Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Import Taxes - Is the minimum value going to go up?

• 29-08-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭

I remember a thread, must be ~6months ago, where it was mentioned that the minimum value for VAT and Duty to be charged on imports was going to go up from something like €30 that it is now to €150 on, if my memory serves me correctly, september 1st? Is this going ahead? Is 150 right or am I delusional? It could be very handy for importing some unique pieces from china.

Thanks in advance for any info provided,
    Lethal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

is called "small packages" relief

google it

i'll look later if you cant get google is €22 at the momeny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

I remember a thread, must be ~6months ago, where it was mentioned that the minimum value for VAT and Duty to be charged on imports was going to go up from something like €30 that it is now to €150 on, if my memory serves me correctly, september 1st? Is this going ahead? Is 150 right or am I delusional? It could be very handy for importing some unique pieces from china.

Thanks in advance for any info provided,
    Lethal.

I found this, if it's any use. Good news when post returns to normal after the Christmas madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

scanlant wrote: »
    I found this, if it's any use. Good news when post returns to normal after the Christmas madness

Ohh, thats it. Cept its december. Ah well, one of the things I'm looking at is only gonna cost ~€25 vat so its not too bad, though I'd rather pocket the cash.

Thanks Scalant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Its been a few months, but I recall reading on the oasis.gov site that anything below the value of 45 euro is vat free.

It may have changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 the_one

Its been a few months, but I recall reading on the oasis.gov site that anything below the value of 45 euro is vat free.

It may have changed since.

got a letter only the other day from coustoms requiesting a reciept for something i had sent to me from hong kong. stated on the letter that anything up to 22euro is vat free. what i had bought was 32euro sent in the reciept with my phone number got a call the next day and the nice lady in coustoms said that it was over the 22euro but they would not be charging me anything for vat.

sometimes coustome are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

http://www.fixmytax.com/102.html

Gifts
    Customs duty and VAT is not payable on consignments of a value not exceeding €45 which are sent as gifts by private individuals from third countries for the personal or family use of private individuals in the State. However, relief from VAT does not apply in the case of tobacco products, alcohol/alcoholic beverages perfumes or toilet waters and the limits relating to relief from customs duty on such goods must be observed. Furthermore, where after excluding the value of the goods (other than tobacco products) which qualified for the relief (€45), the total value of the remainder of the dutiable goods in a gift consignment does not exceed €349.18, customs duty will be charged on the balance at the standard rate of 3.5%. The importer may, however, opt to have the goods charged at the relevant tariff rate(s) applicable. VAT and excise duty, if chargeable, will be assessed in the normal way.
    Goods of negligable value
    Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters with a value of €22 regardless of status (for private or commercial use) are admitted free of customs duty and VAT under the scheme commonly known as "small packages" relief.

BTW, what the hell is 'toilet waters'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

the_one wrote: »
    what i had bought was 32euro sent in the reciept with my phone number got a call the next day and the nice lady in coustoms said that it was over the 22euro but they would not be charging me anything for vat.

sometimes coustome are ok.

Same with me, anything less than €27-28 they've never bothered charging me for. Its nice of them since the An Post admin charge is €5 on top of VAT and any duty they stick on it!
    I have to say I've always found An Post customers are a joy to deal with: polite, friendly and helpful!

Advertisement