Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC: Their at it again!. Gurrrr

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

A flat(private or corporation) is no place to breed a dog.PERIOD.
    If the DCC are trying to prevent residents from owning dogs that is wrong and shouldn't happen. . . . but it is 100pc write to prevent 'accidents' and irresponsible breeding.

does it mean that only people who live in council houses/flats are irresponsible breeders??? I don't recall having read that the new rules are to prevent irresponsible breeding - that would be too articulated for the council - or to avoid the stray problem in Ireland. Actually I don't recall having read any explanations for these rules at all...

Breeding is not the issue here and it just adds more discrimination to the council tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

forgive if I'm wrong, arent neutered dogs more docile and better behaved?

also, can someone fix the spelling mistake in the title?! it really grinds with me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

zuroph wrote: »
    also, can someone fix the spelling mistake in the title?! it really grinds with me :D

Sorry, it shud have bean fife R's instead off fure, my misteak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Mairt wrote: »
    Sorry, it shud have bean fife R's instead off fure, my misteak.
    lol, nothing personal, just hate how often that is misspelled!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Mairt - given your previous experience of the amount of stray Staffs and similar breeds in the pound, many of which will be put to sleep, do you not think we need better control, possibly via government legislation, on the reproduction of dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

As a rescue and a bull breed rescue at that - I am the last person who would say: breed more dogs. however, the most common breed in Ireland to be thrown away/disposed of is the Greyhound, closely followed by collies and collie crosses - yet no one is considering compulsary spaying/neutering for those breeds. What riles me is that the compulsary neuter thingy is JUST FOR THE RESTRICTED BREEDS. So obviously its ok to breed Great Danes in a council flat or Bull Kutta's.

I am sorry but one rule for all or one rules all?

The plight of Staffie and Staffie x and APBT in the pounds is so severe because very few rescues take them. And THAT is the real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Justin Walsh

Im sorry but this debate on "Dangerous Dogs" has gone on too long frankly our Government has not got the mental capacity to create a Law or licensing system that would solve some of the problems responsible dog owners are having i.e bans on dangerous dogs.
    Just for the record not all of the young males you see with these banned dogs have them "to be hard" I know many young guys with pit bulls staffs rotties etc that give the dog everything it needs training,socialization with kids,adults;other animals etc and because of how they look they are scrutinized about having these dogs!As I have said I know many responsible dog owners but of course their are and always will be, regardless of licensing or laws, muppets who do not know how to look after a dog of ANY breed!
    Someone here mentioned seeing a large Japanese type dog in a council estate which was very well behaved I too have a Jap type of dog (I have an Akita) and they are a very placid dog once you set their boundaries just like every other breed I have ever had to pleasure of dealing with!

Mairt - given your previous experience of the amount of stray Staffs and similar breeds in the pound, many of which will be put to sleep, do you not think we need better control, possibly via government legislation, on the reproduction of dogs?

We need better control of ALL dogs/owners & breeders and proper enforcement of existing laws in relation to same. And not just for dogs on the restricted breeds list.

As for dogs in the pounds, look through any of the sites which look after rehoming pound dogs and see how many bull breeds you see compared to others like Collies, JRT's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Sorry guys I shouldn't had made it sound like there are more "pitbulls" in the pounds that other breeds. I'd agree with you MArit and that's what I actually said earlier - police all breeders of all breeds. Won't solve the problem, certainly not over night but hopefully will prevent puppy farms etc.

There are actually hundreds of Irish grey hounds being rehomed abroad, in places like Finland. It's absolutely appaling what happens to some greyhounds who don't make the considered grade. WAsn't there a story recently of a guy that had hundreds of dogs buried in his farm? Polluting the environment as well as terribly unethical.

Justin Walsh you wouldn't have a picture of your akita you could post up here. lovely breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i notice that dublin council have the bulldog onthe banned dog list ? strange because the bulldog is no longer on the dangerous dog list in ireland {who has ever known of a british bull dog bite anyone} i have had them for years .when i bring mine over to ireland kids love to pat and play with him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Bulldog's aren't on the banned list.
    Where did you read this?

LovelyTom wrote: »
    Bulldog's aren't on the banned list.
    Where did you read this?

We have a "banned list" too?.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tallus wrote: »
    Saw a guy with the biggest dog I have ever seen yesterday, in a council estate! One of those Japanese dogs, was a big as a horse, and kids were petting it on the head.

Whereabouts was that?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Bambi: Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

oh right, it sounded like it might be my lad you saw:pac:

Apparantly theres a protest about this tomorrow outside civic offices

Mairt wrote: »
    We have a "banned list" too?.

Ok sorry, restricted breeds.
    Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't think there's anything wrong with people having to neuter and microchip their animals. I see the point that it's unfair to discriminate between a collie and a pitbull by saying you only have to neuter the pitbull - they should all have to be neutered.

I believe there should be three types of pet licence - the licence for people who want to show their pets, and subsequently may have un-neutered pets; the licence for people who want to breed their pets, and subsequently may have un-neutered pets; and the licence for everyone else. The first two - shower's licence and breeder's licence, should both be subject to a home visit before granting. As for "How can you enforce that", dog wardens can easily tell if an animal is neutered if vets implement the tattoo system - while the animal is under general anaesthetic being neutered, the vet tattoos the inside of their ear with a small symbol to indicate this animal has been neutered.

Perhaps there should even be a fourth licensing system for people with working dogs - but if you have a gun dog, perhaps you should have to produce your gun licence before you get your working dog licence.

Again, I don't see why people shouldn't have to do these things. A bitch in heat is a hassle. A pregnant bitch is a hassle. Trying to home a litter of mongrel puppies is a hassle. Having to deal with those hassles every time they crop up in the life of an un-neutered bitch is a major hassle. One quick operation, in my mind, is far less hassle.

I also don't see the problem of people living in close-quarters accommodation having to neuter and microchip their dogs.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people having to neuter and microchip their animals. I see the point that it's unfair to discriminate between a collie and a pitbull by saying you only have to neuter the pitbull - they should all have to be neutered.

I believe there should be three types of pet licence - the licence for people who want to show their pets, and subsequently may have un-neutered pets; the licence for people who want to breed their pets, and subsequently may have un-neutered pets; and the licence for everyone else. The first two - shower's licence and breeder's licence, should both be subject to a home visit before granting. As for "How can you enforce that", dog wardens can easily tell if an animal is neutered if vets implement the tattoo system - while the animal is under general anaesthetic being neutered, the vet tattoos the inside of their ear with a small symbol to indicate this animal has been neutered.

Perhaps there should even be a fourth licensing system for people with working dogs - but if you have a gun dog, perhaps you should have to produce your gun licence before you get your working dog licence.

Again, I don't see why people shouldn't have to do these things. A bitch in heat is a hassle. A pregnant bitch is a hassle. Trying to home a litter of mongrel puppies is a hassle. Having to deal with those hassles every time they crop up in the life of an un-neutered bitch is a major hassle. One quick operation, in my mind, is far less hassle.

I also don't see the problem of people living in close-quarters accommodation having to neuter and microchip their dogs.

Feeling a little lazy today?.

this is the list of banned dogs in ireland , from[ irishdogs ie] american pitbull, english bull terrier, staffy, the bulldog,the bandog,{its the same dog but dont tell the person who first put it on the list},the bullmastiff,the doberman,the german shepherd, rhodesian ridgeback the rottweiler , the akita , and the tosa , now the list has been changed the bulldog has been taken off as they found that you couldent put a muzzle on a bulldog , one wit walked round dublin with the muzzle tied to its backside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Getz, there are no banned dogs in Ireland. You can own any dog in Ireland. There are additional rules that are imposed on if you own one of the following breeds, strains or crossbreeds under the control of dogs regulations, here is the list... I don't think the bulldog was ever on the list.

American Pit Bull Terrier
    English Bull Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bull Mastiff
    Dobermann Pinscher
    German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Japanese Akita
    Japanese Tosa
    Bandog
    The rules state that:

These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
    These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

Weirdly, the list contains dogs that are very unlikely to bite.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    Weirdly, the list contains dogs that are very unlikely to bite.

Agreed, surely there's been more attacks by terrier types. I've seen so many aggresive small dogs and have known people to be bitten by the smaller cuter breeds. Where I've never seen a rottweiler, staffy, APBT, Doberman etc. that's shown any aggression.
    Seems like DCC made a rash decision to put the dogs that the media has portraid as aggressive dogs. Doesn't seem like a lot of research was put into this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

bull dogs should be banned, not cos they're dangerous because they are a embaressment to what a healthy fit dog should be, freaks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

LovelyTom wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like a lot of research was put into this project.

Yeah, looks like the research was done by an English tabloid to be honest.

sorry all by saying banned . i did mean banned from walking in the street without a muzzle a statement from the department of the environment . at custom house dublin 1. says the following types of dogs are regarded as potential dangerous under irish law it gives all that you say , plus the bandog ? and the bulldog .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

whitser wrote: »
    bull dogs should be banned, not cos they're dangerous because they are a embaressment to what a healthy fit dog should be, freaks

and thats the dogs fault? :confused:

I do agree though that a lot of these dogs are bred to look a certain way to the extreme and it is definetly wrong.

whitser wrote: »
    whitser how do you know? have you ever met a real english bulldog every dog breed has changed over the years or they would all look like wolves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

first of all,the bulldogs of today are nothing like the original. they are in bred freaks of nature.that cant even hardly mate,whelp or walk properly.they look nothing like their fore fathers, and in fact i'd say breeders of old would be turning in their graves if they saw what we have done to the bull dog.
    second of all,i was just trying to wind someone up. it worked.

Whitser, not just the English Bulldog...

GSD, Rough Collie, lots and lots of toy breeds etc have changed so much they are hardly recognisable anymore.

Direct quote from the ISPCA legal handbook:
    Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulation, S.I. No. 123 of 1991 requires that in order to keep the following types of dogs

Bandogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, Bulldogs, Bull Mastiffs, Doberman Pinschers, English Bull Terriers, German Shepherd (Alsatians), Japanese Akitas, Japanese Tosas, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweilers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers including any other strain or cross or every breed or type of dog so described - as specified in Regulation 4,

• Advertisement

Well there was a small turn out, not sure if anyone here showed up.

I could only make it for a few minutes as I was working, but overall the small turn out presented their case well I felt.

Advertisement