Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time bike for a heavy guy..

• 29-08-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭

Hey, looking into Bikes now a bit more and getting very interested..

However, first bike..should be low powered really and has to be because of the license BUT.. I weigh about 20-22 stone give or take and reckon I'd be wasting my time on a 125 if I wanted to use it for anything more than lessons like taking a trip somewhere etc..

Can I start on a 250?
    If so what's a good 250 to start on with cheap enough insurance(I'm 21 in October with no experience on bikes, but a full driving license, if that counts towards anything)

If I can't start on a 250..what's the best 125 I can get considering my weight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭gipi

Once you're over 18, you're not restricted to a 125cc.

There's a bit of confusion over what is a learner legal bike - the law appears ambiguous. Have a read of this thread in the first time bikers section on biker.ie

Many believe (and I'm just not sure!) that a larger cruiser-style bike is learner legal because of the power/weight ratio.

You could get a bigger cc bike, but have it restricted to 33bhp which might suit you rather than a smallish 250cc bike.

Insurance is going to be pricey, because of your age and learner status - just a case of phoning round to get the best deal (only 4 companies, so it won't take long!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'm allowed to do that? sounds like a better option..
    i.e with the restricting...

definitely going with something higher than a 250cc so, don't mind the insurance really, it's going to be worth it in the long run.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

something like a bandit 600 would probably be best for you
    Get a factory restricted 1 (33BHP) for cheapest insurance
    and please get some training

My 1600cc is learner legal.
    XV1600 Roadstar.jpg

My 1600cc is learner legal.
    XV1600 Roadstar.jpg

not my style of bike but she is nice and extreamly clean
    i doubt she is learner leagal tho it cant be that low on power?

• Advertisement

not my style of bike but she is nice and extreamly clean
    i doubt she is learner leagal tho it cant be that low on power?

It is learner legal. It weighs over 330kg's so that brings it within the power weight limit.

It is learner legal. It weighs over 330kg's so that brings it within the power weight limit.

fcuk you want to put her on a diet is that dry weight?
    i would still question if it is learner legal but im sure you have your facts checked out ;)
    i thought the bandit was heavy at 250kg

fcuk you want to put her on a diet is that dry weight?
    i would still question if it is learner legal but im sure you have your facts checked out ;)
    i thought the bandit was heavy at 250kg

330kg dry+ 20 litre tank, about 5 litres of oil. It's just within the 0.16 Kw/Kg limit :)

But back on topic, to the OP, bikes like the yamaha dragstar 650 are learner legal. Its pretty big and comfy and plenty of power for longer trips etc. Cheap to insure as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

something like a bandit 600 would probably be best for you
    Get a factory restricted 1 (33BHP) for cheapest insurance
    and please get some training

Sounds perfect, LOVE the look of that bike as well, gorgeous..

and as for training, ha..don't worry about that. Wouldn't dream about getting on a bike without extensive training. I don't have a deathwish.

as for that 1600cc :eek:
    dunno, not really my type of bike but thanks anyway!

anyway..thanks for the information lads.
    hopefully i'll be getting started soon enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whats your budget?.

I drive a bandit (professionally) and they're not a great bike. For your size you might fight it very small and lacking torque.

• Advertisement

ClioV6 wrote: »

as for that 1600cc :eek:
    dunno, not really my type of bike but thanks anyway!

its a 600
    Mairt wrote: »
    Whats your budget?.

I drive a bandit (professionally) and they're not a great bike. For your size you might fight it very small and lacking torque.

(professionally) so your a courier?
    as for lacking torque there must be something wrong with your bandit if you find its lacking torque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

(professionally) so your a courier?
    as for lacking torque there must be something wrong with your bandit if you find its lacking torque.

If I was a courier who'd bought a Bandit, I'd have replaced it by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Id go with what Limrick Bandit said about a factory restricted 600 bandit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Have to agree with Limerick bandit about the restricted 600, i have one and i wouldn't change her for anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

This learner legal thing is really confusing, while the license may allow you to drive these bikes, when I tried to get first insurance , I was not allowed to insure something as big as a 600. Not much use being learner legal if you can't insure it, so make sure you check that out before you buy. I am well over the age of 25 and the choice of bike insurers in Ireland is really limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭The Sheriffk

shawnee wrote: »
    This learner legal thing is really confusing, while the license may allow you to drive these bikes, when I tried to get first insurance , I was not allowed to insure something as big as a 600. Not much use being learner legal if you can't insure it, so make sure you check that out before you buy. I am well over the age of 25 and the choice of bike insurers in Ireland is really limited.

Try Adelaide Insurance

bikes@adelaideinsurance.com Email them and they will ring you back ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Hey, looking into Bikes now a bit more and getting very interested..

However, first bike..should be low powered really and has to be because of the license BUT.. I weigh about 20-22 stone
    You would have no bother if weight of rider was taken into consideration for the power to weight ratio!
    Seriously, get a bike you feel comfortable on and see if a restriction kit is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The sister started off on a bandit 6, then to a 12 and now a hayabusa.
    Started myself on an Nsr 50, gave it up for cars then.

Sister seemed to love the bandit, nice looking bike if you like the naked look, don't go the S, doesn't suit the bike IMO. And as said above, do get lessons and try get your test asap. The sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I got a restricted BMW F650CS last year as my first bike and its been great for me and the ABS brakes give me great confort when sticky sitiations occur. I can't praise the bike enough. Another bonus for me was the BMW insurance it saved me about 500 compared to the quote from Carol Nash. The cherry on the cake was the belt drive no need to adjust chains or sprockets or deal with oil. I was able to use it everyday throughout the winter.

Best of luck with your choice

Advertisement