Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good farrier and cost

Options
  • 29-08-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Wondering whats a fair price for quality farrier work and any recommendations if the moderator will allow that.

Thanks again,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

costs me eur70-80 every 4-5 weeks to shoe my guys. eur20 to trim the mares hooves, they're in foal and barefoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 giorgi

60 Euros fo a set of shoes on my three. good quality shoeing too i might add - never had any problems:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

;):):P:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Socos

Anyone recommend a good farrier in the Galway area. My current one is immigrating. feel free to PM me. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

Socos wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good farrier in the Galway area. My current one is immigrating. feel free to PM me. Thanks

I take it you mean emigrating?

• Advertisement

skink wrote: »
    I take it you mean emigrating?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

I have pm'd you

Thanks skink. Received your message.
    I think all the good farriers are very hard to get, so I am used to it.

thanks for all the help folks it is hard to find a good farrier and hard to know when it is too expensive. 80 euro seems very high would you all be happy to pat that.

needadvice wrote: »
    thanks for all the help folks it is hard to find a good farrier and hard to know when it is too expensive. 80 euro seems very high would you all be happy to pat that.

Yep, in my case i'm happy to part with it. i've got one of the best known farrier's in the country, and one of my horse's had trouble with his heels (navicular sympthoms) and only for my farrier, i wouldnt of had the sound horse i have for the past 5 years. so i'm happy

• Advertisement

Can you name him here

I wouldnt name him without his permission, i could ask him though next time he calls to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

€80 is a little bit of the expensive side but nothing out of the ordinary, i pay €65-€70, and depending on the work your doing you can leave shoes off the back hoofs at certain times

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Could anybody recommend a reliable farrier around the South Kildare area. Am having problems finding one who's reliable, and who'll turn up when he says (and not 2 weeks later!) He was even paid in advance at one stage in an attempt to try get him to be a little more reliable, but that didn't work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bip

I would Love someone to recommend a farrier in kildare too, anywhere near Naas. Have been dealing with the same farrier for a number of years who has a brilliant reputation but I'm beginning to wonder how. I pay €75 euro and my horses last shoes lasted three weeks before hind shoe came off. I was then charged thirty euro for him to come and put it back on, New shoe was too small and her whole hoof started to split. Ended up having to get her shod all round after a further 3 weeks. New shoes are too big and stud holes on one are completly out past the edge of her hoof! Hooves are in a terrible condition now despite using Keratex, tar and feeding biotin. Any suggestions for her feet would be gratefully accepted and of course a new farrier!
    P.S sorry for the rant! :)

Have sorted farrier out and very happy but not in Kildare. They are all listed on the web though try feeding biotin it does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Masiy12

Hi can anyone give me the name of a good ferrie in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I pay €70 for a normal set and €120 for remedial and am happy to pay it, farrier is brilliant and he travels a good bit to me - I've often thrown in a tenner for petrol if the job he came out to do wasn't worth his time (reset a lost shoe or just fronts etc)

Good farriers hard to find, I loathe paying someone even 50quid for a substandard set.

Can recommend for louth area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Wow, 70 quid! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

convert wrote: »
    Wow, 70 quid! :eek:

Do you know after years of trouble with various farriers, not turning up on time, not turning up at all, not returning calls/texts, beating horses, sloppy sets when capable of better, poor work in general to the detriment of the horse ... I am happy to pay it.

My last farrier wasn't bad but could only do weekends in this area, and just wasn't up to the standard the new one is - cold shoeing, he was charging €60.

This farrier, hot shoes, turns up on time, gives notice, does an excellent job, and on the occasion I needed 'urgent' jobs, came out next day (lame horse or thrown shoe before big competition etc)

He also worked wonders with a horse who was difficult to shoe, a horse that previously needed IV sedation for even cold shoeing (and fought it at that!!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement