Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Ting Ting Things

Options
  • 29-08-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

It seems to me The Ting Tings are one of those bands that will have grown men rolling in the streets baytin' the heads of each other when the discussion of whether they're any good or not comes up ....

Just to start the ball rolling , I think they're great.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭bedbugs

You're right. They are. One of those bands that I feel I should dislike, but I actually think they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

First time I heard them I nearly wanted to get sick.

I kinda see the charm with the them nowadays, and don't mind them too much.
    I like art/music that divides people, so even though sometimes they annoy the sh1t out of me, they're not boring everybody by being 'ok'.

Lead singer is rank though. And her sense of dress is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Last Angry Man

jtsuited wrote: »
    First time I heard them I nearly wanted to get sick.

I kinda see the charm with the them nowadays, and don't mind them too much.
    I like art/music that divides people, so even though sometimes they annoy the sh1t out of me, they're not boring everybody by being 'ok'.

Lead singer is rank though. And her sense of dress is appalling.

Not particularly constuctive but her head annoys me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

i like them... and generally i wouldn't ... :pac:

but i think they are great at what they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Interesting ........ I thought they'd be ripped to shreds around here. I see they're doing the VMAs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I found them very annoying at the start, but they've grown on me, thats not my name is very well put together song, shows what you can to with just two chords! the layering at the end is class...
    Thought the album is poor enough tho, plenty of filler on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the layering at the end is class...

that's what actually really annoyed me about that track. sort of lazy arrangement. in saying that, it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

jtsuited wrote: »
    that's what actually really annoyed me about that track. sort of lazy arrangement. in saying that, it works.

i think its great. kind of a slow

not the same live tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

seeing as everyone is being so nice.

They are the encapsulation of everything that is **** about music today. (Defiantly lowers Grateful Dead record onto truntable, lights spliff, turns on Lava Lamp.)

I just hate slightly piss-takey, tongue in cheek, postmoderny music that isn't really about anything, sung by people wearing plastic glasses and looking like they just fell out of the George Bernard Shaw.

Reason?

There's something so lazy about writing music that doesnt really attempt to appeal to anything deep in the listener, and yet also doesnt appeal to the brain by being funny or witty - instead it just cops out and says nothing at all - the lyrics are usually just stuff that sounds coolish over the music - the music is little more than some limp drum machine beats and a little reheated funk or slightly early-80's ish clatter - and yet you cant really accuse them of being 'crap' cause they arent even putting enough of themselves into the music for it to be embarassing.

Gimme a moon-faced singer-songwriter pining for lost love any day: He may be crap, but at least he's trying to mean something, if only to himself.

The Ting Tings are to real music what Graphic Design is to real art: All thats needed is to be hyperaware of every little pulse on the grid of what's fashionable and respond to it. - This takes a certain type of talent, to be sure, but it's nothing compared to people who sing with their heart and soul, and rip their guts out, and only turn out to be fashionable by mistake.

And as corny an aul git as it may make me seem - ya think anyone 'll be listening to the Ting Tings in 5 years ? (or even 2) , and yes, as stodgy and old school and modernist as it makes me sound, I do think that matters.

Now get upstairs and do your homework, you young scamps, I want a full report on Great Drum Solos of the early 1970's by tomorrow.

• Advertisement

They are the encapsulation of everything that is **** about music today. (Defiantly lowers Grateful Dead record onto truntable, lights spliff, turns on Lava Lamp.)

I just hate slightly piss-takey, tongue in cheek, postmoderny music that isn't really about anything, sung by people wearing plastic glasses and looking like they just fell out of the George Bernard Shaw.

Reason?

There's something so lazy about writing music that doesnt really attempt to appeal to anything deep in the listener, and yet also doesnt appeal to the brain by being funny or witty - instead it just cops out and says nothing at all - the lyrics are usually just stuff that sounds coolish over the music - the music is little more than some limp drum machine beats and a little reheated funk or slightly early-80's ish clatter - and yet you cant really accuse them of being 'crap' cause they arent even putting enough of themselves into the music for it to be embarassing.

Gimme a moon-faced singer-songwriter pining for lost love any day: He may be crap, but at least he's trying to mean something, if only to himself.

The Ting Tings are to real music what Graphic Design is to real art: All thats needed is to be hyperaware of every little pulse on the grid of what's fashionable and respond to it. - This takes a certain type of talent, to be sure, but it's nothing compared to people who sing with their heart and soul, and rip their guts out, and only turn out to be fashionable by mistake.

And as corny an aul git as it may make me seem - ya think anyone 'll be listening to the Ting Tings in 5 years ? (or even 2) , and yes, as stodgy and old school and modernist as it makes me sound, I do think that matters.

Now get upstairs and do your homework, you young scamps, I want a full report on Great Drum Solos of the early 1970's by tomorrow.

That's not my name....

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

The Ting Tings are to real music what Graphic Design is to real art..

Yes

Is that bad? Is there no value in something that's light? Must everything be high art?

Whilst I don't want to eat Mars Bars everyday, I enjoy the occasional one as part of a balanced diet ......

Are ye Musical Gillian McKeiths? Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

There is nothing wrong with occasional mars bars but they still make me put on weight.

dav nagle wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with occasional mars bars but they still make me put on weight.

Not as part of a Balanced Diet!

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Not as part of a Balanced Diet!

I am not on a balanced diet for the most part!

dav nagle wrote: »
    I am not on a balanced diet for the most part!

Ah, so it's your fault, not the Ting Tings...

Ah, so it's your fault, not the Ting Tings...

yep but i am doing something about and writing delta blues tunes live and raw. Ill record, edit cut and paste anyone else but me i want to be raw

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rockandrolldamn

Is it just me or is the Riff in the tune(Dare I say it Shut up and...) a rip off of Ian Dury and the Blockheads Rythm Stick?:D

Is it just me or is the Riff in the tune(Dare I say it Shut up and...) a rip off of Ian Dury and the Blockheads Rythm Stick?:D

If it doesn't smell fresh it probably isn't fresh

• Advertisement

A Homage surely....?

I think Norman Watt-Roy's bass line was a tad more complex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Does anybody still listen to Goldfrapp anymore ??????????????

I can see these guys going the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rockandrolldamn

A Homage surely....?

I think Norman Watt-Roy's bass line was a tad more complex

Oh more than agreed one of my favorate bass lines of all time

Oh more than agreed one of my favorate bass lines of all time

And he wrote the 'Dan-Dah-Daaaah' bit in Frankie goes to Hollywood song 'Two Tribes'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Reason?

I agree, it's just instant (s)hit music that catches your ear for 2 minutes and possibly raises your pulse a notch. Then you forget about it until the next time you hear it on the radio, you may think the second time around that it ok, better than all the rap and "r'n'b" that has been saturating the charts over the last few years. Suddenly it's constantly on the radio and you hear kids singing it in the street and you can't escape it and it really gets on your nerves. These types of songs and bands are the McDonalds of the music world. It's commercial, only momentarily satisfactory and it leaves you feeling a little sick inside.

jiltloop wrote: »
    These types of songs and bands are the McDonalds of the music world. It's commercial, only momentarily satisfactory and it leaves you feeling a little sick inside.

Or wanting More!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I thought it sounded like something by Chic...

I thought it sounded like something by Chic...

Yea, certainly disco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I consider them good pop no more and no less, have the album but would not listen to it much.

Advertisement