Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like McCain has picked his VP...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Brian, I don't think this was McCain's pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

why didn't they pick Condi rice? WAAAAAAAAY more experience, and more senior, than Palin.
    because then the democrats could argue more of the same. Why didnt they pick lieberman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Sand wrote: »
    Sorry, I can understand you wanting to avoid recognising Obama cant match Palins executive experience but your bringing the qualification for President down to university degrees? Ignoring the reality Palins run a state and Obama...has...not? Yeah, thatll do a lot to combat that image of Obama as an elitist.

Seriously, she ran Alaska, it has a population of less than a million, it's barely a state. Let's keep things in perspective a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And Obamas run a campaign team of what, 2500 people? Yes - lets keep things in perspective.

axer wrote: »
    because then the democrats could argue more of the same. Why didnt they pick lieberman?
    Or Ridge? Or Romney? Because they're not social conservative rednecks I reckon. Romney is a Mormon technocrat and they've said they wouldn't give Ridge a go because he is "Pro-choice"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Reformer? In what sense? How does she have the same vision as McCain, she's much more conservative than him for a start. Just because she's a governor it makes her a good pick? If she isn't a token gesture, why didn't they pick Condi rice? WAAAAAAAAY more experience, and more senior, than Palin.

She took on not only a sitting governor from her own party but also Alaska's Republican establishment -- vowing to clean up a political system that had been rocked by an Federal Bureau of Investigation corruption probe. She sacked political appointees with close ties to industry lobbyists, shelved pork projects, gone after Big Oil (whose money has long dominated the state), she forced Alaska's dominant oil producers, ConocoPhillips and BP PLC, to finally get serious about a natural-gas pipeline - without making any tax or royalty concessions.

And while we’re at it, all this talk about "better" VP candidates than Palin… explain choosing Joe Biden over Hillary Clinton… wouldn’t that have been a slam dunk ticket?

And Obamas run a campaign team of what, 2500 people? Yes - lets keep things in perspective.

So a president has to have executive experience to be qualified? How many presidents (or even presidential candidates) have moved into the position from governor? I don't think it's a necessary step, but if you're going to argue that it is then Alaska is hardly impressive. And I never said Obama was experienced enough to be president, so that was a pointless retort.

Itll be McCain.
    and if he dies or becomes very ill (which is a real possibility)?

She ran a state that is swimming in money and that was sparsely populated for only 2 years. Not really that hard to do.

Were people really supposed to ignore that Palin's daughter showed how unrealistic Palin's abstinence stance really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lirange wrote: »
    Brian, I don't think this was McCain's pick.

So? I didn't say it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Have to say some of the defensive talk for Palin is quite funny. Tends to revolve around calling Obama something rather then disputing. Defending to the point of hypocritsy.

A good example I've been reading around is on her Church (posted the link earlier). If you watch it, her church believes that Alaska will be the only State saved when the rapture comes and will have to help all the refugees from the rest of America. What is Republicans response? "Yea well Obama did ....".

Which is confusing because either they are saying that it is acceptable because Obama does it or that Palin is like Obama. Enough to make peoples heads explode.

• Advertisement

And yet we continue to compare and debate the rep VP choice against the dem Presidential choice. Talk about making ones head explode! Poor old Joe Biden… relegated to chopped liver once again.

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    And yet we continue to compare and debate the rep VP choice against the dem Presidential choice. Talk about making ones head explode! Poor old Joe Biden… relegated to chopped liver once again.

Lol, I think the logic behind that is everyone's sure McCain is going to keel over!

Or Ridge? Or Romney? Because they're not social conservative rednecks I reckon. Romney is a Mormon technocrat and they've said they wouldn't give Ridge a go because he is "Pro-choice"

I would have really liked it if Ridge had been selected. He's more middle of the road, especially with abortion rights. That would have been a much more intelligent decision, imo, and would have given me reason to pause before voting for Obama.

axer wrote: »
    She ran a state that is swimming in money and that was sparsely populated for only 2 years. Not really that hard to do.

She also was mayor of a town that had 0 debt when she started and 22 million debt and taxes raised when she left.

Poor old Joe Biden… relegated to chopped liver once again.

I'm confused, your saying that Palin is as bad a Biden? I thought it was Obama she was as bad as?

Intresting article pointing out that Palin isn't as experienced as she is made out to be.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_mccain_fact_check

Also appears she may of screwed up the Jewish vote for McCain as well.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13098.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

In the end it should come down to the issues. Do the US people want a liberal or a conservative in the white house? The US is a very divided country, a lot of places down south are polar opposite to where I live (CT). The question is which candidate can energize their voters the most. Can Obama rally more Dems to vote for him or will McCain get the conservatives out to vote?

So? I didn't say it was.

oy. I meant P. Joe. :o

oy. I meant P. Joe. :o

What? :confused: (now what have I gotten myself into)

Hobbes wrote: »
    I'm confused, your saying that Palin is as bad a Biden? I thought it was Obama she was as bad as?

You sure are! How do you come up with this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You sure are! How do you come up with this stuff?

He tried to follow your illogical "argument" to a logical conclusion. It didn't end well.

• Advertisement

He tried to follow your illogical "argument" to a logical conclusion. It didn't end well.
    Take me through the steps… I’m curious.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Joe, do me a favour: if you must compose your posts in Word (why do you do that?), can you at least copy and paste them into Notepad, then copy them from there before pasting in here?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Joe, do me a favour: if you must compose your posts in Word (why do you do that?), can you at least copy and paste them into Notepad, then copy them from there before pasting in here?

Sure, sorry... didn't realize it was a problem. Everything visual looks fine from my end... someday I've got to get off Windows 98 (have some problems with this site also on my system... sometimes slow as heck, even typing directly to the site at times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Up until a year and a half ago the highest ranking political position she had held was mayor Wasilla, Alaska. Population less than 8,000, city employees less than 80. Need I say more?

Comments caught on NBC hot mic!

From a Republican consultant and a journalist from a conservative newspaper no less. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who the hell is McCain's campaign manager? Has he been sacked?

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    Up until a year and a half ago the highest ranking political position she had held was mayor Wasilla, Alaska. Population less than 8,000, city employees less than 80. Need I say more?

One last shot (you all have worn me out). How about a governor who oversees 24,000 state employees, 14 statewide Cabinet agencies, and a $10 billion budget.

Now I will wait for the speeches. Continue with the (as the detestable Michael Moore has now referred to the vicious attacks leveled against Palin) "swimming in the sewer" if you must.

Comments caught on NBC hot mic!

From a Republican consultant and a journalist from a conservative newspaper no less. :pac:

transcript wrote:
    Chuck Todd: Mike Murphy, lots of free advice, we'll see if Steve Schmidt and the boys were watching. We'll find out on your blackberry. Tonight voters will get their chance to hear from Sarah Palin and she will get the chance to show voters she's the right woman for the job Up next, one man who's already convinced and he'll us why Gov. Jon Huntsman. (cut away)
    Peggy Noonan: Yeah.
    Mike Murphy: You know, because I come out of the blue swing state governor world: Engler, Whitman, Tommy Thompson, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush. I mean, these guys -- this is how you win a Texas race, just run it up. And it's not gonna work. And --
    PN: It's over.
    MM: Still McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech to do himself some good.
    CT: I also think the Palin pick is insulting to Kay Bailey Hutchinson, too.
    PN: Saw Kay this morning.
    CT: Yeah, she's never looked comfortable about this --
    MM: They're all bummed out.
    CT: Yeah, I mean is she really the most qualified woman they could have turned to?
    PN: The most qualified? No! I think they went for this -- excuse me-- political bull**** about narratives --
    CT: Yeah they went to a narrative.
    MM: I totally agree.
    PN: Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it.
    MM: You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical.
    CT: This is cynical, and as you called it, gimmicky.
    MM: Yeah.
    This came after an article published earlier that morning in the Wall Street Journal in which she called Palin a "a real and present danger to the American left, and to the Obama candidacy."

Shows what many republicans really think but are afraid to say in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I'm no expert, but couldn't he have taken the centre ground more with Liebermen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Sure, sorry... didn't realize it was a problem. Everything visual looks fine from my end... someday I've got to get off Windows 98 (have some problems with this site also on my system... sometimes slow as heck, even typing directly to the site at times).

Joe, I also had this problem with font information coming up in my posts, and I can see others have the same. I went into the help desk was told to use the button on the top right (with the 2 As) of the posting box (that’s the advanced box, the one that gives all the options). It works when I press this button first, wait a second and then paste into the box. Try this and let me know if it works.

Advertisement