Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc (Honours) in Software Systems

Options
  • 29-08-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I'm given serious to applying to do this course part time.
    Has anyone on here done this course? How did you find it? How intense is the Maths aspect. Did my Leaving Cert. 5 years ago and haven't done much Maths since. I'm a bit worried about that aspect.
    Any comments about this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

littlejp wrote: »
    I'm given serious to applying to do this course part time.
    Has anyone on here done this course? How did you find it? How intense is the Maths aspect. Did my Leaving Cert. 5 years ago and haven't done much Maths since. I'm a bit worried about that aspect.
    Any comments about this would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm going into my final year of software systems. Maths was fine, not too difficult. I am a mature student, and started this degree 7 years after I did my ordinary leaving cert maths. I did no study whatsoever in those 7 years. I got high marks in both semesters of maths.
    Overall I recommend this course if software development is something you are interested in.
    I just completed my work placement (3rd year) and ended up getting offered a full time job. I am returning to complete my 4th year as an evening student. Should be interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Monk-TF2

Hi, I am doing the course as well and I would recommended it. You need to keep on the Maths but it is all taught to you. Not too difficult.

I am currently entering 3 year of the course and am curious about the Work Placement. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

Basically, you can choose your own work placement if you wish, otherwise the college will set up interviews with companies who previously provided places for students. It lasts for 6 months, and you are required to fill in a diary, detailing what you did for each day, and then a summary for the week / month.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Thanks for the feedback. I applied for the part time course after misreading the fees. I thought they were covered by the Free Fees Initiative. Turns out its €3700 a year. Pulled out of this year. Will consider it again next year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Unfortunately only full time undergraduate courses are covered by the free fees initiative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Yeah. I know that now. The way things stand I'd be better off, quitting work, getting a part time job and doing the course full-time. I wouldn't have to pay fees and I'd qualify for a grant.
    Won't be doing anything til next September now.

Advertisement