Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like McCain has picked his VP...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

PillyPen wrote: »

The whole has turned hilarious. There are reports now that McCain has sent in his team to Alaska to have her vetted (just now).

Found this as well... tbh it reads like Landover baptists so I can't honestly take it serious despite claims the site is real. If it is real appears not only liberal blogs spreading it.

http://baptistsforbrown2008.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/sin-spotting-sarah-palins-latest-child-is-not-hers/?referer=sphere_related_content

On another note, Sarah Palin said she visted Ireland. Can't find anything on her visit though? When did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Hobbes wrote: »
    The whole has turned hilarious. There are reports now that McCain has sent in his team to Alaska to have her vetted (just now).

Found this as well... tbh it reads like Landover baptists so I can't honestly take it serious despite claims the site is real.

http://baptistsforbrown2008.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/sin-spotting-sarah-palins-latest-child-is-not-hers/?referer=sphere_related_content

Lol, "Sin Spotting"? That's the great thing about the religious right, they're always doing something droll.

And what's the point of vetting her now, really? Has anyone ever changed their VP during an election? I don't think it would reflect very well.

actually that site is pure satire and fricken hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 dublinmayflower

Her 17 yr old is 5 months pregnant and is marrying the father, the Mc Cain campaign announced. Poor girl, what choice did she really have in view to having the baby or marraige. It's like 1950's Ireland!

• Advertisement

Her 17 yr old is 5 months pregnant and is marrying the father, the Mc Cain campaign announced. Poor girl, what choice did she really have in view to having the baby or marraige. It's like 1950's Ireland!

Yes, it's terrible, especially having to go through it all in the public eye. I really feel for her.

found this as well.
    “Wasilla’s new mayor asks officials to quit,” Daily Sitka Sentinel, 10/28/96, p. 3.

The newly elected mayor of Wasilla has asked all the city’s top managers to resign in order to test their loyalty to her administration…. She’s also been criticized by the local semiweekly newspaper for a new policy requiring department heads to get the mayor’s approval before talking to reporters. An editorial in The Frontiersman labeled it a ‘gag order.’”
    http://sitkasentinel.newspaperarchive.com/ (you have to pay)

Very strange.

Frontiersman archive I tried and doesn't appear to work at all for that time period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

OMG im rolling around the place laughing at that site!

Some quotes
    Hillary Clinton: Vile, treasonous woman that she is, believes she can become President.

Barack Obama Hussein Bin Laden: Muslim, Pro-Homosexual, Pro-Abortion, America hater. Carries the curse of Ham.

This from the hellbound page of the people going to well ... hell!
    we’ve chosen Katharine Harris of Florida as THE MOST GODLY REPUBLICAN IN THE UNITED STATES OF JESUS!

Praise the Lord!

:D:D

It must be a pi$$ take!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Regarding the VP selection itself, yea it is exiting but its a hail mary pass. It will be a spectacular success or a disaster. These latest truths to come out havn't helped at all!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

found this as well.

The Mayor of San Francisco did exactly the same thing last year. Doesn't seem to be particularly unusual in the US, though I admit I don't actually like the concept. If you want to get rid of someone, just fire their ass.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/11/BAUFS33BL.DTL

But not just the top managers. He hit every single appointee in the city, several hundred people.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

there's more yet, lol

Alan Colmes (of all people) seems to have found out something interesting
    http://www.alan.com/2008/08/29/conservative-family-values/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Mayor of San Francisco did exactly the same thing last year. Doesn't seem to be particularly unusual in the US, though I admit I don't actually like the concept. If you want to get rid of someone, just fire their ass.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/11/BAUFS33BL.DTL

But not just the top managers. He hit every single appointee in the city, several hundred people.

NTM
    I don't think thats on. Fair enough if he wants to say it to the non-performers so they can go now instead of being fired, but it shows a lack of leadership and self confidence - "this mayor isn't brave enough to fire someone who isn't doing their job".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She appears to be almost as popular as Obama according to Rasmussen. The two old boys must be a bit put out by the young 'uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I think this Letter in Today's Irish Times sums up perfectly Irish people's hypocritical stance to the GOP and the right in general
    Madam, — Commentary on Senator John McCain's choice of Governor Sarah Palin as vice-presidential candidate has focused on her "conservatism" on social issues.

As far as I can see, Mrs Palin's social conservatism extents to her opposition to abortion and gay marriage.

Given that neither abortion nor gay marriage is permitted in Ireland, it's amusing to hear so much alarm being expressed here about Mrs Palin's conservatism. - Yours,etc,

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That letter misses a very fundamental point: that those in Ireland who take issue with the GOP's conservatism are almost certainly those who take issue with the same conservatism in Ireland.

The fact that Ireland doesn't allow gay marriage or abortion doesn't mean that nobody in Ireland wants gay marriage or abortion. I would have thought that was self-evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Looks like we’ve finally risen above the slime regarding candidate’s children and are back to real political discussion, discourse and humor in this thread.

We keep hearing about CHANGE. Looking at the four players now in the election… Obama, Biden, McCain and Palin; the only one that has proven they can deliver on CHANGE is Palin. She has taken on the corruption of some of the GOP in Alaska, turned against her own party's establishment, fought for reform…. AND SUCCEEDED! And she will take Obama and Biden to task for their SILENCE regarding their own party’s corruption in Illinois, Delaware and Washington.

There is a lot of talk about the McCain’s VP pick being about the women vote, the conservative base, going after Hillary’s disgruntled supporters, blah blah blah.

I tend to believe more in the mavericks own words "I have found the right partner to help me stand up to those who value their privileges over their responsibilities, who put power over principle, and put their interests before your needs...I found someone with an outstanding reputation for standing up to special interests and entrenched bureaucracies; someone who has fought against corruption and the failed policies of the past."

I think McCain sees a politician who sees the world as he does.

Yes Palin has warts, but the type of warts most American families deal with every day. Most of the elite media find her pick disgusting, but what they fail to see is Sarah Barracuda resonates with the average American. At a gathering of about 50 people over the holiday weekend of mostly Democrats (in the battleground state of PA), one word kept coming up in conversations I had about politics… BACKBONE. It seems that my democratic friends feel that between the four, the only one with real backbone is Sarah Palin. It seems she offers something "We the People" desperately need in Washington… someone with backbone. I’ve now seen that her choice as VP has caused more than several democrats to seriously reconsider McCain over Obama.

From what I’ve seen and heard so far, I tend to agree with a respected democrat's recent comments. "We may be seeing the first woman president. As a Democrat, I am reeling," said Camille Paglia, the cultural critic. "That was the best political speech I have ever seen delivered by an American woman politician. Palin is as tough as nails."
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4641030.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=797093

And watch for this… PALIN EQUALS OBAMA

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The fact that Ireland doesn't allow gay marriage or abortion doesn't mean that nobody in Ireland wants gay marriage or abortion. I would have thought that was self-evident.

Various votes over the past 25 years have demonstrated that abortion is not popular with the Irish population and I'd imagine that a gay marriage referendum would also be defeated

It is my opinion that most of the people in Ireland who are all for Obama and all against McCain would vote against abortion or gay marriage, be the first to be concerned if a black person moved into the house next door and complain bitterly about a raise in taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It is my opinion that most of the people in Ireland who are all for Obama and all against McCain would vote against abortion or gay marriage, be the first to be concerned if a black person moved into the house next door and complain bitterly about a raise in taxes

Why would 'they' then support Obama? Why are his policies more appealing?

Or are you saying that the very people who would scoff at a black person moving in beside them, would vote for a black candidate?

What is our motivation for liking Obama so much? You appear to know how I feel about everything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Looks like we’ve finally risen above the slime regarding candidate’s children and are back to real political discussion, discourse and humor in this thread.
    If they are trying to peg her as the "hockey mom" then they are asking for scrutiny of that. I don't see anything wrong about her daughter being pregnant at 17 but I do hope she is not being forced into a marraige with the father just because of her parents. It also makes her mother look like somewhat of a fool preaching about abstinence when she cannot even convince her own daughter.
    We keep hearing about CHANGE. Looking at the four players now in the election… Obama, Biden, McCain and Palin; the only one that has proven they can deliver on CHANGE is Palin. She has taken on the corruption of some of the GOP in Alaska, turned against her own party's establishment, fought for reform…. AND SUCCEEDED! And she will take Obama and Biden to task for their SILENCE regarding their own party’s corruption in Illinois, Delaware and Washington.
    She has absolutely no national experience. Its a different ball game then. She might have the will to make changes but I doubt that is enough.
    There is a lot of talk about the McCain’s VP pick being about the women vote, the conservative base, going after Hillary’s disgruntled supporters, blah blah blah.

I tend to believe more in the mavericks own words "I have found the right partner to help me stand up to those who value their privileges over their responsibilities, who put power over principle, and put their interests before your needs...I found someone with an outstanding reputation for standing up to special interests and entrenched bureaucracies; someone who has fought against corruption and the failed policies of the past."
    He waited to see who obama would pick first before choosing her in a rushed risky move.
    I think McCain sees a politician who sees the world as he does.
    He knew that in one meeting? One would think you would get to know someone properly before hiring them not just meeting them once of twice.
    Yes Palin has warts, but the type of warts most American families deal with every day. Most of the elite media find her pick disgusting, but what they fail to see is Sarah Barracuda resonates with the average American. At a gathering of about 50 people over the holiday weekend of mostly Democrats (in the battleground state of PA), one word kept coming up in conversations I had about politics… BACKBONE. It seems that my democratic friends feel that between the four, the only one with real backbone is Sarah Palin. It seems she offers something "We the People" desperately need in Washington… someone with backbone. I’ve now seen that her choice as VP has caused more than several democrats to seriously reconsider McCain over Obama.

From what I’ve seen and heard so far, I tend to agree with a respected democrat's recent comments. "We may be seeing the first woman president. As a Democrat, I am reeling," said Camille Paglia, the cultural critic. "That was the best political speech I have ever seen delivered by an American woman politician. Palin is as tough as nails."
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4641030.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=797093

And watch for this… PALIN EQUALS OBAMA
    God forbid if McCain ever dies in office (which is very possible at his age and considering he has had cancer before). Can you imagine Palin running the USA? The perfect time to attack it.

I will have no more sympathy for the American people if they vote more republicans into the whitehouse. 50% were stupid enough to vote George W(ar) Bush back in so I do not doubt there will be enough stupid americans to vote in McCain-Palin.

Otacon wrote: »
    Why would 'they' then support Obama? Why are his policies more appealing?

Or are you saying that the very people who would scoff at a black person moving in beside them, would vote for a black candidate?

What is our motivation for liking Obama so much? You appear to know how I feel about everything else...

It’s because we have a over generous opinion of ourselves

We like to think we are smarter than everyone else, and we certainly like to think that we are much smarter than those ‘stupid yanks’

We like to think we are liberal, open minded, sophisticated.

We like Obama cos we think, ‘Oh wouldn’t be great if a young black man became president of the US’, and ‘Oh wouldn’t it be great if those dumb Americans opened their minds a bit and made a bold move’

But we are not smarter than everyone else, we are not liberal, open minded, or sophisticated.

We have elected the same government 3 elections in a row now, and after each election we complain about their performance.

Read the 2004 Us election thread, all you will see is people complaining about hoe could the US elect Bush again, and all that follows them are replies saying ‘sure didn’t we do the same in the 2002 general election’
    axer wrote:
    I will have no more sympathy for the American people if they vote more republicans into the whitehouse. 50% were stupid enough to vote George W(ar) Bush back in so I do not doubt there will be enough stupid americans to vote in McCain-Palin.

Wow, you just made my point while I was off composing this post, well done.

• Advertisement

It’s because we have a over generous opinion of ourselves

We like to think we are smarter than everyone else, and we certainly like to think that we are much smarter than those ‘stupid yanks’

We like to think we are liberal, open minded, sophisticated.

We like Obama cos we think, ‘Oh wouldn’t be great if a young black man became president of the US’, and ‘Oh wouldn’t it be great if those dumb Americans opened their minds a bit and made a bold move’

But we are not smarter than everyone else, we are not liberal, open minded, or sophisticated.

We have elected the same government 3 elections in a row now, and after each election we complain about their performance.

Read the 2004 Us election thread, all you will see is people complaining about hoe could the US elect Bush again, and all that follows them are replies saying ‘sure didn’t we do the same in the 2002 general election’
    Isn't it great that we are all the same in Ireland and all think alike.

axer wrote: »
    Isn't it great that we are all the same in Ireland and all think alike.

2007 General election result would point that way alright

2007 General election result would point that way alright
    You seem to think that we all complained about our government's performance and vote for them again - any proof to back that up? I for one didn't do either.

axer wrote: »
    God forbid if McCain ever dies in office (which is very possible at his age and considering he has had cancer before). Can you imagine Palin running the USA? The perfect time to attack it.

Not to worry… I think McCain has some pretty good genes.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1574182/John-McCain-and-mother-'defy-age'.html

And I would feel better with Palin in the highest executive position over Obama. Oh and thanks, this might be a shocker, but we stupid americans (as you put it) don’t need or want your sympathy.

If Americans vote Republican again than we truly are the dumbest nation in the world. And I want the sympathy, having Bush was awful and it was nice to have the rest of the world commiserating!

I don't like Obama but I'd sure as hell prefer him over McCain or that she-bitch from hell Palin.

Oh and thanks, this might be a shocker, but we stupid americans (as you put it) don’t need or want your sympathy.
    I said the 50% that did vote for Bush are/were stupid - not all americans. If you were in that 50% then i'm sorry to hear.

... than we truly are the dumbest nation in the world.

Aren't you moving to Ireland real soon?

Aren't you moving to Ireland real soon?

Yes. Point?

Yes. Point?
    I don't get the "we" point.

• Advertisement