Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC: Their at it again!. Gurrrr

Options
  • 29-08-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

An email from Lillian Colgan at 'Deed not Breed'...

YES HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

Dublin City Council are trying to implement a ban on restricted breeds being owned by council tenants, this is discrimination at its very least and it is an infringement on your human rights, responsible dog owners and council tenants are being treated as second class citizens in yet another example of Ireland's two-tier
    Society.
    Just because some people can’t afford to buy their home does not make council tenants irresponsible or incapable of controlling and owning a dog regardless of breed,
    Council tenants have till September 30th to neuter and microchip their dogs or face eviction.

There has been no change in legislation and there has been no bylaws passed
    This is just intimidation and bullying by Dublin City Council and if we lie down and accept this what will be next???

We must remind our councillors we have a very important election coming up in 2009 and if any council parties are supporting discrimination in turning council tenants into second class citizens we can fix this next year in the election!

we all need to stand together, this also effects where we can walk our dogs most of the parks and roads are owned by the council, how are we suppose to socialize our dogs, these dogs are not illegal in this country but it is being made impossible to own one ,
    This is just the first step up the ladder for a nation wide ban , if dcc get away with this other councils will follow.

Deed NOT Breed Dublin is a group of volunteers who will be organising a peaceful protest outside Dublin City Council building Fishamble Street On Thursday September 4th @ 1pm

** (NO DOGS PLEASE) **

Contact Deed NOT Breed Dublin and show your support in joining this protest and stand up for your rights and to own a dog regardless of breed.

**We all know dogs are not the problem here irresponsible owners are! **

For more information contact: Deed Not Breed Dublin, 086-8479326/086-3085541

This drives me crazy, hopefully I'll attend the protest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Just to give the other side, I have a friend who lives in what could be a very nice block of council flats. But one of the neighbours, a man with some form (ahem) has two pit bulls, which he allows to roam freely.

When the council comes to query him, he claims that he's just minding them for a relative who lives elsewhere. As soon as the council people are gone, the dogs are out again, lurking around the stairs and scaring the little kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

if the goverment wants to intorduce a danger ous dog act, why dont they have the bloody common sense to have something like a course that has to be sat when you are buying a so called dangerous dog. then if you are caught with a "dangerous" dog in your possesion without a said course or "license to have one then they should throw the book at you. that would stop the uneducated "i look hard with my rottie and pit bull" types people from buying them. and people who genuinally want to have the breeds as well minded pets can have their dogs to their hearts content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Typical uneducated way of dealing with things...very frustrating.

I read the other day that Holland scraped their dangerous dog act because it didnt make any difference at all. I just wish the counsellors and Gov of this country would think with their brains for a change and not their azzes.

I'll try to be at this rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

luckat wrote: »
    Just to give the other side, I have a friend who lives in what could be a very nice block of council flats. But one of the neighbours, a man with some form (ahem) has two pit bulls, which he allows to roam freely.

When the council comes to query him, he claims that he's just minding them for a relative who lives elsewhere. As soon as the council people are gone, the dogs are out again, lurking around the stairs and scaring the little kids.

All they have to do then is to ask for name and address of the alleged owner and go there and ask for dog licenses etc. I can't see why he would get away with lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

luckat wrote: »

How is that the other side of the coin, all that points to is an example of a bad owner and not a dangerous dog (or two).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mairt: I think he meant it was an example of bad ownership, as opposed to other council tenants who take the time to look after their dogs in a responsible manner.

tallus wrote: »
    Mairt: I think he meant it was an example of bad ownership, as opposed to other council tenants who take the time to look after their dogs in a responsible manner.

I know, that only dawned on me this morning actually.

Luckat apologises for taking you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think I'm a little dyslexic at times myself, I read posts wrongly.
    Saw a guy with the biggest dog I have ever seen yesterday, in a council estate! One of those Japanese dogs, was a big as a horse, and kids were petting it on the head.
    Largest dog I have ever seen and so well behaved. Not really a dog person myself but it was nice to see a positive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

There are good tenants/there are bad tenants. There are good people in private ownership/there are bad people in private ownership.

DCC as landlords to tens of thousands of people have an obligation to protect people from dangerous dogs.

While I do not agree with a blanket ban, I 100% support the policy of dogs on the "banned list" not being allowed in flat/apartment complexes.

I've seen 1st hand some very dangerous dogs being kept in common shared areas putting residents and particularly children at great risk.

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    While I do not agree with a blanket ban, I 100% support the policy of dogs on the "banned list" not being allowed in flat/apartment complexes.

I've seen 1st hand some very dangerous dogs being kept in common shared areas putting residents and particularly children at great risk.

Whats this "banned list"?.

And these "very dangerous dogs", what kind of dogs were they (breeds?) and did you actually witness attacks on all these people "at great risk"?.

Finally, as these people were at great risk, what steps did you take to make these poor unfortunetes safer?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Mairt wrote: »
    An email from Lillian Colgan at 'Deed not Breed'...

Council tenants have till September 30th to neuter and microchip their dogs or face eviction.

Am I missing something in the email because all I can see is that council tenants are being told to have their dogs neutered and microchipped, why is that a problem? :confused:

Arcadian wrote: »
    Am I missing something in the email because all I can see is that council tenants are being told to have their dogs neutered and microchipped, why is that a problem? :confused:

Well I'm not in the mood for getting into a long debate here, and I'm guessing your new to this debate anyway - sorry if I appear short.

But you really don't see a problem with compulsary neutering of a select breed of dog?.. (a little hint - culling a breed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Evidence?? Was any injured by these "dangerous dogs"?

This is typical ____(insert any city/county in the country) Council bullying. What pisses me off about this attitude is most of the time the KNOW the individuals who USE their pets to create these type of problems and yet like Anti social behaviour problems totally REFUSE to do anything to deal with problem tenents and yet have the gall to try and introduce these type of bullying tactics:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

the goverment/council are so stupid that they don't realise good owner = friendly dog bad owner = unstable dog (possibly, or just neglected and miserable!) it's nothing to do with the dogs breed, any dog that does have "issues" it's usually the fault of the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

I wonder how is the council going to check that a dog has been neutered and microchipped.:confused:..also how are they going to know that a tenant has a restricted breed if the dog has no papers? most dog wardens couldn't say the difference between a pitbull and a labrador...:D
    It seems all intimidation to me, they don't have the appropriate structures/process to implement it - other than sending their bullies door-to-door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

most dog wardens couldn't say the difference between a pitbull and a labrador...

That made me laugh, although is is actually quite sad, really. I have been sent the weirdest breeds and x breeds as Pit Bulls. One was supposed to be a Pit Bull x pup and turned out to be a fully grown Whippet x. I could go on like that forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Mairt wrote: »
    Well I'm not in the mood for getting into a long debate here, and I'm guessing your new to this debate anyway - sorry if I appear short.

But you really don't see a problem with compulsary neutering of a select breed of dog?.. (a little hint - culling a breed)

Whoa Mairt,Stall de ball there!
    I thought that this forum was pro-animals.Compulsive neutering+compulsive neutering contracts are a great thing.
    If a dog is neutered then there is no chance of it having a load of pups and then that load of pups having to be killed.I'd love to say that we live in a hoity-toity ideal fantasy world where every dog-owner and breeder is a responsible owner/breeder . . . . .but unfortunately we dont.

A flat(private or corporation) is no place to breed a dog.PERIOD.
    If the DCC are trying to prevent residents from owning dogs that is wrong and shouldn't happen. . . . but it is 100pc write to prevent 'accidents' and irresponsible breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

I would agree with the last post.I am an avid animal lover and have just re-homed a rescue dog.A beautiful labrador, who has been neutered btw.
    There is far too many dogs,cats etc etc in pounds and shelters up and down the country.By neutering our pets we are preventing more and more unwanted animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

+1 support for DCC on this, to say they are culling a breed is ridiculous. these dogs shouldnt be bred in council flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

They shoud clamp down on irresponsible owners of any breed, not just pick on the so called dangerous breeds, anyone who knows anything about these dogs know they are the most friendly dogs of all.

Culling a breed type is wrong, Hitler might support it though.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

To be honest there are owners of some non-restricted breeds out there that are the most vicious dogs ive ever met. They dont live in council flats either.

If they want to ban dogs in apartments i understand that, but it should be a case of all dogs. Council tenants are just that tenants and have to abide by whatever the "landlord" council enforces just as private tenants have to. They can object but if the support isnt there the council wont take them seriously. But if they live in council houses i really dont see why they would also have to abide by this.

cowzerp wrote: »
    They shoud clamp down on irresponsible owners of any breed, not just pick on the so called dangerous breeds, anyone who knows anything about these dogs know they are the most friendly dogs of all.

Culling a breed type is wrong, Hitler might support it though.
    ah good old godwins law, uv never let a forum down!!!

They asked that people neuter and chip their dogs. not put them down. neutering is a good thing.

zuroph wrote: »
    ah good old godwins law, uv never let a forum down!!!

They asked that people neuter and chip their dogs. not put them down. neutering is a good thing.

There phasing the dog type out, a different form of culling, killing with kindness you might say.

thats not phasing the dog out, its stopping it from being bred in council housing. they can be bred anywhere else.

thats where it starts

cowzerp wrote: »
    thats where it starts
    its poland all over again eh?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

There seems to be a continuing assumption that all council housing are flats/apartments, this certainly isn't true.

I suppose it has only been the last 10 years or so that apartment blocks have become common place. But in other parts of Europe people have kept all breeds of dogs in apartments. Of course, some breeds of dogs need more exercise then others and enjoy exercise more but the size of your back garden is pretty irrelevant to this. For the majority of dogs, the required exercise comes from walking and not from running around the back yard. So if you want to keep your greyhound in your flat that's fine by me, as long as you walk it regularly and give it an opportunity to run in responsible circumstances.

In terms of this DCC ban I completely agree with the other posters that this will be very difficult to strictly enforce. I can't see a legal standpoint where an owner of a Staffordshire Bull Terrior X can't just claim there is no Pitbull/illegal breed in him. Surely it's up to the council to prove your breed is what they say it is. I don't approve of the ban either and I agree with the idea that the irresponsible owners/handlers are to blame.

However, I would support a compulsive neutering/spaying and microchipping legislation for all breeds of dog and cat in Ireland unless the owner had applied for a special breeders license. This will cut down on unwanted strays and unscrupulous breeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

To me this means the breed's will be bred more responcibly and given the room the need to be healthy.
    I'd never agree with culling a breed, some of my favourite breeds are apparently 'dangerous', favourite being the Staffordshire Bull Terrier's.

Would you not agree that responcible breeding would result in less 'accidents' and more stable dogs?

Seems like a good idea to me.

zuroph wrote: »
    thats not phasing the dog out, its stopping it from being bred in council housing. they can be bred anywhere else.

If you know the history behind this campaign you'll know that DCC along with The Greens and Joe Costello of The Labour party have proposed to bring this policy in nation wide.

Its in everyone's interest to stop this.

• Advertisement

Id be more in favour of breeders licences across the entire dog population of ireland.

Advertisement