Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any say where your stationed?

• 29-08-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

Just a quick question - if you make it through all the phases and tests and graduate, do you have any influence on where you are to be stationed?

Apologies if this is a dumb question...

Thank God for alias'...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Its not what you know, its who you know!

If you have no pull, then its lap of the gods stuff although lads from the bigger cities i.e. Dublin, tend to get other parts of Dublin Cork lads if not Cork then Munster etc although there were a few horror stories from my phase Kerry lad getting Bray and Offaly lad getting Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Technically they can station you anywhere in the country, but if you give them a preference they will usually try to accomodate you, But you cant be stationed in your home town. During the interview however, if they ask you where you'd like to be stationed, i say tell them anywhere, as they have no say & you want to appear to have full motivation to get in. Hope this helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

They can station you anywhere so be prepared for anything. If you get to request somewhere and they give you it then not so bad. Personally id dont mind where i go at all but there are a few places id like to avoid, (not naming names). If i got a quiet little rural town in the countryside id be nicely happy. Although you will probably have experience in lots of different areas. They may stick you in central dublin for phase 2 then randomly put u in Connemara for stage 4 or permanently. Luck of the draw probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I know of a few guards, 8 of them all from Dublin who all are now working in Dublin.

Why would they send you to the back arse of nowhere if you knew your way around Dublin/Cork/Galway etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 de nord?

Thanks for the help lads... can't see me getting posted in the hometown of Belfast, unless things change radically!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

local garda told me that, trainees from her area are being sent to counties bordering their own lately, perhaps to accomodate them/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

IT is not always like that though there is a good few folks in the current phase 3's stationed >2 hours from home; But as mentioned from other members on line here that commuting is just a part of their daily task; Students can put upp welfare requests but this does not ensure you will get the location you request . There will alwayss be tears on station day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Its not what you know, its who you know!

That's what a Garda told me!!

Also, I've known of one garda who is in his own area.. or very close.

How close can it be? 20 miles?

Advertisement