Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptical societies in UCD

Options
  • 29-08-2008 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hello, greeting and salutation

I am starting in UCD next week and I require some information regarding skeptical societies. I am a member of the Irish Skeptics society, and I am wondering if there is a similar society in existence in UCD, obviously on a smaller scale. If this isn't the case, could somebody please point me in the direction of a similar society which hold critical thinking and scientific inquiry as its central philosophy.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm also an ISS member, and the short answer to your question is: there isn't anything like that at UCD... yet. I'm tempted to try and start one, though I'm not quite sure what that entails.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭CursedSkeptic

bnt wrote: »
    I'm also an ISS member, and the short answer to your question is: there isn't anything like that at UCD... yet. I'm tempted to try and start one, though I'm not quite sure what that entails.

Get a meeting together for that, I would offer any possible assistance. I think skepticism is a difficult concept to sell at the best of times, so in a college setting I think it would require a lot of effort to get it off the ground. Skeptical soc would be a great addition to UCD, of that I am certain. We need to replace pop culture idiocy with some critical thinking.

OK: general instructions for starting a society have been posted elsewhere, such as here.

Enrolling members for a society happens during "Freshers Week", which is the 2nd week of the semester proper (15-19 Sep), so it would have to be set up before that. That would leave a week to gather signatures.

(Not much can happen during induction week - only 1st years are on campus (mostly)

As for what the society would be about: I propose starting with the principles behind the Irish Skeptics Society, here. They also have a forum on boards.ie, here.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Feel free to contact me if you need any help with this. I'd be extremely interested...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

Hello, greeting and salutation

I am starting in UCD next week and I require some information regarding skeptical societies. I am a member of the Irish Skeptics society, and I am wondering if there is a similar society in existence in UCD, obviously on a smaller scale. If this isn't the case, could somebody please point me in the direction of a similar society which hold critical thinking and scientific inquiry as its central philosophy.

Many thanks!

hmm id be a little sceptical about the idea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

What would a Skeptics society DO?

Just sit around and laugh at the religious?
    Picket Islamic week?

What would a Skeptics society DO?

Just sit around and laugh at the religious?
    Picket Islamic week?

That's up to the members to decide, but I already suggested the Irish Skeptics principles as a possible model to start with. Why do you assume scepticism is focused on religion?

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I know its not just religion, but I really don't see what the point of the society would be.

Again, what would it do?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wouldn't really be arsed helping with setting it up or anything, but I'd join if one was indeed set up :) Not sure what exactly the society would do besides perhaps organise debates and invite well known 'skeptics' to give talks.

It'd be good for meeting like-minded individuals anyways :)

Again, what would it do?

At this early stage I wouldn't say that there needs to be an "agenda", or that we need to answer a question such as "what would we do". We can start from the idea, the principles, and see how it develops. What do you think we should do? Do you have something positive to contribute to the idea, or are you just going to be negative?
    Dave! wrote: »
    Not sure what exactly the society would do besides perhaps organise debates and invite well known 'skeptics' to give talks.
    Sounds like a plan to me.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was anyone at the God debate last year actually? I seem to remember Michael Shermer (of the American Skeptics' Society) speaking at it, but I'm not sure... can anyone verify this? Coulda sworn it was him, but I wasn't that familiar with him at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

At this early stage I wouldn't say that there needs to be an "agenda", or that we need to answer a question such as "what would we do". We can start from the idea, the principles, and see how it develops. What do you think we should do? Do you have something positive to contribute to the idea, or are you just going to be negative?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Eh...an "agenda" as you call it is the very first thing htere needs to be. The recognititino committee isn't likely to approve a society that will do absolutely nothing, Especialyl when it's being funded by the university to do so.

Raphael wrote: »
    Eh...an "agenda" as you call it is the very first thing htere needs to be. The recognititino committee isn't likely to approve a society that will do absolutely nothing, Especialyl when it's being funded by the university to do so.
    My point was that here & now we are still some way off from the recognition committee. We need Aims, and signatures, but do we need a specific agenda (events, dates, etc.)?
    If so, who decides all this stuff? Just the few of us who happen to be on this forum now? I would hope it was a bit more democratic than that. IMHO we need more input, which we can get on campus while gathering signatures.

One of us should contact Richard Butler on Monday and get some more details about the process and exactly what's needed. I can do it, but I think members need to be involved in deciding any specific agenda - not have it dictated to them by a few people who have nothing better to do on a Saturday night! I think we should avoid getting bogged down in specifics on this forum, at least not until we know more about how to do this. I agree that it needs an offline meeting of all interested parties. Anything we propose here will get sniped at from the peanut gallery. :rolleyes:

— Kingsley Amis

OK: I've written to Richard Butler, and got more details back from him. Short version:
    - it's possible to get something up and running before Fresher's Week. It can be done.
    - The devil is in the details, but the requirements are fairly clear, and there will be a Recognition Committee meeting before Fresher's Week.

I wrote up a lot of details and suggestions that I was going to PM to a lot of people, but thought it best to gauge interest first. If we are really serious about making a go if it, we have to start NOW. What will NOT work is: sitting back and waiting for others to do the hard work, so you can pay your €2 and have a few free lunches. :P

It will only happen if we get solid expressions of support, and volunteers prepared to work at it, including spending a little of their own money. For a start, can we get some constructive comments on the following?

- we would need to agree on the name: I suggest UCD Skeptics Society, meaning "a society of Skeptics"; as opposed to "Skeptical Society", which makes it sound like the society itself is skeptical (which is impossible)!
    - the spelling: Sceptics (UK) or Skeptics (USA)?
    - using the Irish Skeptics goals as a starting point for further discussion:
    • To promote a scientific and rational point of view.
    • To promote the teaching and application of critical thinking skills.
    • To promote the active questioning of claims in a variety of areas, which is noticeably absent at present.
    • To provide a forum for debate, discussion and rational argument on a range of relevant topics.
    • To provide an access point for media UCD students and staff for skeptical responses to questionable claims.
    • To encourage the active involvement of people from a wide range of backgrounds.
    What the Society will NOT be (in my opinion):
    - not anti-religious, atheist, or political in its aims. (What's that they say about Religion and Politics?)
    - not a cynical, muck-raking society that tries to insult or offend people. (Anyone can shout "fake!" - just look at YouTube.)
    - not for abstract high-falutin' philosophical discussions: we already have PhilSoc for that. Anyone should be able to attend a meeting or discussion and get something useful out of it.

I have an idea for a fun discussion: take a skeptical look at the "plane and conveyor belt" myth, and why it's so hard to get people to agree on it. (A little physics would be involved, but not too much.)

So, who thinks this is worth pursuing, and can actively contribute in the next two weeks? I couldn't do it all by myself, even if I wanted to... :o

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

em....you certainly wont be up and running in the next two weeks. Have you a staff member of UCD assigned as a senior treasurer? Have you spoken to Butler about opening a bank account and getting recognition. Arts soc had alot of money and alot of people and that took alot of time ...

Grimes wrote: »
    em....you certainly wont be up and running in the next two weeks. Have you a staff member of UCD assigned as a senior treasurer? Have you spoken to Butler about opening a bank account and getting recognition. Arts soc had alot of money and alot of people and that took alot of time ...
    Yes, I did speak to Butler - I thought I said so, didn't I, at the start of the last post.

Are you deliberately trying to put people off? Everything has to start somewhere, and you tackle a big problem by breaking it down in to smaller problems. I have a lot more detail about the requirements, even if I didn't dump the whole lot on everyone in one go. Or do you think it's up to me to do everything myself?

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You wont be getting any English students joining anyway:p

Yes, I did speak to Butler - I thought I said so, didn't I, at the start of the last post.

Are you deliberately trying to put people off? Everything has to start somewhere, and you tackle a big problem by breaking it down in to smaller problems. I have a lot more detail about the requirements, even if I didn't dump the whole lot on everyone in one go. Or do you think it's up to me to do everything myself?

No im not trying to put people off. Im asking questions that you havnt given any indication that you have thought of. I certainly wont be joining your society with your obvious attitude problem especially with two auditors who are speaking to you about this. Who know the system alot better than you. Good luck anyway always good to see new organisations set up.

Grimes wrote: »
    No im not trying to put people off. Im asking questions that you havnt given any indication that you have thought of. I certainly wont be joining your society with your obvious attitude problem especially with two auditors who are speaking to you about this. Who know the system alot better than you. Good luck anyway always good to see new organisations set up.
    Right... I'm making suggestions, asking for input, and your response is to throw water on ideas. If you know so much about this, why are you asking questions, instead of supplying answers and getting involved?

Besides, where are you getting the idea that it would be "my society"? If you think I'm viewing this as some kind of personal project, then you've really misunderstood what I've said. By focusing your negativity on me, you are missing the point entirely. It's not about me. I didn't start this thread, or any of the previous threads on the topic.

Still, you're a moderator, so I can see where this is going. If anyone else wants my opinion or involvement, PM me, because I'm obviously a liability. :rolleyes:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Rafa and Grimes are just realists so no need to say they are being unhelpful. I think they are being very helpful to you, it is near impossible to set up a new society. Arts Soc was even opposed by the University top brass until a lot of hard work got it back. Trying to create a society which will have so few members will be a very tall order. Even if you did it I doubt it would last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Grimes is a mod on the archaeology forum, he's just a normal user here. As regards my "pissing on the parade", if you don't want informed advice and help then that's grand, I'll step out of the thread. Best of luck, hope you can get it done in time.

Raphael wrote: »
    Grimes is a mod on the archaeology forum, he's just a normal user here.

Ah here now.Im a god around palaeontology aswell. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 annie1000

I've avoiding getting an account here for about a year because I never wanted to post (UCD is too small a place!) but you should contact Gary O'Reilly from the School of Psychology, he's heavily involved in the Irish Skeptics Society and a really nice guy. I don't know how much a role he'd be willing to play but you could ask him for advice or to give a talk, his lectures are really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm also an ISS member and I have actually obtained permission from the uni to set up a UCD skeptic's soc. I haven't done it because I'm too busy, but maybe this year?

Butler and a large group ("The board") held a meeting with me at the end of first year and said that if I could prove to them I'd actually do it, they'd approve me. What needs to be done is a whole year of meetings and talks must be given, ie. it must be a real society for a year with tangible results.

I was thinking topics like
    1. Nuclear power
    2. GM food
    3. "Energy"
    4. Alternative medicine after alternative medicine, etc.
    5. Evolution

Originally it was going to be the atheist and agnostic soc (AA meetings anyone?), but I decided to shift the focus from religion to science so as to appeal to a wider audience.

This year I've only got 3 modules per semester...I'm less busy. Anyone wanna have a meeting to see if we can get this project going?

• Advertisement

Advertisement