Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like McCain has picked his VP...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    So... what are your early predictions of the ABC News interview with Sarah Palin, the Republican Vice Presidential choice? According to Charlie Gibson, no issues are off the table.

If they are in any way challenging to her, she has a tough job.

She's on the record as using outright lies, I wonder what she will say when confronted with this. Its very curious she keeps repeating the claims on the governors jet on ebay and her "opposition" to the bridge to nowhere, when the facts are so patently the opposite of what she is saying.

There is no doubt, she is very appealing to the right, who will be cheering her on. However its McCain who needs to win the election and he needs to do it by winning over moderates and the undecided. I can't see either group being swayed by her as VP.

I think she has reached her high point (energizing the Republican base) & its own downhill from here for her. There seems to be a pattern of paranoia and lies underneath the Miss Congeniality front, that could catch her out. I also think her views will be too extreme, from the end times & Gods war to no abortion ever, for many Americans.

Democrats need to sharpen up their act in how they are dealing with her though, so far they are falling into the trap of making Obama look like a "washingon elitist" as Kerry was labeled in '04, an irony considering his opponent has been in washington politics since the early 70's and is so rich he doesn't know how many houses he owns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

She will come across as a hockey mom, cute, playful, likeable able to talk the soundbites but woefully not clued into the real world and unfit to be no2 or no1. Maybe they should be a reality TV show. The winner gets to be VP and donald trump can tell the rest, "Your Fired!"

Would you like Mary Coughlan be the VP of the US?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Can you point to any links that might back up this claim ? Given her views on abortion, its highly unlikely very many moderate Hillary voters would support her.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd also like to see some support for that claim, now that it's been made at least twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

BenjAii wrote: »
    She's on the record as using outright lies, I wonder what she will say when confronted with this. Its very curious she keeps repeating the claims on the governors jet on ebay and her "opposition" to the bridge to nowhere, when the facts are so patently the opposite of what she is saying.

Well I don't know all the facts about the bridge, but why all the fuss about the Jet? She stated in her GOP speech:
    While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor's office that I didn't believe our citizens should have to pay for. That luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay.

She didn't say in her speech that she 'sold it' on ebay. She did put it on ebay:
    Palin followed through on a campaign promise to sell the Westwind II jet purchased by the Murkowski administration for $2.7 million in 2005 on a state government credit account against the wishes of the Legislature. In August 2007, the jet was listed on eBay, but the sale fell through and the plane was later sold for $2.1 million through a private brokerage firm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

So it sold for less that it cost originally. So what? Isn’t that the way with all second-hand vehicles, or was it brand new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'd also like to see some support for that claim, now that it's been made at least twice.

Granted it's very early on, but it seems the movement has started...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090903045_pf.html

The Raven. wrote: »
    She didn't say in her speech that she 'sold it' on ebay. She did put it on ebay:
    McCain said that she sold it on Ebay AND made a profit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XYhsjHRJE

That is downright lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Poll

Scroll down to where it breaks it up between white men and white women.

Detailed Information about the Poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Granted it's very early on, but it seems the movement has started...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090903045_pf.html

I'm sorry, I forgot my reading glasses! Can you tell me where in that article does it mention Hillary supporters swapping sides to Palin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

"The crowd that came to see her here Tuesday showed that Palin's support is rooted in conservative women such as Baron, with the addition of some independents and even Democrats -- women who are "fed up with a man's world," as one rally attendee said, and in some cases dispirited by the treatment of Palin and of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in the Democratic primary race."

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

So it sold for less that it cost originally. So what? Isn’t that the way with all second-hand vehicles, or was it brand new?
    McCain claims profit, and that's a lie, but that's beside the point.
    Alaska spent $600K for two years of service.

Also, the governor of Alaska should have a plane...maybe not a big jet, but a plane is needed. Alaska has a huge land area, and most of the towns do not even have roads leading in/out of them. It is normal in Alaska to have at least a small (2- or 4-seater) plane for your family and almost everyone has a boat in the harbour.
    Juneau is the capital of Alaska. Take a look at this map of Juneau. Notice the main road (Glacier Highway) ends not too far from the city limits. From one end to the other, it's about 13 miles. The only other way out of Juneau is to take a ferry or...an airplane.
    Sure, it's expensive to own a jet...but the state is going to spend it one way or another. This way, at least the state's highest ranking officer can get around without an airline company operating the same service and making a profit off tax dollars.

axer wrote: »
    McCain said that she sold it on Ebay AND made a profit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XYhsjHRJE

That is downright lies.

Thanks for that, axer. I do remember him saying that now, but she certainly didn't. He obviously got the story wrong. As regards 'profit', I suppose that all depends on what the jet was worth at the time of sale. However, I do think it was a good idea to sell it.

Thanks for that, axer. I do remember him saying that now, but she certainly didn't. He obviously got the story wrong. As regards 'profit', I suppose that all depends on what the jet was worth at the time of sale. However, I do think it was a good idea to sell it.
    They sold it for $600k lower than what it was worth - not $600k lower than the purchase price. They sold it for $2.1m when it was valued at $2.7m

Politically she had no choice but to sell it since it was a very unpopular item and it was not of much use since it could not land in many of the airfields in Alaska.

zod posted this on another thread but I think it is more relevant here.

3 out of 4 of Palin's best friends won't even confirm they are voting for her.

Lol

It goes to show the people that "know her best" are not even convinced that is right for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Matt Damon shares his thoughts on Sarah Palin :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6urw_PWHYk

• Advertisement

Well I don't know all the facts about the bridge, but why all the fuss about the Jet? She stated in her GOP speech:

McCain had this to say a few days ago "You know what I enjoyed the most?" McCain asked. "She took the luxury jet that was acquired by her predecessor and sold it on eBay -- made a profit." Apparently this claim was repeated in a video played to the RNC. Someone is lying here.

The bridge to nowhere was a $250 million porkbelly project linking a barely inhabited island to the Alaskan mainland.

Palin, positioning herself against this sort of waste and corruption, had this to say about it yesterday.

""I told Congress: 'Thanks but no thanks for that Bridge to Nowhere up in Alaska,' " Palin told the crowds at the "McCain Street USA" rallies. "If we wanted a bridge, we'll build it ourselves."

The woman will obviously say black is white if she sees fit. The above is an utter falsehood. She campaigned vociferously for the bridge to nowhere, until a national outcry made Congress reject it.

Hmmm, Sarah Palin really is very interesting. It says a lot about someone character and psychology that they are comfortable at that level of brazen deceit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Actually in her favour it shows that not all of her friends are right wing zealots. Though I'm skeptical of the programme's claim that they are all her closest friends.

axer wrote: »
    They sold it for $600k lower than what it was worth - not $600k lower than the purchase price. They sold it for $2.1m when it was valued at $2.7m

Politically she had no choice but to sell it since it was a very unpopular item and it was not of much use since it could not land in many of the airfields in Alaska.

Anything I’ve read up about the jet states that the Murkowski administration bought the jet for $2.7 million. It was about 21 years old when it was sold, and they had it for 2 years. Don’t these things ever wear out? There was a reserve price on it of $2.5 million on eBay. The main point is that Sarah Palin didn’t buy it, and she tried very hard to sell it, as it was wasteful. Whatever about McCain, Sarah Palin did not lie about it.

The main point is that Sarah Palin didn’t buy it, and she tried very hard to sell it, as it was wasteful. Whatever about McCain, Sarah Palin did not lie about it.

Could you please explain Mrs Palin's honesty here?

""I told Congress: 'Thanks but no thanks for that Bridge to Nowhere up in Alaska,' " Palin told the crowds at the "McCain Street USA" rallies. "If we wanted a bridge, we'll build it ourselves."

Interesting, isn't it? People throwing stones in glasshouses etc. I bet that one cracked more than a few glass ceilings.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Dave, many people could care less about what some Hollywood celebrity has to say. Maybe you could post up what Paris Hilton thinks of Palin as well

Anything I’ve read up about the jet states that the Murkowski administration bought the jet for $2.7 million. It was about 21 years old when it was sold, and they had it for 2 years. Don’t these things ever wear out? There was a reserve price on it of $2.5 million on eBay. The main point is that Sarah Palin didn’t buy it, and she tried very hard to sell it, as it was wasteful. Whatever about McCain, Sarah Palin did not lie about it.
    She gave the false impression that she sold the airplane on ebay in her speech at the Republican convention.

"It was the practice of the state to dispose of items such as this via eBay prior to listing the jet," Vern Jones, Alaska's Chief Procurement Officer said. They had been doing it for up to 3 years before Palin got elected governor. So it wasn't as if she came up with the idea.

Actually trying to sell the aircraft on ebay actually cost them $20,000 a month in costs of holding the airplane. They had wasted about 6-8 months trying to sell it on ebay before hiring a broker (which cost them about $80,000 more).

She also lied about the bridge to nowhere and acted as if she had stopped it when in fact she supported it until it was no longer popular.

BenjAii wrote: »
    Could you please explain Mrs Palin's honesty here?

I don't know enough about that one yet. I'll have to get back to it. I believe it's wrong and foolish to tell lies. If I find that what you are saying is true then I will have to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

whitey1 wrote: »
    Dave, many people could care less about what some Hollywood celebrity has to say. Maybe you could post up what Paris Hilton thinks of Palin as well

Actually, as an intelligent, apparently clued-in, well/straight spoken american voter and taxpayer, I would very much like to hear what what Matt Damon has to say about the US elections.

TBH, he raised a couple of very important concerns. One of them is the international stage & Putin in particular; The other is dinosaurs or by proxy - the cynical pandering to a religious fringe and how honest is that pandering.

Advertisement