Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License

Options
  • 29-08-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    im getting an air rifle soon so I am picking up a license form from the gardai station on monday, if I filled it out how long until I could recieve my license and is there any other processes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

I filled mine in a month ago, my local FO rang me a couple of days later for some clarification on a few details, and I haven't heard anything since. All depends on the Super after that, so I am told.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

For your first licience they will do a background check, but all things being clear it should be issued within 6 weeks.

If you don't have it within that time, call the super at your local Garda station and ask about it, occasionally they end up in a filing tray.

Bell:D

What happens if your local station is under the jurisdiction of a bigger station? Chatting to my FO it sounded as if he had already done some enquiries into my background. Would the Super have more work done on it?

My FO also told me expect to wait a month, and that I had applied at a bad time because renewals were being processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Will this be your first licence ?? If so could take up to three months if not its like asking how long a piece of string is ? As the lads have said they will do a backround check and so on. Hopefully you should have it in about 4 to 6 weeks but I have heard that air rifles often take longer I dont know why. What kind of air rifle are you after ? Best of luck with the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3 months is a more reasonable expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cork hunter

Is that the case with all police stations, and will a air rifle dealer hold the air rifle while its begin processed?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

I presume you bought here. The dealers are well used to it and will hold it for you. I got my first .22 rifle cert in about 8 weeks but have waited on average 3 months for most applications to be filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

picked up my license form today, just wondering do you need a license before purchasing an air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Strange as it sounds : no you don't need a licence to buy any firearm. You need one to have it in your possesion and to buy and have ammo for it.

The strange thing about the licencing system here is that you actually do a deal with the firearms dealer before you get a licence for the gun you're after buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

But just in case Pop's asking if you need a licence to possess and use an air rifle, the answer is yes, just like any other firearm.

• Advertisement

do I need a safe before I can get my license?
    600th post:D

For a single air rifle? It's not hugely likely they'll demand it (though if they do, that's definitive - you have to get it). However, if you've kids about the place, it's just a Good Idea (tm) to have one.

For an airrifle I would consider a trigger lock instead of a safe if the cops don't insist on a safe.

So long as it's safe meath - the concern here is really more the safety of the folks in Pop's house rather than burglary, especially with this tragic news from the UK this evening :(

Exactly the point Sparks. Triggerlock --> no access to the trigger --> no accidental discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Asusual,blame the item,not the complete idiot who left the loaded gun lying around where kids were playing.You got to wonder somtimes....

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Well, it was bound to happen (blaming the firearm that is). And the only alternative to blaming the firearm would be to take his 5-year old away to child services while he's done for criminal negligence. No police officer's about to do that unless he was off doing something illegal while the accident happened. It'd be seen over there as if a Garda here had someone's remaining child taken away and the parent arrested because one child brained the other with a hurley.

thanks for all the replies guys, much help, if I do get one I will invest in a safe.

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, it was bound to happen (blaming the firearm that is). And the only alternative to blaming the firearm would be to take his 5-year old away to child services while he's done for criminal negligence. No police officer's about to do that unless he was off doing something illegal while the accident happened. It'd be seen over there as if a Garda here had someone's remaining child taken away and the parent arrested because one child brained the other with a hurley.

Dunno Sparks,they have done it for less over there,and for crazier things.It's not the police jobto remove kids ,it is the more sinister doings of child welfare protection officers and social services,and poor ol plod has to enforce the court edicts.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

License came through today, happy days and fair play to the Gardai. Less than a month since the firearms officer first gave me a call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well done and safe shooting. :)

Good to hear.Enjoy it.:D

Advertisement