Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptical societies in UCD

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭CursedSkeptic

Geeky girls are even worse

Geeky lads have small willies

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Doing engineering actually you plank

Engineer. Insulting nerds/geeks.

Kettle. Pot. Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Doing engineering actually you plank

Then you're a geek who'll be hanging around the Science Hub, then. No different from everyone else there, regardless of your ego. Think you're better, and have the right to judge people just by looking at them? Oh man... good luck at UCD, or any university... or the world outside.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭CursedSkeptic

Engineer. Insulting nerds/geeks.

Kettle. Pot. Black.

You dont know what you are talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The life guards are calling for you mate, they want you to leave the gene pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You dont know what you are talking about

Trust me, I know exactly what I'm talking about. :pac:
    Engineers are just as geeky as science students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 testybits

Yeah you see I don't spout insults at real people, just the creepy members of the student body like yourself and the others who are so put out by me telling them that they are weird kunts

You might wanna talk to someone about that serious case of attention deficit disorder you've got going on there...its like reading posts from Rainman on acid.

Talk to the DSS, they'll sort you out with a little room to yourself where you'll be free to twitch away to your hearts desire.

Grow the fcuk up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Xhristy wrote: »
    What he said, I don't especially want to have to either prune chunks out of this thread or lock it. The negative influence has been removed, let's get back to the discussion at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I might come along, but I have no idea how I'll recognize ye? As for geeks...if your in college your already a geek to the rest of society :D No amount of trendy scarves and scoffing sub-standard pills will change that fact.

lol@ the dude who listed BDSM and heavy metal as interests. :pac:

• Advertisement

If you've been following this thread, you'll know this is not the first time that negativity has tried to take over. There's a saying that you might hear, especially if you ever end up in Management: "focus on the issue, not on the person", and it's been ignored a couple of times.

Previously, I made some suggestions about how it might be made to work in time for this semester. In response we got a lot of "it can't be done", and I got abuse from people who thought it was some kind of pet project of mine ("your society"). No point continuing that discussion - the focus was on me, not on the Society. CursedSkeptic responded to a constructive suggestion - the meeting - by focusing on the people who might attend, missing the point of what we're talking about here.

A UCD Skeptics Society is still a noble, worthwhile idea. If you like the idea, but are concerned it would not meet your idea of what a Skeptical Society would be, you will achieve nothing by sitting here on the sidelines, and sniping at those who are making the effort to get it up and running. I said it before, and I'll say it again: quit sniping and get involved - then, at least there's a chance that the Skeptical Society will be what you think it should be. The real work will all be happening at UCD, face-to-face - not here.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

bnt wrote: »
    If you've been following this thread, you'll know this is not the first time that negativity has tried to take over. There's a saying that you might hear, especially if you ever end up in Management: "focus on the issue, not on the person", and it's been ignored a couple of times.

Previously, I made some suggestions about how it might be made to work in time for this semester. In response we got a lot of "it can't be done", and I got abuse from people who thought it was some kind of pet project of mine ("your society"). No point continuing that discussion - the focus was on me, not on the Society. CursedSkeptic responded to a constructive suggestion - the meeting - by focusing on the people who might attend, missing the point of what we're talking about here.

A UCD Skeptics Society is still a noble, worthwhile idea. If you like the idea, but are concerned it would not meet your idea of what a Skeptical Society would be, you will achieve nothing by sitting here on the sidelines, and sniping at those who are making the effort to get it up and running. I said it before, and I'll say it again: quit sniping and get involved - then, at least there's a chance that the Skeptical Society will be what you think it should be. The real work will all be happening at UCD, face-to-face - not here.

Thank you very much bnt.

Indeed, the society is still in the womb and is ready to be moulded into any shape that is agreed apon by active members. The whole reason I've called this meeting is to set it up, not to have the first talk! I don't want a society that acts and sounds like me, because few would listen tbh. I'm not infallible and I think the agenda is too important to be set and run by one person.

...And my geekiness has nothing to do with my small willie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey did anybody actually go to this?

FYI -- there is a 'God Debate' on tomorrow. There's posters around the place. I'm working unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

Morning. So, has there been any progress, in forming a Skeptics' Society, since the last posts? The end of the academic year is fast-approaching ...

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ah i always knew it would never take off. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 squidge1

I know I'm a little late but the idea sounds good to me. Doubt I'd have the organisational skills to help set it up but I'd definitely join. Best of luck.

Advertisement