Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptical societies in UCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭CursedSkeptic

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Capital idea. Put up a proposed meeting time and place. I will swing by and start going Hitchens on people

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Xhristy wrote: »

What you may or may not know is that they are three either present or past society auditors. As am I (well, I'm one past society auditor, not three). I've also been on one of the committees that govern the whole societies lark. We aren't saying it can't be done, just that it's a damn sight harder than you think it is and getting it done by freshers' week is... improbable. Best of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Aye, it is a damn sight harder than one might think, and getting it done by Freshers week is only realistic if you're talking about next years'.

I'll post a time and date then, so check this space. I'll give us all a week to settle in, I still don't know my schedule because my job has been dragging its feet in relation to telling me when I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

Just came across this thread now, sounds like something I'd be interested in myself =)

Hello everyone who expressed an interest in this,

I'd like to announce that I an a few other people will be meeting in the science hub at lunchtime 1pm this Thursday. Anyone who is interested please come along.

I will fully explain what I did in first year regarding this, and will happily trade ideas, build contacts and so on and so forth. I also will be looking for people to provide drive, direction and ambition with the aim of promoting the idea.

I have the leadership qualities of a lemming, and if I were the leader I'd get the society into trouble with my hotheaded and radical approach to life, so I'd also be looking for a person or group of persons to formally take charge, though I would still enjoy being involved of course.

This is really the only time I can hang around (I'm off both work and college on Thursdays), and if no one shows I will consider the idea dead.

We'll be sitting downstairs at one of the tables. Hmm...I've never described my appearence on boards before...and I won't start now. I'll just put up a sign above my head reading Skepsoc meeting.

Hope to see people there!

-David

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

I would be interested but i'm in a lecture at this time so I shall not be present

Yes, Thursday 2nd. I'll be there for several hours starting from 1. Thanks for the interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Can I ask what Societies Rafael, Grimes and The_Minster were Auditors of?

Its really not as hard as they are making out to start a society, as big of a goof as Butler is, he is very helpful and should/already has by the looks of it give you a clear indication of whats needed.

Best of luck with this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Raph is Gamesoc auditor, not sure about the others.

• Advertisement

I guess I should have suspected that a skeptical society would have attracted so many geeks. Seriously why would anybody want to spend time with somebody who is in gamesoc, let alone its auditor. And for jaysus sake why follow the idiotic trend of taking a syllable from the first word of any interest and attach the pseudo word soc to the end when deciding the formal title of a society? Skepsoc? **** that anybody who would join. If it was comprised of and run by people who are interested in applying critical thinking and logic to areas beyond those usually the domain of science, not dungeons and dragons playing freaks who cannot interact on even a basic level without proving mind numbingly annoying, I would be interested in joining. Skepsoc? Why not UCD Skeptics society? ISS will have to suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol..... well that was random

All the best with your society mate, I hope for your sake no geeks try to join!

Nervous breakdown alert! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

I guess I should have suspected that a skeptical society would have attracted so many geeks. Seriously why would anybody want to spend time with somebody who is in gamesoc, let alone its auditor. And for jaysus sake why follow the idiotic trend of taking a syllable from the first word of any interest and attach the pseudo word soc to the end when deciding the formal title of a society? Skepsoc? **** that anybody who would join. If it was comprised of and run by people who are interested in applying critical thinking and logic to areas beyond those usually the domain of science, not dungeons and dragons playing freaks who cannot interact on even a basic level without proving mind numbingly annoying, I would be interested in joining. Skepsoc? Why not UCD Skeptics society? ISS will have to suffice
    What has a person being in gamesoc got anything to do with their ability to contribute to the society, most members of gamesoc are there to relax from their studies and have fun. Maybe if you came to one of these events you might have a bit of fun. Plus not once have I seen or heard about dungeons and dragons (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Infracted.

I don't think that I have to explain why.

??

Skepsoc is short for The UCD Skeptics Society, just like Dutchsoc is short for The Dutch Gold Society, Pharmtox for the Pharmacology and Toxicology society, etc. It is a common and widely accepted contraction, and I'm really not understanding why you care so much about the name.

As for the possibility of "geeks" taking over, first let me say that the only mention of gamesoc had to do with the auditor and was concerned with the mechanics of running a society. Second, let me publicly declare that I recently bought seasons 1-7 of both Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space 9. I also like Final Fantasy games and science jokes.

Geeky enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

This is the funniest post I've seen for a loooong time... Interesting that a person who is claiming to be a critical thinker is essentially regurgitating an 80's media sterotype. hardly the way to win friends and influence people.

Also, ISS are the UCD cleaning company so you might want to reconsider that name, god forbid such an exhalted society of free thinkers such as this be confused with our humble cleaners...

??

Skepsoc is short for The UCD Skeptics Society, just like Dutchsoc is short for The Dutch Gold Society, Pharmtox for the Pharmacology and Toxicology society, etc. It is a common and widely accepted contraction, and I'm really not understanding why you care so much about the name.

As for the possibility of "geeks" taking over, first let me say that the only mention of gamesoc had to do with the auditor and was concerned with the mechanics of running a society. Second, let me publicly declare that I recently bought seasons 1-7 of both Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space 9. I also like Final Fantasy games and science jokes.

Geeky enough?

Well fu*k me, your the exact kind of person I would not want be in a society with. Gamesoc being mentioned aside, the proposed meeting place is in exact place where the geeks and freaks of the university congregate, I have been here a few weeks and I know that. Also, I know what skepsoc is supposed to mean, its a stupid name

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    This is the funniest post I've seen for a loooong time... Interesting that a person who is claiming to be a critical thinker is essentially regurgitating an 80's media sterotype. hardly the way to win friends and influence people.

Also, ISS are the UCD cleaning company so you might want to reconsider that name, god forbid such an exhalted society of free thinkers such as this be confused with our humble cleaners...

I am indeed upset that I won't be winning the influence and friendship of a crowd of geeks

You sound like a hoot mate, I'd say the societies will be fighting to get you on board

I do hope the irony of posting on an internet forum to criticise geeks is not lost on you though!

One of us, one of us, one of us........!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Cursedsceptic, cut the crap and be civil.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    You sound like a hoot mate, I'd say the societies will be fighting to get you on board

I do hope the irony of posting on an internet forum to criticise geeks is not lost on you though!

One of us, one of us, one of us........!!!

Not so fast geek, perhaps that would be a valid point if I were posting on the star trek forum or something, if there is one, but ucd is neutral, so fukyaself. Also, geek is a lifestyle, not just an occasional time killer

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Going for a ban then? Shame... I'm still half-hoping your last few posts have been an elaborate joke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well fu*k me, your the exact kind of person I would not want be in a society with. Gamesoc being mentioned aside, the proposed meeting place is in exact place where the geeks and freaks of the university congregate, I have been here a few weeks and I know that. Also, I know what skepsoc is supposed to mean, its a stupid name
    You've been here... how long? A few weeks, but you've already got everyone sussed out. Good on 'yer - in my 2nd year I still haven't nailed everyone down yet, and don't expect to by the time I leave UCD.

Most of the Science-related lectures take place in the Science Hub, plus quite a few Engineering-related lectures, especially for 1st year. That's why people congregate there. Are those people all geeks, then? I suppose you're doing "Orts"? If so, good luck in your future career, then. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

You'll see him posting a thread here in a couple of weeks,

Thinking of dropping out... UCD is sh*t...
    "Why do I have no friends here? I think everyone's just in a clique and they won't let smart people into it :mad:"

My response: "Join a club/society"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Spouting unfounded insults at people isn't a very good way of making friends.

Ah, sure enough :)

I am? Those are only some of my interests. I also like BDSM and heavy metal. Sorry if that shatters your idea of what a geek is. I think you're thinking of a "nerdmeister general". Most of the "geeks" I know are smarter and "cooler" than your average joe, and are a pleasure to hang around.

You wouldn't happen by any chance to own a long leather coat, would you?

Your geek-ism (racism against geeks!) aside, let me say that I take back what I said in that private message. It was a shot in the dark, but I was spot on.

Anyway, feel free to show up, but please do leave your nihilism and teen angst at home. It is possible to be a sceptic without feeling the world has no purpose.

bnt wrote: »
    You've been here... how long? A few weeks, but you've already got everyone sussed out. Good on 'yer - in my 2nd year I still haven't nailed everyone down yet, and don't expect to by the time I leave UCD.

Most of the Science-related lectures take place in the Science Hub, plus quite a few Engineering-related lectures, especially for 1st year. That's why people congregate there. Are those people all geeks, then? I suppose you're doing "Orts"? If so, good luck in your future career, then. :rolleyes:

Doing engineering actually you plank

I am? Those are only some of my interests. I also like BDSM and heavy metal. Sorry if that shatters your idea of what a geek is. I think you're thinking of a "nerdmeister general". Most of the "geeks" I know are smarter and "cooler" than your average joe, and are a pleasure to hang around.

You wouldn't happen by any chance to own a long leather coat, would you?

Your geek-ism (racism against geeks!) aside, let me say that I take back what I said in that private message. It was a shot in the dark, but I was spot on.

Anyway, feel free to show up, but please do leave your nihilism and teen angst at home. It is possible to be a sceptic without feeling the world has no purpose.

Jesus, you are one strange b@stard, were you going to try and rape me when you planned to meet up with me? Thanks be to fuc k I declined on that one! :cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement

Inglorious wrote: »
    Spouting unfounded insults at people isn't a very good way of making friends.

Yeah you see I don't spout insults at real people, just the creepy members of the student body like yourself and the others who are so put out by me telling them that they are weird kunts

Advertisement