Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in college?

Options
  • 29-08-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just saw this question in TCD Board. Kinda scared me.

I'm about to start Engineering but I also just got a job in the local GAA club bar to keep the beer tokens comin while I'm in college?

Is this a bad idea in terms of grades and social life? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

I'd say if you are an undergrad that gets a job won't be a problem. Obviously a course like engineering might be a bit more 9-5 than an Arts course but as far as I'm aware, the majority of your work/study is within those hours whereas an Arts student *technically* should be studying a lot more outside class hours.

Basically, I think you should be fine with a job in a shop or a bar or something. Try not to work more than 15 hours a week - unless it's a particularly empty week or whatever. That's usually the recommended amount. But yeah, try a job and see how it goes. If you don't have time, then give it up but you might as well see. Don't feel guilty bout leaving if it's too much.

I worked last year in a music venue as part of our Student's Union. It was great to have the extra money and I loved the job. When I had my exams etc, they were pretty flexible when I let them know in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I worked 35 hours a week during my degree, and 40 hours a week during my masters. I did well in both.

As long as you put in a bit of study throughout the year, and take college seriously, you won't have any problems working part-time while studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no one can really tell you how much or how little you can work.

everyone is different at balancing work and college work. it may work for one person but may not work for you. only you can tell if you can do it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

It depends on the person. In first year I had about 30 hours of lectures plus at least 30 hours project work and worked 20 hours a week. Yes I still had a social life. It kind of drained me so then I dropped down to 12 hours a week work ontop of college and finaly I gave up qork at easter in 2nd Year.

I am now faced with the prospect of having to go back to a job since funds are low and I should be able to manage about 12 - 16 hours a week in it but if I had to I will be pushes (grudgingly) to 20 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

turnip, tbh it depends how far from college you live. I found the whole day of lectures followed by 40mins walking and hour on a dart jam packed at rush hour just drained me too much.

you're going into DT025 right? Last year I averaged around 32 hours of lectures/labs a week depending on the week. A lot of the time that meant being in at 9 and off at 5-6. Sometimes you'll have time off during the day. Some people did work and managed to pass exams but there were a LOT that didn't. Keep your job and try it, you might be able to manage it but if you find out you're not able to keep up don't hesitate to leave the job. Don't sacrafice all your time on review weeks either - if you fall behind they're valueable hours you shouldn't waste and you could end up sitting in an exam a few months later just wishing you hadn't worked all review week and had studied instead.

Don't be put off by that though, try it. If it's for you it'll work ok, if not you'll know it because you'll only make it in for 10-11ish and sleep until luch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Its true about review weeks. I did most of my project work in these weeks. Dont let you employer know your off. Unfortunatily where I worked there were other DIT students there too who did extra shifts which meant I was asked to but when given the chance in a review week I wouldnt work.

Advertisement