Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joe Duffy Motor

Options
  • 29-08-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Just wondering if anybody out there has ever had a bad experience with Joe Duffy Motors, Finglas, especially in the service sector?

Having a tough time with them at the moment and would not recommend anybody to go anywhere near them.

My mini started to overheat a few wks ago, so brought it straight into them, just in case it was the head gasket. But they told me no, it was just the thermostat housing that needed replacing which cost €344, majority of which was labour costs of course. The day after I got the car back, they rang me and said they needed to bring it back in cos a trainee mechanic was working on the car and put in the old screws for the thermostat and not the new ones. Odd,but got it sorted anyway.
    A week later it overheated again,worse this time, had to get the car towed to them. This time, after them completing several tests, they decided its the head gasket. Managed to negotiate them down to €1000 to repair it, again majority of which is labour.
    The car is still in with them now and I got a fone call two days ago to tell me that the engines cooling fan has now gone, and this was the original problem that affected the thermostat and then blew the gasket!! and now they are charging me an additional €500 to fix this.
    Their customer service is dire!! You have to chase and chase for answers and are generally lucky if you actually get through to service. Total cost of this including the thermostat is approx €2k! I don't know if the fan was the original default and they are just fobbing me off about the gasket, hard to know what to believe with these guys after the service I've received. You would think such a "reputable" garage would know whats wrong with a car when they examine it, but nope not these guys!!
    People, don't go near these guys if u wanna keep ur stress levels down and money in ur pocket lol, total rip off :-(
    Sorry for the rant lol!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Had really bad experience with them - know of plenty of other similar cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

lol, this has to be a windup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Roisindearg

They are a joke. And they went ahead and replaced the cooling fan without telling me too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They are a joke. And they went ahead and replaced the cooling fan without telling me too :mad:

Apparently there's some EU regulation that disallows them from giving a car back when it's not in a safe/roadworthy condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ninty9er wrote: »
    Apparently there's some EU regulation that disallows them from giving a car back when it's not in a safe/roadworthy condition.

Yeah, what regulation would that be???

Don't drive a car, get a bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

keep screwing the motorist, 1900 - 2300
    law kp at it
    sub paragraph 12345

I've absolutely no sympathy for anyone who buys from Joe Duffy. Who do you think is paying for all the radio advertising and the prime real estate 10 story building just off the M50??? ffs, cop on and don't come on here whinging when you've followed the other sheep with more money than you up to Joe Duffy. If your dealing with JD, a 2K repair bill shouldn't make you blink, after all you have bought a prestige car, don't you know???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Darragh29 wrote: »
    ffs, cop on and don't come on here whinging when you've followed the other sheep with more money than you up to Joe Duffy.quote]

The girls car has broken down. She doesnt want some clown telling her to cop on. Its reasonable for alot of people to take their car to a main dealer for a diagnosis. She is right to expect they would get it right first time. Shame on them for behaving like some going out of business back street garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

mickdw wrote: »
    ffs, cop on and don't come on here whinging when you've followed the other sheep with more money than you up to Joe Duffy.quote]

The girls car has broken down. She doesnt want some clown telling her to cop on. Its reasonable for alot of people to take their car to a main dealer for a diagnosis. She is right to expect they would get it right first time. Shame on them for behaving like some going out of business back street garage.

Nail on head

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I've absolutely no sympathy for anyone who buys from Joe Duffy.

What a snotty comment. If I buy an expensive car, I expect better than average service, not a rip-off. Go back and ask for the service manager, and say why you're not happy.

• Advertisement

I know some back street garages that you are slating above that would fire a mechanic for missing a defective radiator fan that caused a head gasket to go. The real reason they called her to bring her car back had nothing to do with "used" bolts and most likely everything to do with the fact that they themselves realised that they had not resolved the root cause of the problem. If she has the money to pay for an overpriced mini from JD, then I don't see any issue with the cost of repairing the above problem...

Hammertime wrote: »

Nail on head

;)

What? Who is going out of business? Im lost here

If she has the money to pay for an overpriced mini from JD...

then you think she's fair game?

You're a prime example of why women hate dealing with the motor trade, and feel they have to bring a man with them to deal with you gobsh!tes.

Zube wrote: »
    What a snotty comment. If I buy an expensive car, I expect better than average service, not a rip-off. Go back and ask for the service manager, and say why you're not happy.

If you pay more for an overpriced car, you will be paying more for overpriced parts and over priced labour. I imagine that people who pay for overpriced cars understand this.

I know some back street garages that you are slating above that would fire a mechanic for missing a defective radiator fan that caused a head gasket to go. The real reason they called her to bring her car back had nothing to do with "used" bolts and most likely everything to do with the fact that they themselves realised that they had not resolved the root cause of the problem. If she has the money to pay for an overpriced mini from JD, then I don't see any issue with the cost of repairing the above problem...

Yes the used bolts story is a red herring but I known of some backstreet mechanics who believe once the fan cuts in, it fine. Not having realised maybe 2 speed fan etc

Zube wrote: »
    then you think she's fair game?

You're a prime example of why women hate dealing with the motor trade, and feel they have to bring a man with them to deal with you gobsh!tes.

I don't think anyone is fair game. Looks like this is another thead that is soon for locking....

If you pay more for an overpriced car, you will be paying more for overpriced parts and over priced labour. I imagine that people who pay for overpriced cars understand this.

Check JD Power: People who buy Mercs expect flawless service because thay are paying for it. Any issues with dealers drags a marque way, way down.

People pay top dollar, they expect Lexus levels of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

thread locked for two reasons:

- the OP didn't post this in order to get attacked

- accusations against an established business are being made that are unfounded at best and could land boards in trouble

OP ...please talk to the service manager, point out the mistakes they made and negotiate the bill. They should not bill you for work that was wrongly diagnosed / unecessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement