when i lived in the UK, then moved home and fortunate enough to be VRT exempt here due time in UK, and now would like to bring it back to UK for a trade in as I have my eye on a few cars over there and better selection then here of course.
    What costs aor paper work will i have to endure to bring it back to UK for a dealership trade in.???

• Advertisement

yaeger wrote: »
    Hi guys, question on a similiar note !

I bought a car brand new when i lived in the UK, then moved home and fortunate enough to be VRT exempt here due time in UK, and now would like to bring it back to UK for a trade in as I have my eye on a few cars over there and better selection then here of course.
    What costs aor paper work will i have to endure to bring it back to UK for a dealership trade in.???
    Has it been registered here for 12 months? If so, sell it here - you'll get quite a bit more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Well the plan is to try and sell it here in Ireland, but with the way the market is i am just covering all options ! I will have it here the 12 months very shortly and then will be trying for a private sell....failing that i consider back to uk option for a trade as the car i want is not sold here by any dealership!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Be sure that the UK dealer will take it as a trade in (and will give you a decent trade-in price for it) - the UK car market is doing as badly as the Irish one, and larger-engined cars are likely to attract very poor trade-in offers right now (not sure what your car is, but you might not want to rely on the UK trade-in route).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 TimMcC

Anan1 wrote: »
    As peasant & delly said, the car will have been bought here tax-free for immediate export to the UK, and will therefore be liable for VRT. I've brought in a car that had previously been registered here, no VRT was due on that. Just to be sure, ask the seller whether the car was registered here and, if so, what the reg was. If it doesn't start with an '02', then i'm afraid you're out of luck.

Hi Anan1
    Thanks for the replies . The person selling informed me by email that he still has the Irish plates so I am assuming that the car was registered here and that it wasn't brand new when he bought it . I need to contact him by phone to clear up the details but I am correct in thinking that if it had
    Irish plates then the VRT must have been paid on it ?.

Thanks
    Tim

TimMcC wrote: »
    I am correct in thinking that if it had
    Irish plates then the VRT must have been paid on it ?

Should be the case - you might check the Irish reg with your local VRO in Irl as belonging to the car in question (just to clear up any potential confusion before you actually pay the money and land the car in Irl).

It could be a great buy - the vendor should be selling it at local UK prices, but you won't have to add VRT, as it already got paid in 2002.

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »
    Should be the case - you might check the Irish reg with your local VRO in Irl as belonging to the car in question (just to clear up any potential confusion before you actually pay the money and land the car in Irl).

It could be a great buy - the vendor should be selling it at local UK prices, but you won't have to add VRT, as it already got paid in 2002.

Hi Type 17,
    That what I am thinking myself could be a good deal . I wonder could I just stick the old Irish plates back on it and continue on as if it never left the country ? Or would the old number have been deleated in the Vec Reg database and cause a problem when taxing it .

Thanks
    Tim

Hi Type 17,
    That what I am thinking myself could be a good deal . I wonder could I just stick the old Irish plates back on it and continue on as if it never left the country ? Or would the old number have been deleated in the Vec Reg database and cause a problem when taxing it .

Thanks
    Tim
    You'd have to bring the car to your local VRO for examination and reregistration here. It's straightforward enough, though - they just need to satisfy themselves that it's still the same car.

That plate (and its car) will be marked as permanently exported from Irl, so you will need to go to your local VRO to re-import it. This is the only way that you will get a VLC as well. It will be the same procedure as bringing in a UK car, except that you already have an index mark (registration number) issued, and the VRT is already paid.

This is the same for any Irish car which has been off the (Irish) roads for some years - my brother even had to re-register an original Irish '89 car which had been taken off the road in 1991, and therefore hadn't made it onto the new computerised system in the early 90's. (Kept the 89 reg of course, but had to fill in a few forms to reconfirm everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

yaeger wrote: »
    Well the plan is to try and sell it here in Ireland, but with the way the market is i am just covering all options ! I will have it here the 12 months very shortly and then will be trying for a private sell....failing that i consider back to uk option for a trade as the car i want is not sold here by any dealership!

i moved from NI to here a few years back and was allowed to re-reg my car (VRT free)under a 'transfer of residence' clause of something like that however for you to buy a second car in the UK you may need to be living there for a further 12 months to be VRT free when you take it over here.
    I also agree it would be better to sell your current car here in Ireland first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi Anan1
    Thanks for the replies . The person selling informed me by email that he still has the Irish plates so I am assuming that the car was registered here and that it wasn't brand new when he bought it . I need to contact him by phone to clear up the details but I am correct in thinking that if it had
    Irish plates then the VRT must have been paid on it ?.

Thanks
    Tim

Are you sure that the car actually exists, have you seen it (and not just pictures)?

This is beginning to sound fishy ...how long has this car been driving on Irish plates in the UK?

Maybe someone is trying to scam you

peasant wrote: »
    Are you sure that the car actually exists, have you seen it (and not just pictures)?

This is beginning to sound fishy ...how long has this car been driving on Irish plates in the UK?

Maybe someone is trying to scam you

The car has never been driven in the UK on Irish plates . It was bought new in Ireland and exported to the UK the same day and then registered in the UK with English plates

Tim

The car has never been driven in the UK on Irish plates . It was bought new in Ireland and exported to the UK the same day and then registered in the UK with English plates

Tim
    I'd bet money that delly's right and the car made the trip on tax-free Irish export (ZZ) plates.

Advertisement