Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like McCain has picked his VP...

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Hey jank, help a yank out and instruct me on how ya’ll get multiple quotes into a post, and I will oblige you.
    [noparse]
    You can put the text you want to quote in tags like this.
    [/noparse]

Alternatively, hit the multi-quote button multiquote_off.gif on each post you want to quote, and hit the Reply button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

PillyPen wrote: »
    Ha, that's the truth. PA is horrible for that and I imagine Alaska is worse. Still, I come from a town of about 38,000 (Williamsport, PJ, if you're from the Poconos you probably know it), and this is our city hall. How small must Wasilla be? Of course, she went on to become governor, but of Alaska. I'm not sure that's really valid experience for VP.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/City_Hall_Williamsport_Pennsylvania.JPG/250px-City_Hall_Williamsport_Pennsylvania.JPG

Wasilla City Hall:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/319098225_e3fb99541f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

FatherTed wrote: »

Lets hope she doesnt make Washington look this boring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

jank wrote: »
    More the McCain or Biden:eek:

McCain, no. Biden's been a Senator since Christ was a Corporal, and a lawyer before that, so yes.

The difference between legislative and executive experience is that one has you as the MFIC, the other has you basically opining a lot.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

This whole stuff about Palin's daughter shouldnt even be an issue except for her staunch support for teenage sex abstinence programs. Which in this case shows that the dont work all the time.

Also, I'm sure if it was Obama's or Biden's daughter who was knocked up, the right wingers would be all over it.

It's just politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

It's just politics.

No, it's just WRONG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Yeah. Imagine if a Republican candidate started making personal comments about the teenage offspring of an opponent. Oh wait...
    "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
    Because her father is Janet Reno."

John McCain June 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

No, it's just WRONG!

I think the issue is that Palin advocates a sex education policy which did not even work for her. She still wants to force this policy on others. Others who might not have the same resources as her to bring the child up well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus, just read Palin's positions on various things.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Sarah_Palin

pro-life, creationist, abstinence-only, anti-gay marriage, pro-death penalty, NRA member...........

What a gem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

McCain, no. Biden's been a Senator since Christ was a Corporal, and a lawyer before that, so yes.

The difference between legislative and executive experience is that one has you as the MFIC, the other has you basically opining a lot.

NTM

Hold on, none of the other three have executive experience - McCain himself said she has more executive experience than he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

latenia wrote: »
    Yeah. Imagine if a Republican candidate started making personal comments about the teenage offspring of an opponent. Oh wait...
    "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
    Because her father is Janet Reno."

John McCain June 1998

Yeah but that's funny :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I already posted that, silly!

Yeah, Republicans have no right to talk about mud-slinging. At least Obama took the high road and said Bristol is off-limits, that's classy of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

gets funnier. Apprantly she cut funding for teenage moms.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html

I have to wonder what was McCain thinking.

Hobbes wrote: »

Exactly! What shocks me the most is that the Republican party is standing behind him on this! If I were a pub I'd be pissed! Highly irresponsible and it might (god willing) cost them the election. Dems frequently show dissent within the party, but the Republican party is such a good 'ol boys club that it just doesn't happen.

Well I tried the multi quote thing to no avail... I do my best my way.
    . . . . . . .
    jank wrote: »
    All this talk leads me to believe that Palin will be a disaster for McCain.
    Why do you say that? If its an "experience factor," then the same argument could be made about Obama. If it is "decision factors" then where is the traditional media’s tough reporting on Obama’s relationship with Bill Ayers, the convicted and unrepenting terrorist, or his spiritual adviser Rev. Wright.

As a voter said on CNN "if she cant look after her family then whats the hope for the country"
    How often has that been asked of a man running for office?

She offers very little but more of the same.
    Have you read anything about Sarah Palin? The same what?

Obama has very little or no experience aswell but he has a vision, policies of change something new etc. He is laying down the framework of that change and the latest polls show they like what they hear.
    Ah, I know that vision well… TAXES, TAXES AND MORE TAXES.

Also anyone see the latest polls? Huge bump for obama but whats interesting this bump came after the VP nomination and the whole teen pregers thing, with the whole "who is sarah palin" question in the air.
    When the poll differences are greater then the number of houses John Kerry has, then maybe I might be worried (see, two can play that game).

The GOP convention will get some bump aswell but i dont think it will be enough to close the gap maybe down to +3/4 to obama but it was the status que last month.
    McCain has a good august up to last week but now the race is tightning.
    Maybe, but we’ll just have to wait and see, won’t we. It won't be too long of a wait.

It will be a close election but McCain has pretty much been always behind and still will be in the near future even after the conventions are over. What can he do?
    Punt?

With the debates coming up where the dems will wipe the floor then i cant see a silver bullet anywhere for the GOP, but you never know with them.
    Don’t be so sure of that. Obama will have a tough time with McCain. Look at the post Saddleback analysis. It will be hard for Biden to control himself, and Palin isn’t referred to as "Barracuda" for nothing.

Last year kerry was leading up to the conventions, Dems had a poor one Reps had a really good one. Bush leads up to the first debate, blows that kerry catches up in the polls. Bush settles down for the next 2 debates and gets on message and the race is a dead heat. Bush squezes through more so on social issues then the iraq war. When push came to shove people voted with the guy they knew bad as he was with the guy they didnt know or trust.
    After Kerry lost, there was a lot of talk that the Dems had to stop putting flaming liberals on the Presidential ticket. And where are they now? They fail to realize the hard line liberals come out early and hard in the primaries with momentum and ride for all it’s worth. Hillary sure made a charge, albeit too late, at the end… didn’t she?

I cant see the dems blowing this one.
    I think they may alread have!

Hey Pocono Joe, what did you think of the Hillary?

Hey Pocono Joe, what did you think of the Hillary?

I try not to think of Hillary.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I prefer her to Obama or Edwards. I think she ran her campaign poorly. Also, she didn't difference her views enough from the OBAMessiah.

But I won’t say anything badly about her… don’t want to end up with the "Arkansas Flu"
    http://www.clintonmemoriallibrary.com/clintbodycnt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

OBAMessiah.

Pocono, man your hard-line conservative! I think you need to start worrying about your parties choice in its VP. She is being trashed by the majority of the media here. But aside from that I live in Texas, (im irish married to a Texan), a republican state, i don't think I know a democrat and if i do they stay very quite, but everyone I talk to about the Palin choice are confused and don't understand it! That is normal everyday peoples opinion, same voters McCain needs to show up election day. Now if they are saying this in Texas, i would hate to think whats happening in other inferior, ha no i mean less republican states.
    And the polls this morning have McCain down by 8 points, now i would be somewhere in the middle as regards to being a left or right voter but i have a feeling the race is running away from the republicans.

Murfie, I wouldn’t say hard line… maybe for this site, okay. Lets wait until after tonight’s speeches. Maybe you’re right, maybe you’re wrong. She did bring in $10 million of contributions into the McCain campaign in just 3 days. That’s gotta say something.

How’s the bass fishing in Texas? Haven’t been out in the boat for a couple of weeks… getting withdrawals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

i hear its good although i am not a fisherman. the river tubing on the gaudalupe was great last weekend though!
    Ya, i agree, its to be decided which way its going to go. I will be very interested in her speech tonight, she really needs to make it a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

gets funnier. Apprantly she cut funding for teenage moms.

He probably wasn't. This pick has Rove written all over it.

Not only a former beauty queen but a sports news reader

No wonder she doesn't take her specs off for contacts. Reading from the teleprompter made her cross eyed.

Beaver Round up? :pac:

Lirange wrote: »
    He probably wasn't. This pick has Rove written all over it.

Not only a former beauty queen but a sports news reader

No wonder she doesn't take her specs off for contacts. Reading from the teleprompter made her cross eyed.

Beaver Round up? :pac:

Wow, her accent is annoying. She sounds like she's from Wisconsin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Murfie, I wouldn’t say hard line… maybe for this site, okay. Lets wait until after tonight’s speeches. Maybe you’re right, maybe you’re wrong. She did bring in $10 million of contributions into the McCain campaign in just 3 days. That’s gotta say something.

It seems to say..."this woman is a token gender element which is being used for publicity and income." Wouldn't you agree?

murfie wrote: »
    (im irish married to a Texan)

I can't tell if you're male or female... but thinking about it now: Irish - married to a Texan - living in Houston... You're not my uncle Delcan are you?

It seems to say..."this woman is a token gender element which is being used for publicity and income." Wouldn't you agree?

No, I would say she appeals to the conservative base – where the majority of the contributions came from, is a reformer, has the same vision as McCain, and is the only one on either of the two tickets with any executive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Wow, her accent is annoying. She sounds like she's from Wisconsin!
    Like that nasally Chicago accent. Sounds like the obese secretary from Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Principal Victoria from South Park.

Hopefully only two more months of this.

Lirange wrote: »
    Like that nasally Chicago accent. Sounds like the obese secretary from Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Principal Victoria from South Park.

Hopefully only two more months of this.

Lol, yes! Or like the mom from Bobby's World. Couldn't find her talking, but here's an impersonation:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No, I would say she appeals to the conservative base – where the majority of the contributions came from, is a reformer, has the same vision as McCain, and is the only one on either of the two tickets with any executive experience.

Reformer? In what sense? How does she have the same vision as McCain, she's much more conservative than him for a start. Just because she's a governor it makes her a good pick? If she isn't a token gesture, why didn't they pick Condi rice? WAAAAAAAAY more experience, and more senior, than Palin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Only 1 false rumor so far.

And plenty more to come I am sure
    She is in no way qualified to be a VP.

And yet shes run a state for 2 years, and Obamas run only a campaign team...
    When your platform is no contraception, abstinence only then yea it does become a bit of an issue.

Then tackle her views on their merits or lackthereof alone. Using her daughter as a punching bag is fairly low. Sarah Palin is running for VP, not Bristol Palin.
    Interesting. That news broke back in January. Surprised the media didn't make a big deal out of that?

It broke when Obama described his proto-junkie days in one of his memoirs. Id assume the media didnt make a big deal of it because they wanted to stay on message for the campaign. And probably McCain is saving the "So you want this guy leading the fight against drugs?" theme for closer to the election.
    Palins bachelors degree in Journalism from University of Idaho Vs. Obama's Columbia Political Science and Harvard Law?

Sorry there is no contest.

Sorry, I can understand you wanting to avoid recognising Obama cant match Palins executive experience but your bringing the qualification for President down to university degrees? Ignoring the reality Palins run a state and Obama...has...not? Yeah, thatll do a lot to combat that image of Obama as an elitist.
    I think you stepped back too far and fell off the cliff. When I read up on him it is nothing like your sound bite.

Of course not - youre hooked on the guy, youve bought the marketing and thats fine. But if you look at his achievements hes got only two - going from no ticket to the DNC in 2000 to accepting the Presidential nomination at the DNC in 2008, and writing two books of memoirs having only had one noteworthy achievement.
    They did? When did they rush him in? Was Obama planning to pick a VP later? I was not aware of this. Prehaps you can point us to where you saw this.

Obamas VP pick was completely underwhelming - a guy with 9000 votes, and the Dems were not as energised by this pick as the Reps were by Pallins. Obama only picked him to attempt to cover the glaring gaps in his own CV. Essentially it was to try to reassure people that even if would be wearing L plates into the Oval Office, Biden would guide him with his experience.

Only 9000 people wanted Biden calling the shots in the oval office in the first place.

In a McCain-Palin administration theres no concerns over who will be running the show. Itll be McCain.

Advertisement