Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums for music practical

Options
  • 29-08-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Just started damned 5th year :(

Anyway, has anyone here played drums for the HL Music practical. I have no idea what variety of stuff to play, anyone able to lend some suggestions? Need three pieces and requirements are they must be contrasting (I think)

Will be able to get someone to jam along on guitar if nessecary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

JAZZJAZZJAZZ would be an idea, syllabus says nothing much about drums.

But some pretty technical Jazz or something would probably go down well, I doubt double kick would go down too well with examiners :P

Well, even though I dont do music for the LC (i did for about 4 months but 9 subjects is a bit too much) id say stay well away from anything metally doubt examiners would go for it no matter how impressive it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I was thinking jazz, never played much of it though......

Yeah unfortunately ill have to avoid metal i'd say :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I was thinking jazz, never played much of it though......

Yeah unfortunately ill have to avoid metal i'd say :(

Think about it, you have the guts of 2 years to learn 3 pieces, give it a shot :D

itll also improve your drumming and get you hooked on lovely jazz:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Just started damned 5th year :(

Anyway, has anyone here played drums for the HL Music practical. I have no idea what variety of stuff to play, anyone able to lend some suggestions? Need three pieces and requirements are they must be contrasting (I think)

Will be able to get someone to jam along on guitar if nessecary

I'm on 6th year and there are two guys in my class playing the drums, one is amazing and does grades, he just did grade 7. He can play jazz and stuff so he's grand, but I'm pretty sure he's playing other stuff as well because he loves metal. The other guy only listens to metal so I think you can see where that's going.

If you're in a band you can play with them so just getting someone to play guitar with would be no problem.

The only other thing I know is that instead of sight reading, I think my teacher said you are asked to play in a certain mood, eg, happy, angry. I might have heard wrong though. You should ask your own teacher at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

I have a friend who did HL music last year and for his practical he did drums only. I can't remember exactly what he did, but I didn't see much variety in it and he still got a B I think.
    He definately played
    Moby Dick- Led Zepplin
    No One Knows- QOTSA

I think he did 1 jazz piece, but most of it was very rock orientated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thanks Jay_P, ill be sure to find out about the "mood playing" instead of sight reading

No one knows would not be a bad one, If I could get Moby Dick off a bit better i'd try it

Advertisement