Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(k)ubuntu startup

• 29-08-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I installed the kubuntu app earlier this week and just selected it 'for this session only' when logging in. After turning on my machine today, I notice that I get the kubuntu splash screen (the loading screen), then the ubuntu log in and then the ubuntu desktop. Why the splash screen? Is it doing anything weird?

Also, is there a ubuntu equivalent for Window-M (minimize all open windows)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

To minimise all windows you can...

1) right click on a panel on the desktop -> Add to panel ->show desktop This will create a button to minimise all windows. You can middle click it and drag it where ever you want.

2) In CCSM ( you can install this in synaptic if you don't have it) click general options -> Key bindings you can define a short like windows m. I think windows m is the magnifying glass by default, so you will have disable the magnifying glass if you want to stick to windows m.

3) Also in CCSM you can click general options -> general tab -> show desktop This will let you select a screen edge to minimise all windows. For example I have it configured that when I move the mouse to the top right hand corner beside the power button everything gets minimised. This is extremely useful. You can define screen edges for other things too, for example I have it configured to launch the window picker when I go to the bottom right etc.

4) Not using CCSM you can go System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shorcuts and either create your own key combination or alternatively you can use a button on your keyboard, so many of them these days have random buttons at the top. Mine has a stupid one for opening help windows. I changed it to open a terminal window on my PC.

I sure others can come up with more solutions. It really goes to show how flexable linux is! Unfortunately I can't help you with your other problem. Don't know a huge amount about KDE, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well there's already a 'show desktop' panel in Gnome, and there doesn't appear to be any way of assigning a shortcut to it. For number 4, I had tried that before coming here. I can assign for example Ctrl+Alt+M to do it, but when I try the 'Windows' key, it doesn't accept any other input, the upshot being the windows key minimises all windows (it registers as 'Super L' if that's any clue).

What is CCSM? A search in Synaptic found sdcc and simple-ccsm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

sorry its the compiz-settings-manager. You can install it [URL="apt://compizconfig-settings-manager"]here[/URL]

Its obviously a personal choice but I like have the [URL="apt://fusion-icon"]compiz fusion icon.[/URL] After its installed you can go to System -> Preferences -> Sessions and start the icon every boot. Call it whatever you want and for the command window type fusion-icon --no-start . You can then have more control over compiz. Restart it , change decorators, window managers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

for the splash screen try this command

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

and select gdm if it gives you a choice.

Or failing that try

sudo gedit /etc/X11/default-display-manager

and see what it says. If it says something like /usr/bin/kdm
    change it to read /usr/sbin/gdm

Hopefully this will fix your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Hey, no go on either of those. gdm was already selected and the default-display-manager file states /usr/sbin/gdm.

Any other ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement