Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC: Their at it again!. Gurrrr

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

GA361 wrote: »
    I completely agree with you on that point,but you must agree that an apartment,although a sound place to own a dog,like a king charles for example,is no place to breed a dog?

I can't agree as I've never breed a dog :P

Seriously, I don't know as I'm not a breeder and don't intend breeding my two guys. But from a purely laymans point of view I'd agree that (to me) it wouldn't be ideal.

But this is getting away from the discussion.

DCC, The Labour party and The Greens are using DCC tenants as a testing ground for their new legislation and if this proves successful both those political parties have said they'd like to see it nationa wide.

So while it doesn't directly effect me, or most of the other dog owner's here it could in the future and thats why everyone should stand united in their opposition to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I suppose if we have learned one thing from the past about ligislature.It is that Every bill has its strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

In all honesty, after having lived in Ireland for over 11 years and doing rescue for most of this time, I think what we really need is restrictions on breeding, regardless on where the breeder lives. We also need to abolish Puppy Farms by any means necessary. Ireland has the hightest dog rate per household in the EU, it also has the highest PTS rate per capita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

GA361 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

You can spin this anyway you like with your left-wing,holier then thou-''i'm being discriminated against:(''-propoganda.I NEVER said that this rule should only be enforced on people in council flats. . . if you read my post properly you would have realised that I said all flats-''corporate and private'' should have to abide by this rule.If you see a flat as a reasonable place to breed a dog. . . . then I pity your poor judgement,and this legislation should be imposed on you. . . and you just so happen to live in a council flat.

What I am more surprised by is your ignorance of animal and human safety:eek:-just because you feel you are a responsible owner,you think that justifies 5 or 10 or 20 scumbags irresponsibly breeding dogs.

You are new to boards so don't get all preachy,ok;).

just to let you know first of all i dont breed dogs and in case you didn't notice it is only 10 breeds of dog this ban is being praposed on i call this (BSL) i didn't misunderstand your post at all I think you misunderstood mine, what i was doing was just explaining from a DDC tenant point of view and how i feel im been treated with this decision from DCC, I never insulted you in my post in anyway,

What I am more surprised by is your ignorance of animal and human safety:eek:-just because you feel you are a responsible owner, you think that justifies 5 or 10 or 20 scumbags irresponsibly breeding dogs.

I can only be responsible for my dogs and i don't see why i am been painted with the same brush as the 5 or 10 or 20 scumbags irresponsibly breeding dogs that your talking about ?? Now you talk about animal and human safety did it ever spring to your mind that it would be more productive in the prevention of attacks that dogs are blamed instead of irresponsible owners if DCC did their job instead of persecuting the innocent people and carton breeds of dog. This proposed ban is not about breeding dogs as we all know that is an issue that needs to be addressed again down to individual people and lack of education
    hope you don’t think im getting "preachy" yes I am new to this board I don’t see what that has to do with it im just having my say like you nothing more nothing less;)

EGAR wrote: »
    In all honesty, after having lived in Ireland for over 11 years and doing rescue for most of this time, I think what we really need is restrictions on breeding, regardless on where the breeder lives. We also need to abolish Puppy Farms by any means necessary. Ireland has the hightest dog rate per household in the EU, it also has the highest PTS rate per capita.

agree 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Mairt wrote: »
    How is that the other side of the coin, all that points to is an example of a bad owner and not a dangerous dog (or two).

I dont think its the dogs they are targeting, but there must be some amount of complaints from other tenants if they are gettin off thier asses to do something about it. Dont get me wrong, Ive only just put up a post about what an avid dog lover I am but the fact remains that there are some owners seriously lacking in consideration to either thier dogs or neighbours. I moved into a relatively new estate in 06, and in the last six months I have fallen out with 3 dog owning neighbours. The first was because I had to personally intervene when a pup of about 8 mths was hanging onto a 4 yr olds arm on the road. The dog should not have been out without proper training! the second involved me calling to a neighbours (not the same one) at half five in the morning cause I'd had enough of his dog waking me up at that hour barking at the ****ing crows. And then we hve the neighbours who buy the puppy at xmas, only to leave it ****ed out the back all day every day without even a kennel to take shelter in, I **** you not. As a result, the poor thing spends its day making itself hoarse barking....Id safely say the ***** couldnt give it away now, it ruined and wicked from just bein left to its own devices. It boils my piss, they have the dog since xmas 2006, its still not house trained and Ive seen it walked all of three times. I've rang dspca etcetc, but honestly I just wanna box the head off them ......GGGGGRRRRRRRR ramble rant ramble rant :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    I dont think its the dogs they are targeting

I hate using this emoticon, but here goes.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Whats the point in bringing in more restrictions? The current laws and restrictions arent obeyed by everyone now.

Its the responsible owners that will end up obeying them, and the irresponsible ones just keep ignoring it.

Beth wrote: »
    Whats the point in bringing in more restrictions? The current laws and restrictions arent obeyed by everyone now.

Its the responsible owners that will end up obeying them, and the irresponsible ones just keep ignoring it.
    that is exactly my point it will only be responsible owners and their well behaved pets that will suffer it wont solve or protect children from being attacked this is the reason for this ban we all want the same thing nobody wants to see any kid being bitten by a dog but DCC need to pull their heads out of where ever they have it and deal with these irresponsible people who are causing these problems and work with the people instead of against them..

I hate using this emoticon, but here goes.. :rolleyes:[/quote

Well I think that response speaks for itself......good argument for responsible mature pet owners.. I wasn't having a go at you personally, just pointing out the obvious about irresponsible ones and highlighting the fact that the big bad DCC wouldnt get involved unless they absolutely have to. I quite like using this emoticon :rolleyes: and this one too:):):)

• Advertisement

That is a good point, Im at a loss as to how to counteract that though, anyone any suggestions??

Have every dog owner and dog go through the CGC test, (i.e. have to be trained and well behaved out in public)

Have the license system similar to the car license system. Points and fines etc.

The money spent on bringing in more laws and restrictions can easily be used to build a database, hire more wardens. the technology is there from the car license system and TV license system, why not use it for the dog licenses as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

wow, what an ignorant statement.
    kerrysgold wrote: »
    the goverment/council are so stupid that they don't realise good owner = friendly dog bad owner = unstable dog (possibly, or just neglected and miserable!) it's nothing to do with the dogs breed, any dog that does have "issues" it's usually the fault of the owner.

Have the license system similar to the car license system. Points and fines etc.

But what about enforcing the existing licencing laws?.

Once again I was visited by the dog warden (yesterday). I've a nosey neighbour who can't keep her nose out of my business and has reportedly reported me to both the police and the warden as although my dogs are never out alone and off the lead she's afraid of "pitbulls" (her words to me) and she's afraid mine will escape and reek havoc on the road.

This time I was reported to both the guards and the warden, both showed up almost at the same time (guards first).

The guard explained to me that a neighbour had complained that I had two pitbulls loose. Infact I've one and a 12 week old Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

They were indeed loose, in my garden with me while I was gardening. The warden explained to the police that he knew me, I was a responsble owner and that there's issue's with a neighbour.

I showed both my licence for the older dog and explained that I was waiting until all the puppy's vac's were finished before licencing her (she actually got her very last job yesterday).

At the time there were four other loose dogs on my road, a lab and three mutts whose owner's have NEVER been approached re. dogs roaming loose or for a licence check.

The policeman was hilarious, he explained to me (spoke to me like I was an idiot) how Pitbulls and Staffs would eat those dogs on the road if they got loose and that I didn't appricate the damage my dogs would do!.

When the police went I'd a good chat with the wardens, who like I said know me by know.

I'm sick to death of this now, owning a bull breed is fantastic. Absolutely beautiful dogs with lovely temperments but people's perception of the breed, gained from bad media coverage and idiots like Joe Costelloe (Labour party) is getting me down.

I'm genuinely worried now that my neighour will make up a story now (ie say my dogs attacked or got aggressive with a child) or that a child will be bitten by another dog and the finger gets pointed at me and my dogs will be taken and killed.

Anyway, my point being. I'm living with my dogs completely within the law and I'm the only one on my road who's been visited a number of times now by the dog warden, all the while the other loose dogs on my road and in the estate are ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

I'm sick to death of this now, owning a bull breed is fantastic. Absolutely beautiful dogs with lovely temperments but people's perception of the breed, gained from bad media coverage and idiots like Joe Costelloe (Labour party) is getting me down.

TOTALLY agree and I'm in the same position although I don't have a bull breed, my dog is a GSD (love the bullies too though! FAB dogs full of their fun!) Anyway SICK & TIRED of ignorant people picking up their children or their dogs when they see me coming with a look of abject horror on their faces depsite the fact that my dog is better trained than theirs and is quite simply not in ANY way aggressive.

She gets a **** time and a **** attitude from people PURELY because of her breed and it IS NOT FAIR.

I was in Maxi Zoo in Limerick on Saturday with my dog who was entertaining and playing with a few kids in there when this family came in looking at rabbit hutches etc and honest to God you would want to see the look the wife flashed at me even though my girl was on a lead. Simply people see Pitbull/GSD/Staffie and they think "****, wonder if she's already had her first child for breakfast or if she is eyeing mine?". I'm WITHERED from it. And now many of these dogs have NO chance as most rescues won't take them because of the cost it takes to insure them.

We are an ignorant country full of many ignorant people when it comes to dogs and animals in general. It shames me to say it but it is true.

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    And now many of these dogs have NO chance as most rescues won't take them because of the cost it takes to insure them.

It gets bigger than that.

I've a friend who show's his Staff's, he's got (at the moment) five beauties but recently when he was planning his holidays he rang around some shelters enquirying about prices etc.

Without exception all the shelters tried said that they won't take Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English Bull Terriers or Pitbulls as other people using the shelters were afraid of leaving their dogs in shelters alongside these breeds!.

Have every dog owner and dog go through the CGC test, (i.e. have to be trained and well behaved out in public)

The money spent on bringing in more laws and restrictions can easily be used to build a database, hire more wardens. the technology is there from the car license system and TV license system, why not use it for the dog licenses as well.

all you say above is great but again the irresponsible owners wont be doing it so responsible owners will be the only one's that will abide, we already have enough legislation in this country to deal with this the problem is it is never enforced and when it is its the wrong people who they enforce it on and mainly because you happen to own a certainbreed of dog.

mairt im am just so lucky i have great neighbours they all love my dogs it must be so upsetting for you to have the neighbours from hell i wonder if you had a small dog not on the list running out barking attacking other dogs and so on would people find it cute? but just because you happen to own a certain breed of dog sometimes we are made feel like a bloody criminal:mad:

a few friends and i was at the dogs aid show on Sunday we brought some wonderful beautiful pittys with us as we were the only one's there with this breed we got a lot of attention from people

oh what a beautiful dog what breed is it? it is a pit bull terrier oh their gorgeous at this time they were already playing with the other dogs and people stood in amazement everybody wanted photos, i talked to a lot of people about bull breeds and how they make excellent family pet's that they were no different to any other dog the problem was our breed (HUMANS)

we had just come to the end of a wonderful day sun shining everybody having fun and the last comp was on it was to throw 3 balls and the dog had to get them and bring them back, it was teddys turn as he entered the ring a lady that stood beside the ring said to the judge, i hope you don’t let that dog win them dogs shouldn't even be here, well my heart just sunk not once did any dog we had step out of line even when another dog growled snared or leaped at them they were so well behaved i just thought to myself this lady is here with her own dogs raising money for an animal charity and to say such a thing about a dog was just beyond me i never said anything to her or to the people who brought their dogs i wasn't going to mess up such a lovely day because of one ignorant woman.

My point is if I had of had words with that lady I would have been the baddy, these people love gossip and obviously have nothing better to do with their time if I was you I would just ignore them I know its hard but its like not feeding the rat it will go away in time if you know what I mean;)

Lilly I get that all the time too, mostly from lads in work.

They think I've my guys because I'm small man syndrome or something. And like you, I keep my peace.

Its like I'm beaten into submission now and its easier to let the comments slide.

Lilly I get that all the time too, mostly from lads in work.

They think I've my guys because I'm small man syndrome or something. And like you, I keep my peace.

Its like I'm beaten into submission now and its easier to let the comments slide.

lol the main thing is we know how amazing our dogs are truth is people dont know what their missing out on with the bully breeds so much fun just like little clowns thats why the lies does get to us when people dont see them for the amazing breed they are, as the old saying goes

if you want to know me come and live with me ;)

But what about enforcing the existing licencing laws?.
    Oh, I mean while enforcing the current laws, use the licensing and database thing. There's no point in bringing in new ones when they couldnt be bothered enforcing the ones that are there!!
    They were indeed loose, in my garden with me while I was gardening. The warden explained to the police that he knew me, I was a responsble owner and that there's issue's with a neighbour.
    God that woman sounds a right pain in the bum. If she's so scared, why doesnt she eductate herself about them :rolleyes: I'd guess the dog warden is as fed up as you are about it though. You've every right to have your dogs in your garden :mad: At least the dog warden took the time to explain to the cop.
    At the time there were four other loose dogs on my road, a lab and three mutts whose owner's have NEVER been approached re. dogs roaming loose or for a licence check.
    See thats just it!!! The majority of restricted breed owners obey the law to the letter but anyone else gets away with it. Thats pure descrimination. And i've seen it myself. People walking past me warning me about a "pitbull" down the road thats vicious and to cross the road because he gets out from behind the gate... only for it to be a jack russel that was over weight and able to get out. Or a boxer :rolleyes: Seems anything on 4 legs must be a pitbull these days, and anything that is offlead is the same. Any time i've seen a restricted breed outside they've been under control and walked by a competent person. Other breeds.. well there are some responsible owners of other breeds, but there's a heck of a lot out there that arent. A lot of them have the attitude of "ah sure, they're only small, they wont hurt you!" or "I know my dog and he wouldnt do anything like that" - don't they think we know our dogs and can fling that answer back too. All dogs have the ability to be agressive or dangerous - even the little Andrex puppy that grows into a powerful dog but most don't want to face that.
    ~Thalia~ wrote: »
    We are an ignorant country full of many ignorant people when it comes to dogs and animals in general. It shames me to say it but it is true.
    How right you are though.
    Lilly/DNB wrote:
    all you say above is great but again the irresponsible owners wont be doing it so responsible owners will be the only one's that will abide, we already have enough legislation in this country to deal with this the problem is it is never enforced and when it is its the wrong people who they enforce it on and mainly because you happen to own a certainbreed of dog.
    Yep, i know its the responsible owners that will follow it. but they're having to follow it now. I'm not on about bringing in new legislation for it - just making sure its all recorded in a central database just like the TV or Car ones and making others abide by it. People are quick to report a "pit bull" when its not even close to one, yet wont report any breed of dog that they recognise even if its loose and roaming. IF they're happy to squeal on one, they should be doing the same for the others but we all know they wont :rolleyes:

If the government and local authorities want to waste money there's a myriad of ways to do it - and ad campaign similar to the TV license one but on DOGS. They wasted a heck of a lot of money printing and delivering the Lisbon treaty stuff to every household in Ireland, and those bliddy iodine tablets years ago... do the same with the dog laws, and send out literature. I can spent their money with my idea's no bother :D

• Advertisement

just got a call from a lady (Dublin city radio station 103.2)
    their having a topic about this tomorrow morning between 10.45 and 11.00 and asked would i be involved of course i said yes
    im not sure if there is a comment line but tune in..

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!
    thanks beth:o

Lilly/DNB wrote: »
    just got a call from a lady (Dublin city radio station 103.2)
    their having a topic about this tomorrow morning between 10.45 and 11.00 and asked would i be involved of course i said yes
    im not sure if there is a comment line but tune in..

Super, I've heard you speak on the subject before - your brilliant at it ;)

if you want to know me come and live with me

Woo Hoo, but I must warn you - I snore & I've been known to pick at my belly button :D

Super, I've heard you speak on the subject before - your brilliant at it ;)

Woo Hoo, but I must warn you - I snore & I've been known to pick at my belly button :D
    your gas i was talking about the breed you nutter im sure you knew that :p

your gas i was talking about the breed you nutter im sure you knew that :p

Talking about gas, I've a little problem with that too :o

I just found a photo of a very dangerous looking Staffy on Petsireland!..

attachment.php?attachmentid=62904&stc=1&d=1220984843

:D

Advertisement