Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 new multi-denominational schools to open on Monday

Options
  • 29-08-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlojeykfid/rss2/

Multi-denominational primary schools group Educate Together is to open 12 new school buildings on Monday.

Educate Together schools aim to promote integration of minorities in Irish society.

There are currently 44 such primary schools around the country.

The 12 new schools are based in Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow.

According to Educate Together boss Paul Rowe, the programme shows there should be no need for the use of prefabs to address school space shortages.

Fair play to them :) Anyone know the ratio of ET:Catholic schools at the moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I'd much rather they were non-denominational rather than multi-denominational. Why bring religion into State-funded education at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

PDN wrote: »
    I'd much rather they were non-denominational rather than multi-denominational. Why bring religion into State-funded education at all?

Well there is something to be said for educating children about other cultures and beliefs. Ignorance is a recipe for prejudice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

sink wrote: »
    Well there is something to be said for educating children about other cultures and beliefs. Ignorance is a recipe for prejudice.

I agree completely. Children should be taught about religion just like they should be taught about politics, economics or any other cultural issue. However, religion as a subject matter is a world apart from giving religion a place in the running or ethos of a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is awesome. I'm quite a fan of educate together.

I agree completely. Children should be taught about religion just like they should be taught about politics, economics or any other cultural issue. However, religion as a subject matter is a world apart from giving religion a place in the running or ethos of a school.

I'm pretty sure thats what they do. By multi-denominational they mean they mean students of all denominations are welcome, rather than the school having some oddly schizophrenic ethos.

Yes Robin I said ethos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Glad to see one opening up around the corner from me in Ongar, covering Clonee and Clonsilla(I'd imagine), it's a lovely building, much better than my old primary school, and without being owned by a church. Great news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know where the Dublin one/s are? Any around Tallaght, out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Dave! wrote: »
    Well, the Ongar one(Castleheany Educate Together School) is around here:
    Untitled-2.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dave! wrote: »
    Here's the new ones... and here's the Dublin ones!

One near me in Monkstown. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes Robin I said ethos.
    Yuk, I'll have to wash my screen now. For most practical purposes, "ethos" = "control by religion".

Tried to find a thumbs-down "no-thanks" button, but can't. I feel persecuted. Or something.

• Advertisement

I asked for a thumbs down feature straight off when they put in Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

robindch wrote: »
    Yuk, I'll have to wash my screen now. For most practical purposes, "ethos" = "control by religion".

Tried to find a thumbs-down "no-thanks" button, but can't. I feel persecuted. Or something.

You could always try the ironic 'thanks' button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

because the government wouldn't let them to do otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

A non-denominational school probably wouldn't have any students :pac:

The "multi-denominational" refers to the children, not the curriculum. It means all denominations are welcome.

As they say on their website
    Are Educate Together schools anti-religious?
    Not at all. Our philosophy is multi-denominational. The idea is to provide a school environment in which the spiritual background of all children in respected whatever their viewpoint. Our Ethical Education Curriculum has a specific strand which educates children about the main religious faiths in the world (this includes non-theistic and humanist viewpoints). This programme aims to inform rather than instruct. It teaches children “about” religions rather than that one is “the right way to think”. Our school boards are not permitted to promote any particular faith. We feel that specific religious formation is the responsibility of parents and religious organisations outside school. Within the school we aim to ensure that no child has to be set apart as a result of their religion. However, to assist any group of parents who wish to do so, our school boards facilitate the organisation of voluntary doctrinal instruction classes outside school hours. Many parents with deep religious convictions choose our schools and find that their viewpoints are fully respected.

I went to an Educate Together primary school and it was wonderful. Though it might have contributed me being atheist so you probably seem them as the tool of the devil :p

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

As partly clarified above, students (including my daughter) learn about the religions of the world and there is no indoctrination whatsoever during the day. Instead of religious instruction they have a "learn together" program which emphasises respect and ethics. If students want to do communion etc they are accomodated in the school after regular hours.

You might also be interested to know that ET are working hard to build secondary schools, or rather to be allowed to do same at the moment. Patronage is the big problem and you can sign a petition to demand the government provide them here.

I'm involved with one of the working groups and it's coming together nicely.

Best,

John

Good work John. :)

In todays news: Church demands key role in new secondary schools

From the Churches pov:
    "Catholic schools are communities with a characteristic spirit that permeates all aspects of school life, and the notion that this could be confined to religious instruction classes is a grave misconception."
    ... i.e. The church require need more than a few random RE classes to indoctrinate the kids. Probably true given that the the catholic parents sure as hell aren't going to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Seen that headline today too.

Poor souls, the thought of losing their primary indoctrination system... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Church wrote: »
    "Catholic schools are communities with a characteristic spirit that permeates all aspects of school life, and the notion that this could be confined to religious instruction classes is a grave misconception."
    Good to see them avoid the E-word :)

robindch wrote: »
    Good to see them avoid the E-word :)
    Education? That's not their priority at all... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Bemused wrote: »

You might also be interested to know that ET are working hard to build secondary schools, or rather to be allowed to do same at the moment. Patronage is the big problem and you can sign a petition to demand the government provide them here.

I'm involved with one of the working groups and it's coming together nicely.

Best,

John

i hope what you saying is your working to get rid of the patron scheme entirely, and for the gov to take direct responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement