Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like McCain has picked his VP...

Options
  • 29-08-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Not official yet, but news outlets are reporting Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is to be his vice presidential running mate.

LET THE BASHING BEGIN!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7588435.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Governer of alsaska, former beauty pagent title holder, NRA life membership,
    party whistle blower, Pro Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Now that is smart, very smart indeed. Aside from the 27% of Clintonites who claimed they might go for him, now they have a woman, even if she is pro-life. It looks like he intends to go after the centre and let the GOP conservatives either put up or shut up. He may mollify them to an extent given that she is Pro-life but his choice suggests that this is indeed a "time of change". Nice balance of youth and experience. Plus the timing may well knock the expected Obama bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Are women that stupid that they'd be swayed by such a blatant move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Even Perez Hilton is excited, its official - McCain's VP pick was a LOT better, voter-wise than Obamas

Is there an actual point to this rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nice balance of youth and experience.

Makes it tricky for him to play the inexperience card against Obama. If he becomes the oldest first-term POTUS, then he has another neophyte just one 'heart episode' away from the Oval Office. And she has even less experience than Obama.

Who would have thought that Obama would not be the least experienced in the contest !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well the bitter Clinton supporters, Yes.

Shes kinda a hottie. Could appeal to white collar bored office workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

well considering the vice president pick needs to be a person that can take over the running of the country if anything were to happen to the president, i believe its a terrible choice, but for vote grabbing ya sure why not.
    This is nothing to do with "change", its a move to get elected. And he is taking a huge risk moving away from his base in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Its really exiting the way these stories are being updated as we speak!!! TBH, I dont think the fact she may have to be president some day factors in much - unless the Obama camp make something of it. Which, considering McCains age, they may do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

never heard of her

I assume Biden would shred her in any VP debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

turgon wrote: »
    Could appeal to white colour bored office workers.

Does that make manual workers blue colour ;) ? Like Smurfs ;) ?

Ignore her gender and look at the crediblity she bring aside from that.
    Sarah Heath Palin (born February 11, 1964) is the current Governor of Alaska, and the Republican vice presidential candidate for the November 2008 election.[1]

Brought to statewide attention because of her whistleblowing on ethical violations by state Republican Party leaders,[2] she won election in 2006 by first defeating the incumbent governor in the Republican primary, then a former Democratic Alaskan governor in the general election.

Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council from 1992 to 1996. In 1996, she challenged the incumbent mayor, criticizing wasteful spending and high taxes.[4] The ex-mayor and sheriff tried to organize a recall campaign, but failed.[4] Palin kept her campaign promises, reducing her own salary, as well as reducing property taxes 60%.[4] She ran for reelection against the former mayor in 1999, winning by an even larger margin.[4][13] Palin was also elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.[7]

In 2002, Palin made an unsuccessful bid for Lieutenant Governor, coming in second to Loren Leman in a four-way race. After Frank Murkowski resigned from his long-held U.S. Senate seat in mid-term to become governor, Palin interviewed to be his possible successor. Instead, Murkowski appointed his daughter, then-Alaska State Representative Lisa Murkowski.[4]

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission,[14] where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest.[4] After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail.[15] Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.[4]

In the first days of her administration, Palin followed through on a campaign promise to sell the Westwind II jet purchased (on a state government credit account) by the Murkowski administration. The state placed the jet for sale on eBay three times. In August 2007, the jet was sold for $2.7 million.[40]

I think this is pure politics at work. She ticks a good number of boxes on the GOP side , plus her gender and perceived public morals are not repugnant. As regards experience , she has the edge on Obama in that she has been a governor. Even so the "lack of experience" line in my view is a dead duck at this point. McCain scores better in that the experience is at the top of the ticket.

The pressure is well and truly on Obama to convince the types of voters who are still very wary of him. If he can't get enough blue-collar workers and convince enough Clintonites not to defect then he will lose.

TarfHead wrote: »
    Makes it tricky for him to play the inexperience card against Obama. If he becomes the oldest first-term POTUS, then he has another neophyte just one 'heart episode' away from the Oval Office. And she has even less experience than Obama.

Who would have thought that Obama would not be the least experienced in the contest !

How much experience did Bush Jr have when he first ran ?

Is there an actual point to this rant?

Yes, that this is a clear attempt to steal some of the women who were all riled up for hillary. If it worked it would indicate that they chose him because his vice president is a woman. Maybe stupidy is a strong word and I take it back but it'd definately be frivolous.

TarfHead wrote: »

Americans don't vote because of the VP on the ticket. Dan Quayle is one who springs to mind here and Spiro Agnew was no great shakes either.

They are usually added to deliver up a specific geographic and also because they are not necessarily deemed a risk to either the President or the Oval Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Curious choice it has to be said as there was much recent speculation around a woman running mate it certainly was not for Palin (Bailey- Hutchinson was spoken of).

The fact she has been a Governor gives her the executive experience that Obama or Biden dont have and therefore she is a credible VP. However given the likelyhood that an elected McCain may well not make the full four years (check out his medical history and you will know what I mean) is America going to vote for this ticket? Will it make any difference at all to the key swing states? Depends on how the media play this out. While Obama has not gone for any great excitement with his choice there is substantial (albeit legislative) experience there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Thaedydal wrote: »
    How much experience did Bush Jr have when he first ran ?

Governor of Texas for at least one term.

• Advertisement

Yes, that this is a clear attempt to steal some of the women who were all riled up for hillary. If it worked it would indicate that they chose him because his vice president is a woman. Maybe stupidy is a strong word and I take it back but it'd definately be frivolous.

27% have already indicated this anyway, even before the announcement. It's always been a problem to get the beaten candidate's supporters to vote for the victor.

Off topic
    We voted for Cowan's "they have no experience and therefore can't be trusted to run the country" line. ;)

27% have already indicated this anyway, even before the announcement. It's always been a problem to get the beaten candidate's supporters to vote for the victor.

Yea I understand. I don't think it makes their choice to vote for him based on the fact that he has a woman vice president any less frivolous, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

She was "Miss Congeniality" and a Tv Sports reporter for a local Anchorage T.V. station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

never heard of her

I assume Biden would shred her in any VP debate

Wow...

Lot of rumors flying about now, when should we expect official word?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

On the face of it, this appears to be a very shrewd move by the McCain campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I choked on my breakfast when I heard this. Obama just lost the campaign. How did they not see this happening? McCain just secured 25% of the democratic vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Well, I'm impressed:
    • championship high school athlete
    • 1984 runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant (won Miss Congeniality.)
    • holds a lifetime membership with the National Rifle Association.
    • Palin kept her campaign promises, reducing her own salary, as well as reducing property taxes by 60%.
    • She ran for reelection against the former mayor in 1999, winning by an even larger margin.
    • Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest.
    • After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail.
    • Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.
    • Highlights of Governor Palin's tenure include a successful push for an ethics bill, and also shelving pork-barrel projects supported by fellow Republicans. Palin successfully killed the Bridge to Nowhere project that had become a nationwide symbol of wasteful earmark spending.
    • In 2007, Palin had an approval rating often in the 90s.
    • A poll published by Hays Research on July 28, 2008 showed Palin's approval rating at 80%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

reading a few articles online, they seem to mention some recent scandal hanging over Ms Palins head?

Advertisement