Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my glow starter frigged?

Options
  • 29-08-2008 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

It doesn't light up the glow plug every time. Sometimes the top of the glow starter gets warm but no glow from the plug and if I try again then a few mins later it will light it.

I'd love if I had some brand new plugs to test it with but unfortunately not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Sounds like the glow plug is on the way out.
    Is the glow starter fully charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

syl77 wrote: »
    Sounds like the glow plug is on the way out.
    Is the glow starter fully charged?

The starter is charged yes. I'm just gonna get some new plugs.

I've read here that the glow starters that show the current charge aren't much good or accurate but it would be nice if there was a little led on the top that would light when the glow plug is glowing in the cylinder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You can hear the glowplug filament whine if you listen carefully.
    if there is any fuel on it you willl hear it sizzle as the fuel boils off the filament.
    It glows just as the sizzle stops, and a pull right at that precise moment will often start even the most difficult engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

coolwings wrote: »
    if there is any fuel on it you willl hear it sizzle as the fuel boils off the filament.
    It glows just as the sizzle stops, and a pull right at that precise moment will often start even the most difficult engines.
    Reminds me of the heater plug in a diesel engine except its the opposite: wait for the "poof" and start. Will it always whine like that ?

Nope. But if you pre-prime the engine, as you are supposed to, it will always sizzle. Assuming it's working that is!

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »

What is it about that specific moment that makes the engine start easier?

Combination of factors. Fuel aersol vaporization, counts. Mostly voltage brownout from the battery after a few seconds. The glow is brightest at first, just like a torchlight is brightest and fades slightly after a few seconds. Extremely noticable on an almost empty battery.
    So it glows brightest soonest, but can't glow at all until the liquid fuel boils off the filament. Thats the sizzle, the filament boils dry and glows, the sizzle stops and the glow element brightens, and it starts .....

Right. The glow starter is frigged. Was only a few months old.

Might get the same setup as you were using in that Specter setup coolwings. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51448163&postcount=31

What do I need for this?

Most of the airplane guys use a 12V battery, for everything ... 12v fuel pump, 12v starter motor, and via a power panel transformer down to 2 V for glowplug ignition via leads and a glowsocket.
    Advantage never runs down, disadvantage bigger than a simple nicad glowstart in your pocket.
    The power panel is a bit big for packing so I found smaller size. That is a compact version called a mini power panel.

I might just get this actually http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=HOBP2502

and connect it to a battery pack like you have done. What battery type would you recommend and how many cells.
    I have a 5 cell NI-MH pack here. It's 7500mah 6v.

Is that black box in your picture to bring the voltage down to 2v?

• Advertisement
Advertisement