Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like McCain has picked his VP...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

axer wrote: »
    I said the 50% that did vote for Bush are/were stupid - not all americans. If you were in that 50% then i'm sorry to hear.

This election is starting to shaping up like the last one and our own election. Bush was a known and people just didn't trust Kerry enough in the end to hand him the reins, even though they knew what Bush was about. As PillyPen comments suggest it could be the one that people least dislike or distrust who gets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I think this Letter in Today's Irish Times sums up perfectly Irish people's hypocritical stance to the GOP and the right in general

They are only two issues would Irish conservatives support banning the morning after pill, guns for everyone, drilling for oil in nature reserves etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I don't think parents can necessarily be blamed for this sort of behavior, but it's still funny:

http://perezhilton.com/2008-09-02-what-did-her-mom-do-wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Oh oh… slipping back into the deepest darkest recesses of the rat’s nest are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    They are only two issues would Irish conservatives support banning the morning after pill, guns for everyone, drilling for oil in nature reserves etc ?

Of the three mentioned

morning after pill – Yes, I am not an expert (seeing as I am Pope) but are there not restrictions on it here already ?

guns for everyone – not relevant to Ireland, in Ireland you would be asking for something new to be introduced rather than something be maintained as is the case in the US

drilling for oil in nature reserves – I’m sure our three times democratically elected government you love to get some multi-national in drilling for oil in the Lakes of Killarney if they thought there was few bob in it.

• Advertisement

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Oh oh… slipping back into the deepest darkest recesses of the rat’s nest are we?

If you're a Republican then you must know all about the rat's nest.

Philly… it may be more serious than you think. :rolleyes:

"If McCain wins, look for a full-fledged race and class war, fueled by a deflated and depressed country, soaring crime, homelessness - and hopelessness!"
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20080902_Fatimah_Ali__We_need_Obama__not_4_more_years_of_George_Bush.html?text=xlg&c=y

And it looks like the race war will break out in Philadelphia. Good thing you’re getting out of there… safe travels.

I honestly can't tell what the hell you're talking about. You seem to be a right-winger not job, but I'm assuming you're from PA as well as I am. Bury the hatchet and make friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Benedict XVI

Of the three mentioned

morning after pill – Yes, I am not an expert (seeing as I am Pope) but are there not restrictions on it here already ?

Just need a prescription.

guns for everyone – not relevant to Ireland, in Ireland you would be asking for something new to be introduced rather than something be maintained as is the case in the US

Maybe.

drilling for oil in nature reserves – I’m sure our three times democratically elected government you love to get some multi-national in drilling for oil in the Lakes of Killarney if they thought there was few bob in it.

They can't build a road without tons of objections and protests

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What is interesting in all this is how the Republican based media (eg. FoxNews) is trying to claim Obama had something to do with the rumour.

So Obama has come out not only denying they have anything to do with the rumour or spreading of it but he will in fact fire anyone from his team who tries to do it.

• Advertisement

PillyPen wrote: »
    I honestly can't tell what the hell you're talking about. You seem to be a right-winger not job, but I'm assuming you're from PA as well as I am. Bury the hatchet and make friends?

No, my wife is part of the vast right-wing conspiracy… I’m a RINO in her view. :)

As for the second part, sure… we can have differing viewpoints and still be civil.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Various votes over the past 25 years have demonstrated that abortion is not popular with the Irish population and I'd imagine that a gay marriage referendum would also be defeated

It is my opinion that most of the people in Ireland who are all for Obama and all against McCain would vote against abortion or gay marriage, be the first to be concerned if a black person moved into the house next door and complain bitterly about a raise in taxes
    You can imagine anything that tickles your fancy, but unless you can demonstrate that the same specific Irish people who have criticised specific policies of American conservatives have also espoused those policies here in Ireland, you don't have a valid point.
    And yet, a company was just refused prospecting licences to look for gold in Mayo. Go figure.

Sarah Palin’s speech Wednesday night (if Gustav cooperates) might not garner as much viewership as OBAMessiah’s night at the Parthenon, but it will definitely be worth watching. Her normalcy will be her masterstroke. Catch it if you can! You might just be watching the first woman president of the US in action.

For those interested, here is an early comparison between Biden and Palin on issues. Some early reading leading up to the VP debate. And yes, with Palin’s sudden rise to national attention, media information on her stances is lacking. (See I can be objective at times)
    http://www.kcra.com/politics/17335110/detail.html

No, my wife is part of the vast right-wing conspiracy… I’m a RINO in her view. :)

As for the second part, sure… we can have differing viewpoints and still be civil.

Yay! We've just bridged the party gap, drinks all around! (Vote Obama! :pac:)

Yay! We've just bridged the party gap, drinks all around! (Vote Obama! :pac:)

LOL… as long as it’s not beer. I’ve recently become allergic to beer… proof God has a wicked sense of humor. Alas, Poor Guinness, I Knew It Well!

(And you just had to end with that Obama crap, didn’t ya! :D )

LOL… as long as it’s not beer. I’ve recently become allergic to beer… proof God has a wicked sense of humor. Alas, Poor Guinness, I Knew It Well!

(And you just had to end with that Obama crap, didn’t ya! :D

Aw, that's awful! Does it make you sick or swell up or what? Well, you still have Jack! (One hopes!) I still have to develop a taste for Guinness, and soon!

(So nice how alcohol brings everyone together!) Vote McCain '08!!!*

*But not really, and only for ****s and giggles. :p

Aw, that's awful! Does it make you sick or swell up or what? Well, you still have Jack! (One hopes!) I still have to develop a taste for Guinness, and soon!

(So nice how alcohol brings everyone together!) Vote McCain '08!!!*

*But not really, and only for ****s and giggles. :p

Tongue swells, throat swells and I lose my voice (I know, most here will say KEEP DRINKING DA BEER). Have grown to develop a taste for Johnny Walker Black scotch whiskey.

Gotta be Guinness on tap… that canned stuff is crap.

Common ground: Vote Cynthia McKinney! (sadly no puke smiley)

Latest news is the results on Troopergate are scheduled out 4 days before the election. McCain camp are trying to delay the results.

Also for laughs check out Tucker Bounds trying to defend Palin when asked one simple question which he is incapable of answering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

McCain just lost the election.

Hobbes wrote: »
    Latest news is the results on Troopergate are scheduled out 4 days before the election. McCain camp are trying to delay the results.

Ah Troopergate… another wonderful one word buzz term... and of course nothing provided to describe it.

I won’t get into a lot of specifics, so click the link below for a full reading. But who here feels it is wrong in trying to remove someone described below, if true, from a police force:

"a drunk and an abusive father who was, frankly, a liability to both the state as his employer and his fellow law enforcement officers."

Add to it:
    "In 2006, before Palin was governor, Wooten was suspended for ten days for threatening to kill McCann’s (and Palin’s) father, tasering his 11-year-old stepson, drinking beer in his squad car, and violating game laws. After a union protest, the suspension was reduced to five days."

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/palin_and_troopergate

Decide for yourselves, but I think it would be criminal of her to not try and remove someone described like this from the police ranks.

Don’t know about the rest of you, but if most people threatened to kill someone, I wouldn’t expect them to simply get a 5 day suspension… thank you unions.

• Advertisement

While I agree with you that he should of been fired, it is the actions they took to try and get him fired while at the same time trying to get child support out of him. Also a lot of the crap that came up in the investigations were not brought to light when they should of been. Plus that they still went after him even when he had already been charged. When this was mentioned that the case was closed and they could do nothing else, that guy in question was fired.

She claimed there was no pressure put on but an investigation said otherwise.

Or that the guy that she fired his replacement is part of a sexual harassment allegations that he claims Palin was aware of. Then refused to step down only to step down shortly after been given a 10K serverence package. While the guy she had fired was just doing his job got nothing.

But if she has nothing to fear then why delay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It's ironic that 5 years before her sister's divorce Palin was Wooter's reference to get the job.
    “America had more people with the grace and sincerity that mirrors the character of Mike Wooten…we would have a much kinder, gentler, trustworthy nation as a result.”
    “I have witnessed Mike’s gift of calm and kindness toward many young kids here in Wasilla… I have never seen him raise his voice, nor lose patience nor become aggitated [sic] in the presence of any child. Instead, Mike consistently remains a fine role model for my own children, and other young people in Wasilla.”
    Did he become this bad person over night? Is Palin that bad of a judge of character or did she just start turning against him once her sister's marraige was on the rocks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

All this talk leads me to believe that Palin will be a disaster for McCain.
    As a voter said on CNN "if she cant look after her family then whats the hope for the country"
    Now i dont give a **** about the teen pregency but i would be concerned on her lack of experience. She offers very little but more of the same. Obama has very little or no experience aswell but he has a vision, policies of change something new etc. He is laying down the framework of that change and the latest polls show they like what they hear.

Also anyone see the latest polls? Huge bump for obama but whats interesting this bump came after the VP nomination and the whole teen pregers thing, with the whole "who is sarah palin" question in the air.

First polls after the convention looked like the bump to be canceled out by the GOP VP nomination and at most it was +3. Now there are figures coming in and obama is getting +6,+7,+8,+9! in various polls.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/latestpolls/index.html

The GOP convention will get some bump aswell but i dont think it will be enough to close the gap maybe down to +3/4 to obama but it was the status que last month.
    McCain has a good august up to last week but now the race is tightning.

It will be a close election but McCain has pretty much been always behind and still will be in the near future even after the conventions are over. What can he do?
    With the debates coming up where the dems will wipe the floor then i cant see a silver bullet anywhere for the GOP, but you never know with them.

Last year kerry was leading up to the conventions, Dems had a poor one Reps had a really good one. Bush leads up to the first debate, blows that kerry catches up in the polls. Bush settles down for the next 2 debates and gets on message and the race is a dead heat. Bush squezes through more so on social issues then the iraq war. When push came to shove people voted with the guy they knew bad as he was with the guy they didnt know or trust.

I cant see the dems blowing this one.

So what do ye guys think, especially PJ?
    How do ye see the election panning out

It’s just now being reported the Democrat party has released Sarah Palin’ s home phone number, social security number digits, and address to the press in their opposition research. This nonsense, if true, has to stop!
    http://www.redstate.com/diaries/redstate/2008/sep/02/breaking-democrats-release-sarah-palins-soc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ugh.

Issue One :thats a blog.

A friend of mine runs a democrat blog, I'm good friends with her (from highschool) but I wouldn't trust her blog for a second.

Issue Two: SSN's have a state and date identifier, which are the first five digits, if you know someone born in the same state at around the same time as Sarah Palin, you can get the first 5 digits. The last four are the unique aspect and if they blacked those out, she's fine.

Issue Three: Sarah Palin's home phone number is readily available in the public domain.

Issue Four: Sarah Palin's address and property is available though any background check website (for 30 dollars). I checked, it's there.. I didnt pay to get it though.

What's the point to this?

GuanYin wrote: »
    Ugh.

What's the point to this?

If true, do you think this type of thing is ethical and should be encouraged?

Also, the New York Time has featured 3 page one stories about Palin’s daughter today. But would anyone reading the NYT know that the US has handed the Anbar Province back to the Iraqis?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/politics/02vetting.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/politics/02mother.html?hp=&pagewanted=print
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/politics/02assess.html?hp=&pagewanted=print
    I hear that they might change the moniker from the Gray Lady to the Shady Lady.

jank wrote: »
    So what do ye guys think, especially PJ?
    How do ye see the election panning out

Surprise... I disagree with most of what you have to say, except I agree with you that this will be a close election (if I'm the PJ you speak about).

I think she has more executive experience than the other three.

I think I'll better know about the bounce after the GOP speeches (but have you seen zogby?).

But hey... if this election didn't have more twists than the plot of "Lost," these discussions would be pretty bland. So grab some popcorn, flex the fingers and let'r rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If true, do you think this type of thing is ethical and should be encouraged?
    Well I don't know how true it is (as a swing voter, I'm not inclined to believe anything from a red or blue website any more than I'd take paleontology lessons from a baptist website).

It depends on the context of what the release was, which your link didn't give. If it was part of standard information, ok, if they were saying "use this to cause trouble" I'd say no.

Also, I doubt it was the Democractic Party. A fanatical democrat does not mean the party is behind it.
    Also, the New York Time has featured 3 page one stories about Palin’s daughter today. But would anyone reading the NYT know that the US has handed the Anbar Province back to the Iraqis?

Oh come on, the average american couldn't pick out Iraq on a map, nevermind the Anbar province.

Most of us are embarassed about Iraq to the point we dont want to see it. The NYT is just selling papers.

In anycase, what has the NYT got to do with the behavior of the democratic party?

GuanYin wrote: »
    In anycase, what has the NYT got to do with the behavior of the democratic party?

That has got to be one of the best lines I've ever read here :D.
    The phrase "We hold these truths to be self evident" keeps running through my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭KJ_2008

Don’t know about the rest of you, but if most people threatened to kill someone, I wouldn’t expect them to simply get a 5 day suspension… thank you unions.

Your naivety is touching :rolleyes:.

Who made the allegations against the trooper?

Err, the Palin family.

Any independent witnesses?

Nope.

Were you aware the trooper was involved in a child custody battle with Palin's sister?

My, wouldn't his case weaken if (a) he was sacked from his job and (b) he was accused of threatening to kill folk?

PS You don't think Palin should have stepped back from attempting to have the guy sacked when he was her ex-brother-in-law? Sound judgement? :D

Advertisement