Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are the Motors>Motors mods too Lock happy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

No: not enough mod control : too many threads out of control
    VH wrote: »
    In fairness to you there are mods - more senior mods - that side swipe the profanity filter regularly - you 3 don't do it really. i'd be in favour if banning people for use of bad language - full stop, and never mind context - fcuk etc included - more family friendly and less rant friendly

EDIT: bad language is a boards wide thing - nothing to stop ye from being pioneers in clearing it up tho
    Profanity limits appeal - it's up to the powers that be to decide which is preferable

I think most of us who use cuss words occasionally in our posts know where to draw the line. For example a few 'fcuks' and 'sihtes' are OK (IMO) but 'cnuts' is taking things a bit too far. Women in particular HATE this word although twentymajor uses it to good effect on a regular basis!

The zero tolerance approach to profanity would piss me off ...sorry...make me 'incandescent with rage'. Those pious, puritanical attitudes drive me nuts. To me it's a form of censorship. As long as we don't become completely vulgar why should we have to change the natural way we (and most Irish people) express ourselves? 'Family friendly?' Pffftttt:rolleyes:! Kids will hear much worse in the playground or amongst their friends. I don't think the 'Motors' forum on Boards is a place for kids anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

still no excuse imo

unkel wrote: »
    So why post about it here? Maybe you should take that up with those "more senior mods" either directly with them via PM or in the feedback forum
    oh no, not the "take it to feedback" card!

in context - hard for you junior mods to take a stance when senior mods dont give a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

This thread and/or sandwich about to bit the dust: vote quickly
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Profanity is a part of everyday life in this country...not in others. We're a laid back nation that knows better than to take it too seriously and I hope our mods fit this national trend.

As previously pointed out, if you're going to allow your kids use the forum, thenscreen it first.

I hate that argument "Its an Irish thing, you wouldnt understand," I'm Irish and yes I use profanities but there is a time and a place. I quickly find myself losing respect for somebody that has to punctuate every sentance with fcuks and bo11ox. Using it within reason is OK like
    "My flucking car broke down again" is grand but "Flucking Fiats are all Sh1te" is inciteful and just gets peoples back up. Excessive cursing should get a warning not an edit, the offending poster should do that themselves.

There are a lot more locked threads, less seasoned petrolheads but also less trolls, take what you want from that. personally I love reading OT threads because there is generally a good debate going. If it then gets locked its frutrating. Also by the time it gets OT there is generally an answer or two to the OPs question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

eoin_s wrote: »
    Tough titties really. Nobody should think they're above a ban (c-mods etc being the obvious exclusion). A good contributer may get one more warning than a n00b who signs up to flame, but that should be about it.

What's a c-mod ?
    And whatever it is, why can't they be banned - iow, who polices.......the police ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

galwaytt wrote: »
    What's a c-mod ?
    And whatever it is, why can't they be banned - iow, who polices.......the police ?

coastguard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What's a c-mod ?

C-Mod is a category mod...(i.e. everything in the rec dropdown list or the soc dropdown list etc)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What's a c-mod ?
    pecking order.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Category_Moderator

(edit: lol at the google ad that that page attracts :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I hate to say it, but Mods on this forum I think have an uncanny resemblance with your typical Irish bouncer. We've all been there I think... Power for the sake of power, the only difference I think is that bouncers are now actually accountable to someone!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but Mods on this forum I think have an uncanny resemblance with your typical Irish bouncer. We've all been there I think... Power for the sake of power, the only difference I think is that bouncers are now actually accountable to someone!
    Jebus H.
    If you disagree with a mod or a modding policy then you can go to feedback - the normal channel. It was the users who decided to keep this thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What's with locking threads just because a number of similar, but distinctive ones come about. I pm'd a certain mod who closed a thread for no other reason than it was a "no googling" thread, he may be offline, but the thread shouldn't have been closed in the first place imo.

kbannon wrote: »
    Jebus H.
    If you disagree with a mod or a modding policy then you can go to feedback - the normal channel. It was the users who decided to keep this thread here.
    kb, the feedback card is getting old hat - seriously - this thread exists because fb doesnt work

What's with locking threads just because a number of similar, but distinctive ones come about. I pm'd a certain mod who closed a thread for no other reason than it was a "no googling" thread, he may be offline, but the thread shouldn't have been closed in the first place imo.
    +1

so did I and I got accussed of all sorts of things by said mods.

+1

And I actually had something solid and factual to contribute with 100% certainty for once:eek::eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kb, the feedback card is getting old hat - seriously.
    What do you suggest? You don't like the way things are done and don't like any of the channels available to you to remedy things.
    You were told that the thread was temporarily closed and would reopen but persisted in asking peasant to reopen it whilst feigning some concern for Colm.
    +1

Are you referring to what I PMed you? If so, then I don't think there was anything accusatory there!

You were told that the thread was temporarily closed and would reopen

Do we have road works on the internet now? What's the point of closing a thread "temporarily" if it's going to be re-opened?

Honestly?:rolleyes:

And I actually had something solid and factual to contribute with 100% certainty for once:eek::eek:
    So did I - but not for once (I hope):eek:

Do we have road works on the internet now? What's the point of closing a thread "temporarily" if it's going to be re-opened?

Honestly?:rolleyes:
    Good point.

What do you suggest? You don't like the way things are done and don't like any of the channels available to you to remedy things.

Don't think Feedback is meant to remedy anything, being told to take it to Feedback is like being told, "No, not tonight make, stand aside from the door please"... Seriously guys, we're all sayin the same thing and you don't seem to be hearing it!

• Advertisement

As much as it pained me to hit that thanks button Darragh...it had to be done;)

Are you referring to what I PMed you? If so, then I don't think there was anything accusatory there!

"you do tend to come across quite antagonistic"

"I like your concern for the others. Seems more like you are stirring it up to me"

QED

we aren't 'all' saying the same thing, the mods have allowed this thread to stay open on the forum even though it is really a feedback thread. They had no need to do that and all they get is whinging and rolleyes?

Your post above Darragh that the mods aren't accountable to anyone is total BS. A helpdesk thread for any 'real' rather than whingy complaints would soon reveal that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't think Feedback is meant to remedy anything, being told to take it to Feedback is like being told, "No, not tonight make, stand aside from the door please"... Seriously guys, we're all sayin the same thing and you don't seem to be hearing it!
    In fairness, this thread wouldn't have got past the first page in feedback before it was locked.
    Fair play to the mods for keeping it here and listening to everyone.

Going to feedback doesn't work anymore.

copacetic wrote: »
    A helpdesk thread for any 'real' rather than whingy complaints would soon reveal that.
    Have you been on the helpdesk lately? I still can't believe SteveC hasn't been promoted to mod

Have you been on the helpdesk lately? SteveC is endlessly pimping for mod....
    Thats BS, I'm just pointing out how things work on boards.

Have you been on the helpdesk lately? I still can't believe SteveC hasn't been promoted to mod

don't understand any part of that post, even after your 3 edits.

copacetic wrote: »

Your post above Darragh that the mods aren't accountable to anyone is total BS. A helpdesk thread for any 'real' rather than whingy complaints would soon reveal that.

And who would decide what complaints/issues go in the "real issues" tray and what issues go in the "percieved to be real issues" tray at this imaginery help desk??? What I'm raising is what I believe to be a geunine lack of toleration of robust discussion and speaking down to contributors here who in fact make boards what it is. Please don't get me up on my soapbox at this hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Has this 'over moderation' interfered with the number posts you have in the motors section? does it make you less likely to post here?

• Advertisement

SteveC wrote: »
    In fairness, this thread wouldn't have got past the first page in feedback before it was locked.
    Fair play to the mods for keeping it here and listening to everyone.

Going to feedback doesn't work anymore.

Fair play to Mods for listening to what contributors here have got to say!?!?!?! Am I dreaming or am I down in the Tallaght tax office???

Advertisement