Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsonic 9mm for sale here????

Options
  • 29-08-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Last week I bought a bunch of 9mm ammo from a dealer in the South of the land.I noticed on it it said Mag Tech 9mm Luger SUB.
    I had a suss that this was subsonic ammo,and had it confirmed by checking another EU site where it is selling for three times what I paid for it.:eek:
    Soo I am asking ;
    has anyone else bought this ammo,or has it shown up anywhere else for sale in the 26???
    Has anyone else tried it??[Well, Ill find out on Sat myself:D]
    Is this just a once off bulk that got[mis]distributed to here,or is it as common as anything???
    Just thought it an odd one that might be of intrest.If they are somthing special...Get them while you can:D
    If not ,well....
    I'll PM anyone who wants the dealer name.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sorry folks,had to remove the pic as some paranoid Petes in the DOJ might be upset by the nasty pics of JHP rounds or the knowledge that they are availabe here....:(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sorry folks,had to remove the pic as some paranoid Petes in the DOJ might be upset by the nasty pics of JHP rounds or the knowledge that they are availabe here....:(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think JHP are a target round.

Sikamick

Got to shoot what we can get down here Sika.Right Hobsons choice in ammo around here.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I know a few people Sikamick that got their 9mm purely to use on wounded deer - that's also the case they made to their super' - they don't shoot targets and are not a member of a club.
    So it follows that there's a obviously a case for ammo other than target to be available here.
    I don't know whether JHP or in fact the 9mm is the best tool for that purpose but I'm not the one issuing the licenses ;)

Well, tried it out today.Certainly doesnt give that much muzzle flip as std 9mm.[Thanks all those who PMd me on this BTW:)] Tried one or two normal 9mm rounds and compared it with this .Doesnt sound much quieter thats for sure than std 9mm:eek:.Actually,found there is a good use for it here.Steel plates.I bought one of the duelling trees for fun shooting[anyone know that one??[No I am NOT advocating duelling now in case you are worried.:rolleyes::D].It states on the instructions DO NOT use any FMJ ammo on it.Being a experimental type, and wishing to bring you factual info I tried it,and promptly shot off one of the paddles after four consectuive hits!! Either a weak piece of steel,or this FMJ is more powerful than we belive,as it certainly is a military round,not designed for target shooting either.
    So it behooves us to [1] Maybe not to use FMJ for steel plate shooting and [2] Belive what instructions tell you.:)
    Now,I'm off to do a spot of welding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

thelurcher wrote: »
    I know a few people Sikamick that got their 9mm purely to use on wounded deer - that's also the case they made to their super' - they don't shoot targets and are not a member of a club.
    So it follows that there's a obviously a case for ammo other than target to be available here.
    I don't know whether JHP or in fact the 9mm is the best tool for that purpose but I'm not the one issuing the licenses ;)
    must be on private land as coillte will not sign off on a pistol for dispatch of deer .also a 9mm is not the best cal for that job ,a 38 357 ,or 32 are best .
    i heard of a muppet bringing a 44 mag stalking and wearing it into a shop for a his lunch .i dont think there is a case for giving pistols for dispatch of deer

Dunno about that JW.It is the most common dispatch pistol on the Continent for downed deer 9mm with JHP that is.
    32 is too week.357 is over kill and 38 is about the same as 9mm anyway.What would you think is the best close in dispatch tool for deer then?
    If handgun hunting was legal here a 357 or 44 mag would be an ideal gun for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Sikamick wrote: »

I don't think JHP are a target round.

Sikamick

Aimed projectile moves towards target? If it's cheaper.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Isn't most commonly available pistol ammunition subsonic (or thereabouts) anyway, irrespective of the type of bullet stuck on the end?

/consults Cartridges of the World

Hmmmmm...
    A variety of loads in 9mm, .40 S&W, .38 Special, .45 ACP, etc appear to run around 1000-1500fps; interestingly, from a little under to a little over the sound barrier.
    Time to break out the old chronograph and a selection of 9mm, methinks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I have had a look at my licenses and it doesn't in either rifle or pistol specify ammo type i.e. High velocity, standard or subsonic.

If it is cheaper and accurate buy it.

Sikamick

• Advertisement

12.50 for 50.Standard price for what dealers in Munster are charging it seems.Accurate,well hard to say with my getting better skills.At least there are more now in the A zone than outside it.:D. Seemingly less recoil is all I can say for it.But then again I never considerd 9mm to be a big recoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sikamick wrote: »
    I have had a look at my licenses and it doesn't in either rifle or pistol specify ammo type i.e. High velocity, standard or subsonic.
    If it is cheaper and accurate buy it.
    The reason for concern isn't Irish law Sikamick, it's EU law - in annex II of EU Directive 91/477/EEC, expanding ammunition for pistols is classed as category A stuff - ie, prohibited along with fully automatic firearms and mortars and such.

However, this doesn't apply in this case because Annex II also says "except in the case of weapons for hunting or for target shooting, for persons entitled to use them"; and since he's got a target shooting licence for his pistol, Grizzly's covered. So whomever told Grizzly to keep it hush-hush was misinformed. There's no problem with using JHP for target shooting in Ireland when you've got a licence for the pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sparks wrote: »
    The reason for concern isn't Irish law Sikamick, it's EU law - in annex II of EU Directive 91/477/EEC, expanding ammunition for pistols is classed as category A stuff - ie, prohibited along with fully automatic firearms and mortars and such.

However, this doesn't apply in this case because Annex II also says "except in the case of weapons for hunting or for target shooting, for persons entitled to use them"; and since he's got a target shooting licence for his pistol, Grizzly's covered. So whomever told Grizzly to keep it hush-hush was misinformed. There's no problem with using JHP for target shooting in Ireland when you've got a licence for the pistol.

Makes a lot of sense because as a hunter you're looking for a humane kill and the best way to achieve that is to use high energy transfer ammunition. Hollow point and all sort of expanding ( soft point I suppose ) ammunition fits this picture perfectly.

Advertisement