Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a Espana - Predictions?

Options
  • 29-08-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Starting tomorrow - Plenty of contenders and should be interesting to see

Sastre+CSC vs Conto+Astana very intersting although CSC is a fairly weakened one (no Schleck bro's, Jens, Cancellara etc.)

Have to go with bookies favourite and go for Contador - just hope it's close !

Sprinters comp will be interesting with Tom back in a grand tour...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Having a quick look at the teams, I reckon Contador will sail away with it -and I wouldn't be surprised to see another Astana guy on the podium as well.. the rest of the teams look pretty weak to be honest.

It sneaked up on us though, end of August already! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I'll have to go with Contador too and it's not even close. I think he'll be pissed at not being able able to defend his Tour title last month and looking to prove a point...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

SetOverSet wrote: »
    I'll have to go with Contador too and it's not even close. I think he'll be pissed at not being able able to defend his Tour title last month and looking to prove a point...

without even lookin at the start list, i stil gona go for contador, he wil be well above anybody else's level, and he wil have a v.strong team behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Contador!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

How come CSC are sending such a weak team? Looking at the odds Valverde probably a good bet at 11/1 e/w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

drogdub wrote: »
    How come CSC are sending such a weak team? Looking at the odds Valverde probably a good bet at 11/1 e/w

I suspect it's a combination of being wrecked after the tour (they did have to do a lot of work), and concentrating on other tours (Germany and Denmark -though I'm not sure when they're on).

I think 11/1 is generous for Valverde, but think he won't do it -Caisse D'Epargne were shocking in France, and can't see them doing much better in Spain...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Contador all the way. The only rider who can seriously threaten him his Sastre and he focussed on the Tour this year. Most of the other usual suspects for the Vuelta aren't around this year. I'm not sure if Valverde will mount a serious challenge, but if he does, he'll die a death on the likes of the Angliru. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cunego pulls out after ten days and simply uses it as training for the Worlds and Lombardia. The big, big dark horse is Robert Gesink.
    drogdub wrote: »
    How come CSC are sending such a weak team?

They're going after the Deutschland Tour.

Advertisement