Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leaving Cert History: Heavy Metal?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I know it has had influence on the people into it, but it's very difficult to prove it. It's just easier doing something which has event/big dates/numbers of casualties etc. I was dead set on doing my project on the Pre Raphaelite group at the start of the year, but I went with something more meaty and ultimately ended up getting probably an A for it. Final project had lots of political things and human interest as well, I really enjoyed it. Didn't have to wade through lots of vague art historical texts, music is the same, mostly evidence is just some person's opinion. Half the mark's go for criticising and analysing sources.

You're very right though in going for something you have a personal interest in, it shows in the essay I think. Just maybe looking into other thing a bit more could work out better is all I'm saying. I'd hate to see anyone losing points on the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

612px-Metal_Genealogy.jpg

Close-up view can be located here for your convenience.

That list has a lot of errors in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    That list has a lot of errors in it.

Yeah, there are a few errors in it that require fixing up, like how it says Cradle of Filth are part of the Norwegian Black Metal scene, even though they're English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

VH1 had a great documentary about the history of metal. Starting with Black Sabbath and then into Led Zeppelin, on to Alice Cooper (shocking stage productions) and Kiss (Disco) then the emergence of punk and how metal has never been wiped out by any genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the idea of picking out a particular area in music of historical reference is a good one. but you really really need to drive home the idea of "History" not the music.

for example two essays you could attempt are the imagry of metal and its anti christian values.

1) talk about black sabbath/Judas Priest/marilyn manson and their links to high school murders etc.it is a definite example ofmusic influencing society

2) talk about Black Metal/satanism/burning of churches and how it was viewed in Norway and the general public. this is a historic time as it shows the move of etal from corpse paint to people (possible fools) taking it to the next level and committing murder etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

And for research into that latter suggestion of smack's, there's a book called Lords of Chaos that covers the whole Norwegian BM scene and its craziness. Tower Records currently have it (in the metal CD section, not in the book section but maybe in the book section but I didn't look there, I just saw it in the CD section while I was browsing so I know it's there for definite but I have it already so I didn't really pay much attention to how much it is or anything like that and I love stupidly long sentences that served their purpose at the very beginning of said sentence but I'll stop now).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think it doesn't matter what the subject is, you'll be graded for your ability to do historical research and present it well. If you find this interesting it just means you'll have an easier time. Go for it!

Advertisement