Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The North - Another day another row!

Options
  • 29-08-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

What a Summer;- First there was Sinn Fein trying to celebrate convicted bomber 'Miread Farrell' on international Womens day in Stormont, then just last week we had Caoimhghin O Caolain threatening to pull Sinn Fein out of the Northern Ireland executive in a row over the transfer of policing powers from London to Belfast, & now we have Sinn Fein's Conor Murphy embroiled in another row with the First Minister due to 150 changes made by Mr Murphy to a document (after the document had been signed off)!

The Regional Development document had been passed by the Executive & the First Minister prior to the amendments made by Mr Murphy. not surprisingly the First Minister was annoyed at the very principle of amendments made 'after' its approval, apparently most of the changes revolved around changing the actual name of Northern Ireland to 'The North'. . . trivial maybe, but out of order? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7587728.stm

A storm in a tea Cup? It does seem to the outsider 'like me' that Sinn Fein are rattling peoples cages on a weekly basis, but why? and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The Provos are the sort of people who would go through a legal document changing "Northern Ireland" to "the North" 150 times.

Still, keeps them off the streets murdering people.

I dont think its a strategy as such, I think they simply are that tribalistic and petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Shouldn't the title be Northern Ireland another day another row?;)

its true though, as long as the idiots argue about this sort of thing, it stops them getting embroiled in more serious and potentially bloody arguements.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I deliberately used 'The North' because that is the wording in the dock as it were.

Personally, I always refer to 'Northern Ireland', I also notice that some Nationalists make a point of saying "The North of Ireland" and I do sometimes say 'I'm going up North' or are you going 'up North', which is all trivia really, But to think that Conor Murphy took the time & the trouble to make 150 changes :rolleyes:

I heard a woman on the radio the other day who said "she was driving from Belfast Up to Dublin" :confused:

Advertisement