Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin-Killarney by car

• 29-08-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I'm debating what route to take. Either:

via Limerick, taking the N7/N21 route

OR

via Mitchelstown, taking the N8/N72 route.

I'm thinking there's more completed motorway on the N8 route, so maybe there's time savings to be had here. But I'm not sure about the qualilty of the N21 or N72. Its a close call, no?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

the quality of the n21 is very good, you can get held up in castleisland though however as traffic is very congested there during rush hour. Probably take you a hour and a half to limerick from kilarney and another 2 and a half to dublin.

I have driven a lot of irish roads and the n21 is good. I live in limerick and the dublin bypass is easy to go through. The road to nenagh is decent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

D.L.R. wrote: »
    I'm debating what route to take. Either:

via Limerick, taking the N7/N21 route

OR

via Mitchelstown, taking the N8/N72 route.

I'm thinking there's more completed motorway on the N8 route, so maybe there's time savings to be had here. But I'm not sure about the qualilty of the N21 or N72. Its a close call, no?

Cheers.

Distance-wise, I'd take the N8 as far as Mitchelstown if I were you then the N73 to Mallow and go from there to Killarney.

The N8 is quite a good road now, and you'll go from Cashel to Mitchelstown in a jiffy.

The N73 is very narrow (no hard shoulder) and is bad because of this and a few dodgy bends. From Mallow to Killarney the road's not bad at all. Up to you.

Why don't you travel to Killarney one way and travel back to Dublin the other way just to see how they compare? You might let us know how you get on, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I drive to Killarney quite a bit, the road from Mitchelstown to Killarney via Mallow is awful so I always go to Limerick and down to Kerry.

I think even when they have the M8 finished, it won't be worthwhile to go that way to Killarney. Adare will be bypassed soon enough and after that, it's only a few towns that rarely take more than 15 mins to get through. Limerick to Killarney is usually 60-90 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

JayeL wrote: »
    I drive to Killarney quite a bit, the road from Mitchelstown to Killarney via Mallow is awful so I always go to Limerick and down to kerry

On second thoughts, you're right: the N73 is awful, and is best avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'd go via Limerick. Dub-Limerick is painless and the rest isn't too bad apart from Castleisland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i live fairly near to mallow and have tended to go to Dublin via Limerick to avoid the N73 as it is truly the pits ,even though its 10 miles further for me it was slightley quicker.However the Mitchelstown bypass and the new Mitch to Cashel section has thrown the balance the other way. I will revert to Limnerick again I think when the M7 is starting to be opened...

So I'd say go via Limerick to Killarney but beware of the Nenagh roadworks at the mo as they can cause holdups and there is a looooong section of speed speed limit about 17 km i think!

Advertisement