Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the Cork SRR built?

• 29-08-2008 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

There's no wiki page on the route. I was just wondering: was it built all in one go, or in stages?

Any information is appreciated.

While I'm at it, when was the N8 from Dunkettle to Glanmire built? I just notice that all the trees and shrubs along the edges of the DC are mature, but I'm wondering why the road was built so bendily, and when. Does anyone remember?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Chris is the man to go to i bet to for detailed info on this :

afaik the N25 part of the Ballincollig bypass is the newest part opened recently in 2005?, the section from the tunnel to the N28 Interchange opened with the Tunnel in 1999 and from the N28 Junction to the Bandon Roundabout were opened in sections during the early & mid 1990s.

You can certainly tell, apart from the roundabouts plonked in the middle of it, how the SRRs piecemeal nature is the reason why Waterford & Limerick have got bypasses built as one or two projects with consistent standards and not in a piecemeal fashion. Going from Ballincollig to the Tunnel you go from HQDC, DC & 2&2 its pretty goddamn inconsisent for what is a relatively short road anyway, very annoying to drive.

N8 Dunkettle to Glanmire im not sure of but guess it was also during the mid late 1990s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Here was me thinking the curves was because they had to navigate through the southside of the city. Like the area was already built up as opposed to the Limerick SRR which was built outside the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The oldest bit, as far a I'm aware, is the bit from the Kinsale rounabout to Douglas. 1990 or thereabouts I'd say.

Kinsale roundabout to Bishopstown is from about 1995 I'd say and the bit to the tunnel 1999.

The N8 Watergrasshill to Dunkettle is bendy because it is coming down a fairly steep slope. It's an impressive bit of road, I think. Mid 1990s it was built I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Furet wrote: »
    There's no wiki page on the route. I was just wondering: was it built all in one go, or in stages?

1. Kinsale Road - South Douglas Road: approximately 1985-1989 including from the dump to the Kinsale Road Roundabout. Direct works.
    2. South Douglas Road - North Douglas Road. Soon after.
    3. Glanmire Bypass. 1991/2
    4. North Douglas Road - Rochestown Road
    5. Rochestown Road - Dunkettle
    6. Kinsale Road - Sarsfield Road
    7. Sarsfield Road - Bandon Road
    8. Ballincollig Bypass
    9. Bandon Road - Ballincollig Bypass
    10. Kinsale Road Roundabout and Kinsale Road-Poualaduff Road upgrade.
    While I'm at it, when was the N8 from Dunkettle to Glanmire built? I just notice that all the trees and shrubs along the edges of the DC are mature, but I'm wondering why the road was built so bendily, and when. Does anyone remember?
    It opened during the summer of 1991 or 1992 - I think 1991.

In designing a route from Dunkettle north, they didn't want to go through the Dunkettle River valley, so they went further east, also avoiding Dunkettle House

Advertisement