Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Chain V Belt

Options
  • 29-08-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Why do all manufacturers not use timing chains instead of belts is this just dealers way of getting more money for there cars have a friend who is a BMW mechanic and he said he had never heard of a timing chain breaking so why persist with belts!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's cheaper. Fortunately several manufacturers are moving towards chains. All BMWs have had chains for years afaik, same as MBs. Toyota and Nissan are using more and more chains these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

stretchaq wrote: »
    Why do all manufacturers not use timing chains instead of belts is this just dealers way of getting more money for there cars have a friend who is a BMW mechanic and he said he had never heard of a timing chain breaking so why persist with belts!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

I asked my mechanic the exact same question when I changed from a VW Golf to a Corolla and he informed me that there was no timing belt to change. He did tell me that he had seen a number of cars with 100k miles + whose timing chains got lose and had to be changed. He said that they started to rattle over time and at certain engine speeds and inevitablly needed changing. But I agree with you that it would be more sensible if all cars had a chain instead of a belt - makes more sense to have a metal chain driving your engine rather than a plastic / rubber / nylon belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

stretchaq wrote: »

well the missus's 03 Seat Ibiza had to have it's timing chain chain replaced recently. It sliped after nearly 70k miles and it is a common fault with the tensioner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Price of changing a chain is about 1500 euro, changing a belt is quicker and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

the chains themself dont break just the tensioner happened on my 318is 75 to fix cheper than changing atiming belt!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably a tensioner change can keep car running for longer but once/if the chain starts wearing down you'll have to change it. Look for metal filings in the engine oil once it's starts to rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The life of a timing chain is very dependent on adhereing to the recommended service interval. If you go over, the oil won't do its job and the chain will wear quickly and the rattle will start.

On a car which has been serviced at the recommended intervals or even more frequently, the timing chain (and tensioner, with a few notable exceptions) should last the lifetime of the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Mayby only a marketing excuse, but have heard it that timing belts were supposed to be quieter than chains.
    Are all timing belts really timing (toothed) belts though. Are some not multi-vee belts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Sandwich wrote: »
    Mayby only a marketing excuse, but have heard it that timing belts were supposed to be quieter than chains.
    Are all timing belts really timing (toothed) belts though. Are some not multi-vee belts?

No, if it's not toothed it's not a timing belt.

I do know a girl who had the chain break on her 2 year old BMW 116i. Car had been serviced on the button by Duffy's who still had no qualms about putting their hands out for >€5k for a top end rebuild. After a lengthy dispute BMW agreed to a goodwill claim and she paid about €500 for servicing and consumables. So chains are better but not bulletproof.

Biko, changing a chain may be €1500 but ask a few Audi owners how much their timing belt change set them back.

Advertisement