Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are the Motors>Motors mods too Lock happy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    but a huge number of BMW drivers seem to use boards, it'd be great to send them somewhere. ;)

Every second thread seems to be about a 3 series.

I know, what's the world coming to when a popular car is being discussed in a motors forum? Maybe BMW get discussed a lot, but there is also a disproportionate hatred of the brand and its owners.

Anyway - I do think that topics are locked relatively quickly. Going off topic should not be an instant thread lock, especially if the OP is happy with the way the thread is going. Replying to old topics is a bug bear for some people, but doesn't bother me at all, once the topic is still relevant.

Finally - whinging about being on a "high horse" is a tad annoying. Sometimes calling someone out for driving like a prick is not being on the high horse, it's letting someone know that they are driving like a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This thread and/or sandwich about to bit the dust: vote quickly
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    And who am I, your humble servant m'lord, to decide what is dodgy and what is acceptable to the King! ...And for my lord I will humbly pray...! :D:D:D I'm watching too much of The Tudors...

Are you drunk??? If so see my sig!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

No: not enough mod control : too many threads out of control
    ninty9er wrote: »
    I think that's what this thread is about and why it was left open.

Yeah, this is one of those moments like, "let the monkeys run around there for a while and see what they come up with, you never know what they might be able to knock together, we might even be able to get a patent for it"!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It's like that moment in WW1 when the two armies downed weapons and started playing football an singin Silent Night! :eek::eek::eek:

Onkle wrote: »
    Are you drunk??? If so see my sig!!

Haha, confidently in control here! :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

And who am I, your humble servant m'lord, to decide what is dodgy and what is acceptable to the King! ...And for my lord I will humbly pray...! :D:D:D I'm watching too much of The Tudors...

Well ..you either report the post and help with the moderation of this forum ...or you decide not to, but then you have no right to complain either.

You certainly don't (like you did) post in the dodgy thread several times and then come here giving out stink that it was left open for too long...mmmkay?

And in case this was too subtle for you ...this is a warning to stop stirring it and participate in this thread constructively instead ...otherwise you will have to log out for a week to read here:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

peasant wrote: »
    And in case this was too subtle for you ...this is a warning to stop stirring it and participate in this thread constructively instead ...otherwise you will have to log out for a week to read here:D

With all due respect to you Peasant, and I do appreciate the work you do here, I'm wondering if it's possibly your "tone of voice" that's drawing this flack?

Something about the sentence above made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, and while I have no opinion about whether you're right or not, I felt an instant need to stand up and defend Darragh!

It happens relatively often, and I've wondered if it was my internal "fight the power" voice (i.e. is it just me?) or if there was actually an issue with what was being said/threatened...

I've never mentioned it before, as I didn't have the outlet, but does anyone else in this thread know what I'm talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

AudiChris wrote: »
    With all due respect to you Peasant, and I do appreciate the work you do here, I'm wondering if it's possibly your "tone of voice" that's drawing this flack?

Something about the sentence above made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, and while I have no opinion about whether you're right or not, I felt an instant need to stand up and defend Darragh!

It happens relatively often, and I've wondered if it was my internal "fight the power" voice (i.e. is it just me?) or if there was actually an issue with what was being said/threatened...

I've never mentioned it before, as I didn't have the outlet, but does anyone else in this thread know what I'm talking about?

+1

I'm relatively new around here and I find this mod to be totally different from the others (I'm not saying he is rude or anything), locking perfectly good threads etc etc. Very strange behaviour.

Well I'm done with the discussion on this thread as per above. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Ban me and do me a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In all fairness, you make complaints about lack of moderation on threads which you may have a problem with, or you see a clear breach of charter, but you refuse to use the report function to draw a mods attention to it. Not trying to stir anything here, just agreeing with Peasants stance.
    EDIT: Just a little bit to add, in relation to
    who am I, your humble servant m'lord, to decide what is dodgy and what is acceptable to the King!
    , reporting something doesn't necessarily mean someone's going to get banned/infracted or whatever, it's one users opinion on a post, which a mod then considers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Well I'm done with the discussion on this thread as per above. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Ban me and do me a favour.
    If you asked that in any other top forum it'd actually happen.

chill out a bit dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've never mentioned it before, as I didn't have the outlet ...

Thanks for that, AudiChris ...you most likely have a point there.

If you knew me personally, then you'd know that im anything but nasty or vindictive (or whatever my remarks may make me sound like) ...but as I seem to have "brushed people the wrong way" on other fora as well (also in a non-mod function), there obviously must be something in my posting style that created that reaction.

Personally I'd like to think that I'm funny ...but obviously not so.

I will take this on board and try and adopt a more neutral style.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

You could be correct if it was not warranted. You say you have no opinion on it but you just posted one anyway. Darraghs posts both here and on the locked thread were more akin to trolling than reasoned debate.

Sometimes I think that threads get locked when they shouldn’t. The BMW mini thread is a prime example. Was it locked because of the content of the OP or what followed? The undesirable content of the OP could have been edited. The poster didn’t get much help with her problem which kinda defeats the purpose of the forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hammertime wrote: »
    +1

I'm relatively new around here and I find this mod to be totally different from the others (I'm not saying he is rude or anything), locking perfectly good threads etc etc. Very strange behaviour.

I hope you never have reason to meet Karoma or *********(mord) then.

Motors is still lightly moderated in comparison to most of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

SteveC wrote: »
    I hope you never have reason to meet Karoma or *********(mord) then.

Motors is still lightly moderated in comparison to most of boards.

Maybe so, I've been around boards a fair bot and I have never seen as much needless thread locking as on Motors.

Anyway I'm not here to slag of the mods who give their time to keep things ticking over. I was just saying it as i saw it as a new comer to motors.

Who's taking the piss? Two 3 year old threads have just been bumped by first time posters.... Is somebody trying to prove a point?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=261309

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281095

If you knew me personally, then you'd know that im anything but nasty or vindictive (or whatever my remarks may make me sound like) ...but as I seem to have "brushed people the wrong way" on other fora as well (also in a non-mod function), there obviously must be something in my posting style that created that reaction.

Some peoples humour is another persons snide remark - you can't please 'em all.

Something I'd love to see site-wide is when people like yourself comment in an 'official' capacity that there is some indication of such.

One of the PI mods does this and has in his sig "If I'm posting in bold then you have been". That way there is no ambiguity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think what is called for is more transparent moderation in here. If a post is judged worthy of deletion then maybe the mod involved can disclose the reasons better than is currently done if possible and so that any curiosity for the reasoning can be dealt with. If anyone disagrees then there is the PM function and also feedback so that it can be handled better.

However, by and large, I don't think threads are locked unnecessarily. We are only human and I guess we may make mistakes but whilst we do try and keep it relaxed we do try and err on the side of caution where its necessary. I'm sure the admins could do without another legal writ from various dealers or whoever (bearing in mind that one dealer in the Lucan area also threatened legal action despite them being entirely in the wrong). It will depend on the moderator and also on the content of the actual discussion and sometimes we are also advised to lock them. However, as I said, if you disagree then you can still PM the mod involved.

As for the stickies, people will want more and more and then the next discussion will be about how there are too many! What are we to do???

Anyhow, I'm tired and fancy some so I'm off to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fwiw, a few comments.

1. I think the Motors forum is the best moderated of all on boards - although, that doesn't make it perfect - but it's good, nonetheless. Some of the others are absolutely frightfull. I don't think the Feedback one is any use - most comments in Motors need a Motors context.

2. I don't think digging up an old thread automatically qualifies it for locking - most advice is for people to use the (absolutely awful, useless, confusing, and optimistically-titled) 'Search' function. What's the point of that if, when you find the thread in question, and 'unearth' it, that by posting in it (rather than starting a new one...) that you get hammered by all and sundry. You might as well delete the search function and archive. Well, the search one at any rate.....:rolleyes:

3. I do not understand, for similar reasons, why 'foglight/penalty points' etc threads get locked. If you post a new thread on the same question, you get locked. If you dig up the old thread......it's already locked....so, what to do.........go somewhere else (and leave Boards........) what's the sense in that? The purpose of a forum is discussion. If we just want to read.........we can buy the FT.

This attitude of mixed signals also presumes that Boards will never get/want any new users........we weren't all here on Day 1 you know.......so how do new people get started?

4. Some people do get carried away..........and remarkably in one case, a whole bunch of people were PM'd with, basically, insults, both personal and to Boards in general.....I received one of them, from a person I've never corresponded with in my life.......and lo an behold, after a short while, they're all back and sheepish, as if nothing ever happened........now that, definately, deserves a MF ban......

5. Regarding 'naming and shaming' of garages/whatever etc - I don't understand Boards' ultra defensive stance. (e.g. I have no idea what the MCD sticky is about...it doesn't even explain...itself !!...that's been there long before I found boards......). Defamation or libel can only take place where the claim is untrue. If it's factual, then there is no issue, no matter how bad the taste of it. Having said that, and I look forward to someone explaining it, how exactly is boards liable for claims made on it - the claims (for good or ill) - are not written by boards, but by the individuals........

6. Don't fracture the Motors forum by creating any more sub-fora than there are - to further subdivide it would be counter productive, and render any one section incredibly monotonous......3-series or no 3-series........shudder :P

7. I agree, the Classic section is totally............Mild !! :D That's a ++, btw...

8. I'm sure there's more, but damned if I can think of it now !:D

In general ++11 to Motors, and to informed contributors. E92 has done more this year than the Dept Environment, Transport and Revenue combined.to educate the public this year on their 'chosen subject'......goes to show what a bunch of tossers they are............oooer, will that get me a snip/ban/lock/:eek: :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You could be correct if it was not warranted. You say you have no opinion on it but you just posted one anyway.

I read...

...and I saw someone who was being a bit smart (probably in a good way), laughing it off and putting smileys in.
    If someone were in front of me and said that, it would be their tone-of-voice and the sparkle in their eyes that told me whether they were being mildly cheeky and self-deprecating or whether they were being properly antagonistic and smart-arsed.

It's hard to tell that online, and it wasn't aimed at me anyway, so when I saw Peasant give Darragh a warning I said...
    ...and while I have no opinion about whether you're right or not...

...to distance myself from both Darragh's post and Peasant's response to it.
    I was addressing Peasant's tone-of-voice as I interpreted it, rather than who he was saying it to or why.

Sometimes I think that threads get locked when they shouldn’t. The BMW mini thread is a prime example. Was it locked because of the content of the OP or what followed? The undesirable content of the OP could have been edited. The poster didn’t get much help with her problem which kinda defeats the purpose of the forum.

If you're talking about the thread I'm thinking about, the first post had the name of the dealer in it and then a load of unsubstantiated accusations in it.
    If I were a mod, I wouldn't have locked it. Rather, I would have <snip>'d the references to the particular garage from it and advised the OP of the issue. That way people can go about giving advice, but boards.ie don't expose themselves to a lawsuit.

People should know better than to go on a public forum and directly accuse somebody of something. It's been in the press enough at this point to know that the accuser is less likely to face legal repercussion than the service that hosts and internationally publishes the accusation.

From your "normal" posts you seem like a great guy - anyone who drives a VW Camper has to be quirky (but nice) :p.

It was merely an observation on your disciplinarian posts, and not one that I presumed others would share.

In all fairness, you make complaints about lack of moderation on threads which you may have a problem with, or you see a clear breach of charter, but you refuse to use the report function to draw a mods attention to it. Not trying to stir anything here, just agreeing with Peasants stance.

The problem arises for me because the substance of that particular thread, I happened to be very interested in. I work in an industry where no matter what I do, people will not accept basic fundamentals such as "parts + labour + VAT = your invoice". As a professional in the industry, I personally feel sick at some threads I see being started here. Some people, despite them driving expensive cars that they have invested in so that they can be seen to be driving an expensive car, at the first sign of a problem with the vehicle, come on here literally crying that they have been told that it costs big money to put that car back on the road and start screaming rip off at the top of their voices and naming businesses. I wouldn't buy a car from a high marque main dealer unless I had the extra money that would be required to maintain that car if/when it starts causing problems.

What completely ruined the discussion for me, was, that that particular discussion was completely doomed to be locked because the OP had in the first sentence of the original post, dragged the name of the service provider into it, thereby clearly breaching the charter, which was obviously allowed to happen. Now apparently it's my fault for not blowing the whistle earlier.

If that had been properly managed, we would still be able to discuss the merits or otherwise of her argument, which to me is what boards.ie and more importantly this particular thread is all about, discussion and exchange of views as opposed to being shut down and chased from a robust discussion. I know that I'll get shut down in a minute here if I dare deviate to the smallest degree from a discussion on this forum. If we have a look at previous threads where businesses were mentioned, you'll see absolutely no urgency in shutting these down immediately. If you look at other threads that were locked, you'll see them shut down on the basis of what really has been a difference of opinion with a Mod. I'm not trying to stir up the sh*t as alleged. These are just my views as a user of the forum...

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    2. I don't think digging up an old thread automatically qualifies it for locking - most advice is for people to use the (absolutely awful, useless, confusing, and optimistically-titled) 'Search' function. What's the point of that if, when you find the thread in question, and 'unearth' it, that by posting in it (rather than starting a new one...) that you get hammered by all and sundry. You might as well delete the search function and archive. Well, the search one at any rate.....:rolleyes:

3. I do not understand, for similar reasons, why 'foglight/penalty points' etc threads get locked. If you post a new thread on the same question, you get locked. If you dig up the old thread......it's already locked....so, what to do.........go somewhere else (and leave Boards........) what's the sense in that? The purpose of a forum is discussion. If we just want to read.........we can buy the FT.

This attitude of mixed signals also presumes that Boards will never get/want any new users........we weren't all here on Day 1 you know.......so how do new people get started?

Both very good points. I think the "don't resurrect old threads" rule is more to stop spamming or trolling rather than to make people start new threads - if the comment belongs to that thread and adds to the discourse, no matter when that thread was started, then let it be!

With regard to the "Fog Lights etc." threads, the first thing I did when I came here was read the charter, and anyone who joins in should do the same.
    If you have something new to add to the Fog Light debate, then it should be hashed out, but the whole Fog Light/Overtaking Lane/Speed Traps on the N11 thing has been done to death.
    4. Some people do get carried away..........and remarkably in one case, a whole bunch of people were PM'd with, basically, insults, both personal and to Boards in general.....I received one of them, from a person I've never corresponded with in my life.......and lo an behold, after a short while, they're all back and sheepish, as if nothing ever happened........now that, definately, deserves a MF ban......

Personal insults should never be tolerated and all should be in agreement before the insulters are let back in. That being said, it's hard to stop the insulter creating a new profile and starting all over again...

5. Regarding 'naming and shaming' of garages/whatever etc - I don't understand Boards' ultra defensive stance. (e.g. I have no idea what the MCD sticky is about...it doesn't even explain...itself !!...that's been there long before I found boards......). Defamation or libel can only take place where the claim is untrue. If it's factual, then there is no issue, no matter how bad the taste of it. Having said that, and I look forward to someone explaining it, how exactly is boards liable for claims made on it - the claims (for good or ill) - are not written by boards, but by the individuals........

I've no idea about MCD, but it's not a big deal to say "this is what happened, what should I do?" without naming the specific garage. Legally/morally the replies will be the same either way.
    6. Don't fracture the Motors forum by creating any more sub-fora than there are - to further subdivide it would be counter productive, and render any one section incredibly monotonous......3-series or no 3-series........shudder :P

+1
    In general ++11 to Motors, and to informed contributors. E92 has done more this year than the Dept Environment, Transport and Revenue combined.to educate the public this year on their 'chosen subject'......goes to show what a bunch of tossers they are............oooer, will that get me a snip/ban/lock/:eek: :eek:

I keep reading threads and thinking "E92 would have this analysed in a second", but he never materialises. If the cost of this manner of moderation is people like E92, then the moderation needs to change (and all mods have already conceded to look at this, so I don't mean it as another dig).

The problem arises for me because the substance of that particular thread, I happened to be very interested in. I work in an industry where no matter what I do, people will not accept basic fundamentals such as "parts + labour + VAT = your invoice". As a professional in the industry, I personally feel sick at some threads I see being started here. Some people, despite them driving expensive cars that they have invested in so that they can be seen to be driving an expensive car, at the first sign of a problem with the vehicle, come on here literally crying that they have been told that it costs big money to put that car back on the road and start screaming rip off at the top of their voices and naming businesses. I wouldn't buy a car from a high marque main dealer unless I had the extra money that would be required to maintain that car if/when it starts causing problems.

When I ask my boss to help me value a big car like a CL500 or an S Class that's more than a few years old, I normally get a pretty poor value; not because the cars aren't worth it, but because of the risk - "big cars equal big bills if something goes wrong".

I completely agree with this point - if you buy a €50,000 car, you can't have the same running-cost expectations as if you had bought a €10,000 car. It's a different level of technology and (hopefully) it's a different level of service. But you'll pay for both!
    What completely ruined the discussion for me, was, that that particular discussion was completely doomed to be locked because the OP had in the first sentence of the original post, dragged the name of the service provider into it, thereby clearly breaching the charter, which was obviously allowed to happen. Now apparently it's my fault for not blowing the whistle earlier.

If that had been properly managed, we would still be able to discuss the merits or otherwise of her argument, which to me is what boards.ie and more importantly this particular thread is all about, discussion and exchange of views as opposed to being shut down and chased from a robust discussion. I know that I'll get shut down in a minute here if I dare deviate to the smallest degree from a discussion on this forum. If we have a look at previous threads where businesses were mentioned, you'll see absolutely no urgency in shutting these down immediately. If you look at other threads that were locked, you'll see them shut down on the basis of what really has been a difference of opinion with a Mod. I'm not trying to stir up the sh*t as alleged. These are just my views as a user of the forum...

Again, I agree - <snip> the business's details or shut the thread, but it should be as instantaneous as possible and everyone should know why it's done so it doesn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I still think we need an enthusiasts section to keep the complainers happy and to keep the petrol heads from getting bored and leaving. No point in a motors thread if the petrol heads don't frequent it.
    Half the off topic threads have gone off topic by people who start an arguement (discussion) about the pro's and con's of a particular brand, which they're only venting anger for because it should be discussed in the day-to-day posts anyway and isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I suggest a vigilante group:pac::pac:

If someone starts on about brand x or model y....start them a new thread and post a link to it in the thread that's been derailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you have something new to add to the Fog Light debate, then it should be hashed out, but the whole Fog Light/Overtaking Lane/Speed Traps on the N11 thing has been done to death.
    . Indeed, I'm just trying to figure out how........mind you, I don't have 'Fog' lights, don't live near a dual carriageway or motorway, don't know where the N11 is, and you won't find speed traps on R roads...... ;) There is llife, strange and all as that may seem, outside the Pale/M50 :rolleyes: ;)
    I've no idea about MCD, but it's not a big deal to say "this is what happened, what should I do?" without naming the specific garage.

Fair enough, for pure 'opinion' cases......
    .... If the cost of this manner of moderation is people like E92, then the moderation needs to change ..
    Indeed, we should always encourage contribution.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

On topic:
    peasant locks way too many threads and is a bit over sensitive
    unkle has locked a few too many
    kbannon doesn't noticeably lock threads

OFF topic:
    there should be a bmw technical sub forum - google seems to land a lot of people here rather than bmw-driver.net etc

resurrection of old threads - these should be considered on merit - i've seen unkle in particular lock a few just cos they are old. blanket locking is not appropriate

I have also noticed a few regular posters have disappeared or severely curtailed their posting

VH wrote: »

I have also noticed a few regular posters have disappeared or severely curtailed their posting

That's just natural progression

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

VH wrote: »
    OFF topic:
    there should be a bmw technical sub forum - google seems to land a lot of people here rather than bmw-driver.net etc
    Now there's a sticky we could have:

links to specific model technical sites-
    www.opelownersclubireland.com
    www.fto-ireland.com
    www.bmw-driver.net

to name a few and people could be pointed at the sticky and their thread deleted if it's been done 500 times before?

ninty9er wrote: »
    Now there's a sticky we could have:

links to specific model technical sites-
    www.opelownersclubireland.com
    www.fto-ireland.com
    www.bmw-driver.net

...and the AA petrol prices website, the "how tyres work" website, the penalty points website, the ROTR website....

I think a sticky of FAQ/frequently needed links would go down a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Onkle wrote: »
    That's just natural progression
    a few too many - ned78 and e92 have already said they have cut back - markn, matt simis and jhmeg have also recently disappeared

Advertisement