Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What current / new car brings a smile to your face

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm still smiling as I haven't had to fill it up since I bought it over three weeks ago!

I haven't filled op my V8 petrol BMW for months ;)

I'm not smiling though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

unkel wrote: »
    I haven't filled op my V8 petrol BMW for months ;)

I'm not smiling though...

Any considerations towards keeping it Unkel?

Had another look at it there, fantastic motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RubberMammy

Laugh it up.

I think you'll be lucky to see an 09 on the road in five months time.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Any considerations towards keeping it Unkel?

Tbh, I could do with the money. That said, a sale for reasonable money is looking less likely by the day. Newish development is that Mrs unkel is now very insurable on the car and it is up to me to convince her to take the 7-series for a test drive and to organise it (switch insurance). She reckons she likes her manuals. So did I before I got my first proper auto :D

Sorry for off topic!

Or an Irish sold BMW for that matter.

It sems like every BMW on the road nowdays is an Import.

Welldone Internet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You a bit of a begrudger so, Chris? :(

I don't mean to be!

I love to see an M3, M5, Skyline, RS4, RS6, any AMG, etc. I love cars, and those machines are real feats of engineering.

For some reason though, when I see someone in a bright red Ferrari or Aston, I don't get the same feeling of admiration.

I know a Ferrari is also an amazing feat of engineering, but I can't help but get the feeling that the owner bought it for something other than it's driving prowess...

It's all down to my personal taste, but I've always preferred the stealthy performance of an RS4 to the more obvious machines like a Ferrari (not meaning to pick on it, just the first car of its ilk coming to mind).

And then, somewhere in the middle of that comes the R8 - it could be considered in the supercar league (it's certainly not stealthy), but when I see one I don't have the same negative reaction as I do with other supercars.

Although, as above, I do have a bit of a bias... :D

:D

AudiChris wrote: »
    I can't help but get the feeling that the owner bought it for something other than it's driving prowess...

You're probably right in most cases. That said, what does it matter?

Anyways I don't care who buys new supercars. What I do care about is that people buy them and keep them on the road. Fair play to them. To all of them. To every single person who buys an extraordinary car!

It means that ordinary folk on ordinary incomes like you are me could one day own and drive a great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I don't mean to be!

I love to see an M3, M5, Skyline, RS4, RS6, any AMG, etc. I love cars, and those machines are real feats of engineering.

For some reason though, when I see someone in a bright red Ferrari or Aston, I don't get the same feeling of admiration.

I know a Ferrari is also an amazing feat of engineering, but I can't help but get the feeling that the owner bought it for something other than it's driving prowess...

It's all down to my personal taste, but I've always preferred the stealthy performance of an RS4 to the more obvious machines like a Ferrari (not meaning to pick on it, just the first car of its ilk coming to mind).

And then, somewhere in the middle of that comes the R8 - it could be considered in the supercar league (it's certainly not stealthy), but when I see one I don't have the same negative reaction as I do with other supercars.

I know what you're saying alright, but for me the RS's have lost appeal. I used love the RS6, no one knew what it was. Now every clown knows what an RS4 and RS6 are, as you can tell by the TDi badge brigade. Audi have become part of the default money option. You get money, you buy an Audi/BMW/Merc/Aston/Ferrari etc.
    On the other hand, if I saw someone driving a 959 I'd almost wave out of respect! Or the orginal Quattro Coupe, and max kudos to the SWB S1 drivers! There was a SWB for sale for ages on Autotrader in the UK, for 19,995 sterling. If only I had the money for it! Skyline's have fallen too far into the twincam type cult following. NSX drivers on the other hand are uber cool! They defy the "you spent HOW MUCH on a Honda???" type people.
    The F40 is the Ferrari of choice, the fact that it has no carpets instantly turns off the "I won the lotto and I want a Ferrari" crowd, leaving only the people who know what one is about.

You're probably right in most cases. That said, what does it matter?

It matters not a jot, unkel.

And if you asked those drivers what they thought of me, I'd say they'd think my opinion of them doesn't matter a hell of a lot either. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

3 Door BMW 1 Series. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It only clicked with me the other evening that the 123d that I saw must actually be a properly fast piece of kit. Bigg-ish engine in a teeny little car. Anyone here had a go?

And as for the 135 M Sport i'd say it's a hoot. The looks really don't appeal to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

My 106 GTi makes me smile every time i get in it.
    but if i cant choose my own yolk id have to say the new E92 M3, beautiful.

we hey.. 1000th post:D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Alfa Brera .... sexy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

There's a white E92 MSport going around my area which is probably only a 320d but it's still gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I don't mean to be!

I'm with you 100% on both choices, in fact R8 and A5 were top of my list.
    I never had been a big fan of Audi visually, TT did very little for me, A3 made me laugh in the wrong way, A6 and A8 too much about the grill but not enough about the rest of the style.
    But both the A5 and R8 cars induce immediate desire.

And like you, the R8 comparison to a Ferrari is immediate, the moment you spot one, you are thinking Italian but you are seeing German.
    It's as if Ferrari have been trying too hard to come up with something fresh and Audi went "what about this?" But we'll do it in black.

And if you are looking for an "economical" supercar, Top Gear showed it trouncing the opposition in the mpg stakes.

In the A5, Audi seem to have gotten the real car styling just right.
    BMW on the other hand have gone a bit astray with some of their details.
    The new Citroen C5 looks like it might have taken a few style pointers fro the A5 also and fairs well from it.

The 350z catches my eye but as for the Fiat 500 this will definitely bring a smile;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipq7uJGytw4

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Biro wrote: »
    Or the orginal Quattro Coupe, and max kudos to the SWB S1 drivers! There was a SWB for sale for ages on Autotrader in the UK, for 19,995 sterling. If only I had the money for it!
    Was that a real SWB? Sounds like very good value to me, i've always liked them too.

Just did a google, I reckon yours must have been a Dialynx replica. Check this out: http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/655677.htm

Anan1 wrote: »
    Was that a real SWB? Sounds like very good value to me, i've always liked them too.

Yep, wide arches, higher bonnet with the front vents, 395bhp...

bigkev49 wrote: »
    It only clicked with me the other evening that the 123d that I saw must actually be a properly fast piece of kit. Bigg-ish engine in a teeny little car. Anyone here had a go?

And as for the 135 M Sport i'd say it's a hoot. The looks really don't appeal to me though.

The problem with the 135 M Sport is that it looks completely shyte. Save for a bit longer and get the 335 instead!

• Advertisement

Yep, wide arches, higher bonnet with the front vents, 395bhp...
    I still suspect it was a replica at that price.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Merc 300SL
    Do they come in manual though?merc300sl3.jpg.w300h156.jpg

Slig wrote: »
    Merc 300SL
    Do they come in manual though?merc300sl3.jpg.w300h156.jpg
    I think the 300SL 12v was theoretically available in manual. They're a long way from being current, though.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I still suspect it was a replica at that price.:)

Based on what though? Surely no one would shorten the wheel base of a Quattro with any ease to make it worth while? It was definately a shorter car than the normal Quattro, so if it was a replica it wasn't originally a Quattro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I know what you're saying alright, but for me the RS's have lost appeal. I used love the RS6, no one knew what it was. Now every clown knows what an RS4 and RS6 are, as you can tell by the TDi badge brigade. Audi have become part of the default money option. You get money, you buy an Audi/BMW/Merc/Aston/Ferrari etc.
    On the other hand, if I saw someone driving a 959 I'd almost wave out of respect! Or the orginal Quattro Coupe, and max kudos to the SWB S1 drivers! There was a SWB for sale for ages on Autotrader in the UK, for 19,995 sterling. If only I had the money for it! Skyline's have fallen too far into the twincam type cult following. NSX drivers on the other hand are uber cool! They defy the "you spent HOW MUCH on a Honda???" type people.
    The F40 is the Ferrari of choice, the fact that it has no carpets instantly turns off the "I won the lotto and I want a Ferrari" crowd, leaving only the people who know what one is about.

Good post, very much my line of thinking. I can understand what Chris is saying about Ferrari drivers buying just for the image and pose value but is that not true also of modern Audi drivers? (And some other marques as well... ). If I see certain cars I think...mmmm...IT nerd with no imagination who makes all his buying decisions from watching Top Gear...

Very occasionally I will give the driver of a cool car the thumbs up. Last time it was a Lancia Integrale I think. Anything eclectic, a little bit unusual will rock my boat.

Based on what though? Surely no one would shorten the wheel base of a Quattro with any ease to make it worth while? It was definately a shorter car than the normal Quattro, so if it was a replica it wasn't originally a Quattro.
    There was a company called Dialynx who shortened Urquattro coupes to make SWB replicas. You're right, it does seem like a lot of trouble, but it seems to have been done nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

1) Audi A5
    2) 335i/335d saloon. A sleeper.
    3) Lotus Europa. Lovely and rare.
    4) Mx 5. Because I want one!
    5) 135i if I could rudy well spot one.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    5) 135i if I could rudy well spot one.

Good call, MX5 always makes me smile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I've seen a few R8s about, did nothing for me, just another silver Audi, infact I wanted to scream, "you've bought the wrong car!!!!!"
    too quiet, bland and ugly for me, a supercar should be an event everytime you sit behind the wheel or even look at it, now a Gallardo on the other hand......... :p

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    3) Lotus Europa

Coughs. Not exactly current / new, but you Sir have class :)

That was my favourite matchbox model when I was a little boy - I've never seen an Europa in the flesh though :(

62384.JPG

Advertisement