Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something Annoying

Options
  • 29-08-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

So I'm doing Arts, and got around to registering today.

Firstly I picked Psychology, Sociology and Politics, and two electives, one in Japenese and the other in Computer Science.

I finished registering my modules in the subjects I had chosen to find I only had 55 credits, Psychology only letting me do 2 modules.

It turns out I was late (I was in work today, and only managed to get to it after), and Psych had filled up.

I rang UCD, the nice woman on the other end of the line knew less than me about the whole mess. She revealed though that I could take an elective in Psych still, places had been left for "passers by" while people who actually wanted to do the feckin course are left out to dry.

I dont know what to do, but for now I've dropped Japenese, and taken one of the psych electives, but to get all 60 credits I had to take on Information Studies, something that I have exactly zero interest in, I've even had to go over the 60 to 65 because I have to take a minimum of 2 modules in the poxy subject.

Can anyone help, would getting in touch with the Psych school to ask if they could rearrange stuff for me work, or am I stuck doing IS?

Also if I am stuck with IS, could I drop it in second year?

I know thats pretty tl;dr but I need help, and thanks to anyone who replies to this!

Also, IS doesn't seem to let me pick the second module that it requires, its nothing to do with scheduling, it just wont let me pick a second option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Please don't call someone a 'slow b*tch', you'd be quite surprised who reads this forum. Didn't register early? Tough - First come, first served.

You also have to pay for the extra credit module, it's about e350. I doubt the Psych school will help, you're not an SSM student. Yes you can drop IS in second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Please don't call someone a 'nice woman'

I'll watch what I say then, but whats wrong with 'nice woman'?

Is there any remedy then? I mean I dont want to have to pay money for something I dont want.

I'll watch what I say then, but whats wrong with 'nice woman'?

Is there any remedy then?
    Don't edit and then lie - just keep that garbage to yourself, please.

Generally it's first come, first served - so unless they release extra spaces it's full. You can't pick psychology as a major in year two & three, FYI. There's also three other politics classes you might be interested in:

POL10050 - Issues in World Development

POL10080 - Great Books I: Power

POL10100 - Ireland and the EU

Maybe if you did 4 politics, 4 sociology, whatever psych you can get (2?), and then electives in politics to make up the two electives, or the Japanese and Comp Sci ones. That makes up 60 credits.

Don't edit and then lie - just keep that garbage to yourself, please.

It was meant as a joke.

Thanks for the help but how do you add these? They're not in the options and I cant see anywhere where you can input a code.

You can't pick psychology as a major in year two & three, FYI.

I still have no idea about what I wanted to do, so naturally I picked arts. As of right now, I can see myself doing another degree or whatever afterwards.

Thanks for the help but how do you add these? They're not in the options and I cant see anywhere where you can input a code.

I still have no idea about what I wanted to do, so naturally I picked arts. As of right now, I can see myself doing another degree or whatever afterwards.
    You can take the three I listed as electives, i.e. you select them from the electives page. Just choose politics, level one, and they should pop up.

I meant you can't pick psychology as a major through Arts omnibus (i.e. take 30 credits a year in year two and three) it is only available as a minor or Single Subject Major. SSM is only available through denominated entry. I just thought I'd tell you in case you were trying to pick psychology predicated on continuing it as a major.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

just to check, can you pick history as a major? im assuming not as there is another history course in ucd.

Raemie wrote: »
    just to check, can you pick history as a major? im assuming not as there is another history course in ucd.
    You can indeed pick history as a major (with a minor), joint major, or as a minor - through Arts omnibus. SSM History is the denominated entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

oh right, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

sorry to sound harsh, but your not the first person to run into problems registering for ucd. you were the one who was late, you should have made it your business to get up early and register before work, do you honestly think your the only person registering that has a job??
    i think not!

I was never saying I was treated unfairly, I was saying it was annoying. I know I was late.

The point is that I can still take the module but I have to do it through electives, meaning that end up with less credits, so I have to take up another subject, even though there are places left.

If things were just a little different they'd be great. But they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

You also have to pay for the extra credit module, it's about e350.

I asked at the fees desk today and they said it will be around €485...

dhaddock wrote: »
    I asked at the fees desk today and they said it will be around €485...
    485 for an extra credit elective? It was only 330 last year.

are you sure? i have to take an extra elective this year and went to fees for a price check. the guy got out his calculator and worked out this years price. i then asked if it had gone up since last year and he said it was about €20 dearer than last year...

Actually, I understand now what you meant. If you're in: Agriculture/Architecture/Computer Science (BA & BSc/Engineering/ Mathematical Science/ Nursing/Science/Sports Management/Theoretical Physics then you pay 495.

Actuarial & Financial/Arts/ BBLS/Commerce/Economics & Finance/Law/ Music/Social Science pay 344 according to the fees site. Psych is under Arts/Human Science.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/fees/fees/repeat/first_year.htm

ah i see. its a bit of a difference for us poor students.

on topic: i feel your pain OP, when i did first year, i was late registering and psychology was full and i was stuck with geography for a year which i hated. CS all the way from now on though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

There is a lot of chopping and changing until registration closes, people register for courses and decide they dont like them after the first few classes. If I were you I would be stuck on the module registration page refreshing every second waiting for a place in the one you want to open up. I got into a good few of my modules like this.

Advertisement