Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Line Problem

Options
  • 29-08-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Well guys,
    Was just over in the parents house. They are just back from holidays and since they came home the house phones have not been working...but the strange thing is the Internet is fine. Its BT Broadband 2mb. Connects no problem. Its up to its full speed also. Anytime i pick up the house phone tho there is no dial tone...it will not make calls r receive them.
    Trouble shooting done so far..
    1...I removed all phones, filters and router from their sockets. I connect the house phone into the main socket (1st one that the outside wire meets) but no luck. Tried the broadband there and it connected and up to its full speed. I tried connecting a dsl filter into this and had the phone line split from that to the router and the other side to the phone. Still no dial tone, yet broadband was 100%.

2..To eliminate the phone itself being the problem, i brought over my phone, which i know is working 100% and connected it in...no luck. Therefore the phone itself is not the problem.

3.. I done a continuity check of all the wires in the house...they are all fine.i.e. no broken wires

4..Checked the voltage across the two wires (tip and ring).. about 48 volts D.C.

Anyone have any ideas?!! Is it possible to have DSL connection but yet have the phone not working?
    (there is no monitored alarm system)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Ring Eircom and report the fault..(Yes the dsl will work with one leg. which is handy as my phone line is constantly going but my voip works away..lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What you have to remember is that DSL is just 'hacked' onto the top of the existing voice network. It's not provided by your local telephone exchange like ISDN.

DSL signals are fed down the existing telephone lines by a device in your local exchange called a DSLAM. It's pretty much like an industrial version of a DSL modem. Each phone line that wants DSL is just patched into the DSLAM.

If your telephone service were to fail, due to a fault on the telephone exchange e.g. a faulty line card, your DSL service is completely separate and would continue to work perfectly.

Call eircom if you're still an eircom customer, otherwise call BT Ireland if your phone service is being provided by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Isnt it a pain that we have to pay for voice services rental to keep broadband on the line.. :mad: ...Why cant I kill my Eircom account and keep my magnet Broadband?... I cant see why we cant be Un bundled so to speak... We should alll mail comreg and ask them to look in to it..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should be able to get rid of the dial tone, but you'd still have to pay for the line to carry the broadband. In theory the line rental covers the upkeep of the line i.e. the wiring going to your home. Doesn't mean line rental's not a grossly over priced rip off though.

You should be able to ditch the voice service though and cut the dial tone if you like. Actually, you'd get more bandwidth out of the line potentially if you could use the voice frequencies too.

You should be able to get any combination of broadband and voice services though without any fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Thanks for the help guys...Im gonna Phone up BT tomorrow morning and get it sorted out as soon as possible. Hopefully they can locate the problem and get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement