Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

535i V 535D

Options
  • 29-08-2008 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Decisions decisions

Not sure if this has been covered but I dont have the chance to buy either of these cars but if I did, think I'd go for the 535d. Just for the mid-range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

both being dual turbos id be surprise if there was much difference in the mid range, personally id have the petrol :D

in an e92 body:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd take the 535d for the performance without the running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

AudiChris wrote: »

I checked this the other day....think theres only 3bhp in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

AFAIK the 535i is unavailable this side of the Atlantic

I cant help you on the comparison as I have never driven a 535i. I own a 535d and imo there is little out there to touch it. Anytime in the past I have had a car I have tended to get bored pretty quickly and have been eyeing up the next one, but with the 535d the thirst has been sated (for the time being of course)

I used to have a 350Z which in theory is faster (at least to 60) but the 535d feels so much quicker. It's also scary (in a good way) the way it accelerates from a cruising speed to a silly speed

I'm not sure if you want specifics or if its just a hypothetical question you are asking?

i presume its petrol you are talking about?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

Why?? He said 535d, it's faster than you'll realistically ever need and won't drink fuel like the petrol

Aye, 535i will be much thirstier than 535d.

I'd also expect 535d to be better on second-hand value too.

Road tax will be the same, not sure about servicing.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Why?? He said 535d, it's faster than you'll realistically ever need and won't drink fuel like the petrol

steady on tonto

i am asking is he referring to petrol when he says running costs, number of reasons i ask:

a) price diff between the fuels now
    b) im guessing the 535d would cost more than the 535i were it available
    c) the 535i is 'relatively' economical for a large petrol and the 535d isnt super frugal

and where is your info that the 535d is faster, id imagine the 535i is faster in most situations

heres a post from another uk forum re running costs

Here's the comparison between the 335i and 335d as Coupes in SE spec.

BMW 335i SE
    Purchase price: £33,795
    MPG: 29.7
    CO2: 228

BMW 335d SE
    Purchase price: £35,870
    MPG: 37.7
    CO2: 200

I'm using petrol @ 92.9p/litre and diesel @ 94.9p/litre.

You must travel 68000 miles over three years before the diesel evens out against the petrol. This is including tax liability for two years (1st year included in purchase price) but not servicing costs as it's proving extremely difficult to get that info from car manufacturers.

The fuel costs over the 68000 miles are:
    335i: £9,669.36
    335d: £7,781.50

I'd assume that the petrol is faster also, but the 535d with a top speed of 250 is faster than you're likely to go and it has a 0-100km/h of 6.4 seconds, plus it's most likely a band, if not 2 below the 535i for VRT which would make it cheaper to buy.

I'd assume that the petrol is faster also, but the 535d with a top speed of 250 is faster than you're likely to go and it has a 0-100km/h of 6.4 seconds, plus it's most likely a band, if not 2 below the 535i for VRT which would make it cheaper to buy.

its not how fast it goes its who you get there :D its a preference thing but id prefer the petrol,

going on the 3 series there is one band difference E for 335d and F for the 335i, the d is still more expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Aye, 535i will be much thirstier than 535d.

I'd also expect 535d to be better on second-hand value too.

Road tax will be the same, not sure about servicing.

But neither would interest you, right? The 4.2 TDi A8 is your bus! :D More powerful, bigger, more comfortable, more understated... and no one blows on about them!

Biro wrote: »
    But neither would interest you, right? The 4.2 TDi A8 is your bus! :D More powerful, bigger, more comfortable, more understated... and no one blows on about them!

.............waaaaaaaay more expensive

i am asking is he referring to petrol when he says running costs, number of reasons i ask:

a) price diff between the fuels now
    b) im guessing the 535d would cost more than the 535i were it available
    c) the 535i is 'relatively' economical for a large petrol and the 535d isnt super frugal

and where is your info that the 535d is faster, id imagine the 535i is faster in most situations...

...The fuel costs over the 68000 miles are:
    335i: £9,669.36
    335d: £7,781.50

Yes, but I'd expect the stronger residual of the diesel will mean that both depreciate the same, in which case the diesel costs £2k less to run but is just as quick (but the diesel will probably depreciate less, so the gap widens...).
    Biro wrote: »

That's a hard one, if I was looking for performance I'd probably plump for the 535d because it'll handle better without burning money. The A8's too big for me. Debadge the 535d though, so only E92 knows how quick it is :).
    .............waaaaaaaay more expensive

Yeah, but odds are we're already only spending imaginarium Euros/Pounds anyway :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I checked this the other day....think theres only 3bhp in the difference.

The 335d is 286bhp and the 335i is 306bhp.

Is the 5 different?

Most cars I've had apart from my S3 and the BMW I would've always said I'd love the diesel version instead or the diesel option would feel much nippier.. Only reason I'd have a 335d is to stay away from the pumps a bit more.

For noise alone I'd take the 535i - if they've done anything with the exhaust like they have on the E92 it will sound gorgeous.

MarkN wrote: »
    The 335d is 286bhp and the 335i is 306bhp.

Is the 5 different?

My bad, was comparing figures for the 530i and 535d the d is 13bhp stronger and 3cc less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Maybe this is a silly question but I often thought diesel cars are more noisy and have more vibration feel sitting in the car? Or is it just me still living in the old school :o

This used to be the main reason put me off from buying a diesel car really.

Zion wrote: »
    Maybe this is a silly question but I often thought diesel cars are more noisy and have more vibration feel sitting in the car? Or is it just me still living in the old school :o

This used to be the main reason put me off from buying a diesel car really.

This is true of some more agricultural engines like the VW SDI engine, but the majority of modern diesels are as quiet, if not quieter in some cases than their petrol equivalents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

both engines are crying out to be remapped aswell,id have the petrol i think you cant beat the howl over 6000rpm,its a real shame the 535i isnt available over here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

535i you can get one here i was in one thay had one for sale in bmw g in cahir co.tipp last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

just had a look on the Irish BMW website and they dont have a 535i on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

xbox36016 wrote: »
    535i you can get one here i was in one thay had one for sale in bmw g in cahir co.tipp last year
    there have been 535i models in the past but not the e60 model.it must have been 1 of these .

there is a 535i mybe its was a english import

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The 535i is not available in the UK or Ireland - it is in the USA.
    Its a twin turbo version of the 530i.

no the one you get in the usa it the 535xi the 4 weal drave one

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@xbox - take a look at www.bmwusa.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In relation to fuel consumption between the 535d and 535i, I generally find that when driven hard, the mpg on petrol cars suffer more than that on diesel cars, meaning a hard driven deisel seems to return much closer to official manufactures fuel figures than a petrol which just seems to dump the fuel when really abusing it. So there may be more of an advantage to the diesel than quoted earlier. Its down to the low range torque I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Well of course that comparison is true but from my experience of them (the A5 3.0TDI being the most recent) , using the right foot will have the diesel drinking fuel almost as heavily.

Now I'm not talking a 1.9 job here but a big diesel engine with serious power for a diesel engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

mickdw wrote: »
    In relation to fuel consumption between the 535d and 535i, I generally find that when driven hard, the mpg on petrol cars suffer more than that on diesel cars, meaning a hard driven deisel seems to return much closer to official manufactures fuel figures than a petrol which just seems to dump the fuel when really abusing it. So there may be more of an advantage to the diesel than quoted earlier. Its down to the low range torque I assume

Well, Top Gear did say their 535d averaged 12 mpg on their test. They reckoned that was good, usually they'd average about 6 or 8mpg for that kind of car in a petrol, obviously way less again for the exoctics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kbannon wrote: »
    The 535i is not available in the UK or Ireland - it is in the USA.
    Its a twin turbo version of the 530i.

It's not that either, it's the same straight 6 found in the 135i, 335i and X6 xDrive 35i, in other words it's based on the M54 engine from 2001.

The 530i has the N53 engine, which is based on the magnesium block N52 from 2005(minus Valvetronic and with High Precision Injection of course), which is a completely unrelated engine, even the engine size is different(2996 cc for the 530i vs 2979 cc for the 535i);)!

As kbannon says the E60 535i is not available here, and never has been for that matter. It's not even available in Europe, which is surprising when in markets like the US and Canada, where fuel consumption is not that important, they sell it yet in Europe, where environmental pressures are much stronger, we don't get it at all.

The last time we had a 535i was the E39, and the last time before that was the E34, which also had a straight 6 engine, as did the E12 and E28 535i.

• Advertisement

Welcome back E92!!! :D:D

Advertisement