Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car key reprogramming in Waterford?

• 29-08-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hiya all.

My dad decided to change the batteries in my car key while I was in Dublin and as a result the key stopped working.
    It does not switch the immobiliser off and start the ignition. I rang the Renault garage in Dublin and they gave me a code to use but I'd like to get the key sorted out anyway. They said it would cost me around £250.

I just found out that it could be done for 30-40 quid in a different garage but it's in Dublin.

Does anyone know where it's possible to reprogram the car key in Waterford by any chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Phsyche wrote: »
    Hiya all.

My dad decided to change the batteries in my car key while I was in Dublin and as a result the key stopped working.
    It does not switch the immobiliser off and start the ignition. I rang the Renault garage in Dublin and they gave me a code to use but I'd like to get the key sorted out anyway. They said it would cost me around £250.

I just found out that it could be done for 30-40 quid in a different garage but it's in Dublin.

Does anyone know where it's possible to reprogram the car key in Waterford by any chance?
    i do know that theres a key cutting place in clonmel that does it there across from the garda station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Hiya all.

Hi. I had a problem something similiar to yours! Basically the renult key cards are sh1t!! I droppeed mine on the floor and broke the microchip inside it! Like you it cost me €280 to get it fixed in renault!:mad:

I brought it out to renault and they told me that I would have to get a whole new keycard system because mine woukld not lock the doors and sometimes not start the engine! They said it would cost this price because they had to get the part from france and then reprogamme the car's memory with the new keycard!:eek:

I heard about doing this thing for 30-40 euro but to be honest I heard its rather risky because the cards are designed in such away that they cant be tampered with because their is a panel of electronics inside them! Also when they are done like this everything seems to work at first but I heard things go like the engine wont start and stuff so you would have to bring it to renault anyway to fix it!

Also did he put in the proper battery and if you shake the keycard can you hear a slight rattle inside???? The battery is easliy fixed but the rattling is serious! I peronally would go to renault because they know what to do and it will be a new keycard you will get instead of some fella drilling into the card and possibly damaging it!!

The choice is yours and sorry I dont know anyone in waterford that those them! If you require anymore details or help feel free to pm me!!!:)

EVERYONE ELSE BEWARE RENAULT KEYCARDS ARE NOT AS COOL AS THEY LOOK!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Also did he put in the proper battery and if you shake the keycard can you hear a slight rattle inside????

Nope. There's no rattling. When i press the button on the key the red light stays on for a long time and not for only a second like it used to. I'm just going to ring all the garages around Waterford.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

What's the model of your Renault?

It's '98 Renault Scenic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

You could try Derek Duggan in Railway Square, he's does a lot with electric's, not sure on your exact problem, but he would be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

It's '98 Renault Scenic.

I used to have a 1998 Renault Megane (saloon), and I bought an A4 piece of paper on eBay once, with instructions to program central locking blip keys on said cars (yes, I was ripped off and didn't read the auction properly, seemingly).

Anyway, if I can dig out the instructions I'll scan it and upload it for you. See if it helps. Won't be before midnight tonight though I'm afraid.

Thank you all for your help. I got the key in tha Renault garage at last. took them a week to get it from France and reprogramme it. Works fine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Thank you all for your help. I got the key in tha Renault garage at last. took them a week to get it from France and reprogramme it. Works fine now.

I thought that was the problem alright! Worst part was the price! Still about €300 ye??

164 + VAT

total came to 185. I expected it to be higher. Not complaining :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement