Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Mountain Bike

Options
  • 29-08-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

Is there any good advice on cleaning a mountain bike after a trail?

I checked out some vids online and the standard process is to wash it down with water, dry off an lube the chain every now and again.

How important is it to hand dry the bike? Will leaving it to dry off in a garden shed leave it prone to rusting or cause any long term damage to the chain etc?

Any advice or tips welcome.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't imagine there is any need to hand-dry the bike itself, but you would want to re-lube the chain immediately after cleaning it as yes, it will rust if left to dry by itself. I just wipe off with a cloth and re-lube. The oil repels the water anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The chain is the part most prone to rusting - make sure you dry it with a rag and oil it immediately after washing (and after any wet rides). The rest of the bike should be fine - just drop it a few time to shake off some of the water and let it dry outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gercon

Good to know, cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Morgan wrote: »
    and let it dry outside.

Assuming it's not raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Depends on the kind of bike really. If its a full sus frame you should be careful when it comes to the pivots and bushings. Hot water, pressure washers and degreasing detergents can remove the grease. Not a good thing.

Same care should be taken around your fork seals, headset, hubs, anything with bearings and grease.

Use WD40 or something similar on your cables to get any water out of the outers and prolong the cable life. I'd usually spray a bit into those little holes in the frame if its a steel frame. Keep the sh*t away from pivots and bearings cause it'll break down the grease like a degreaser. keep it away from disk brakes too cause it'll f*ck 'em up.

If it's been a particularly soupy ride i'd clean the chain and cassette properly to get all the grit out of the links.
    Lots of degreaser and a good chain cleaner make this far easier than soap and water. Make sure the chain is dry before you re lube it.

I know all this sounds like a pain in the swiss but it'll prolong the life of your components and reduce the chance of you walking home from the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I use one of these 00000117781-FirstAlertFE3A40FireExtinguisher-large.jpeg

Refill it with water, pump it up with track stand and Hey Presto, it's a portable bike washer!

What fastback says goes too though. I only use it to rinse the frame quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Yeah, forgot to mention that bit. Most important of all the wash techniques!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

'68 wrote:
    Depends on the kind of bike really. If its a full sus frame you should be careful when it comes to the pivots and bushings. Hot water, pressure washers and degreasing detergents can remove the grease. Not a good thing.
    Not to mention the danger of forcing water into bearings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭CursedSkeptic

I usually use a garden hose to get the heavy dirt off and then use a cloth on the small parts. A pen knife can be useful for getting dirt out of any small parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Without trying to hijack your thread can I ask what is the best way to generally maintain the underside of the frame and in and around the front & back derailers? I seem to get a fair build up of oil and general gunge that seems a bugger to shift without taking the thing apart. I wouldn't have the confidence to go messing with the gears. It's one of my reasons for considering getting a single speed. Cheers all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement