Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Media design course

Options
  • 30-08-2008 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

I thought about doing this course once, but chose something entirely different instead because i got the impression that it a kind of dead end course. Is there any truth to that?

Coming up to the satrt of my year, i was thinking of changing over to it if there are any spaces. Has anyone here done/doing the course? My parents are woried that i wont have very good job prospects if i go for this course.

I decided to do biomedical and advanced materials as I love biology and the materials side of the program, but im having second thoughts for some reason. can someone comment on any of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

its a bit late now but i do the course and i will comment probably this time tomorrow but i cant right now

I thought about doing this course once, but chose something entirely different instead because i got the impression that it a kind of dead end course. Is there any truth to that?

depends what you want to get into, im in the states at the moment but i was told that the digital hub in dublin has had its largest growth(more than doubled in size) in the last year or two so there are jobs out there in the general market that the course is aiming into
    Coming up to the satrt of my year, i was thinking of changing over to it if there are any spaces. Has anyone here done/doing the course? My parents are woried that i wont have very good job prospects if i go for this course.

there probably wont be any free spaces but even if there is, what you actually do your degree in in general has not alot of bearing on what job you do (forgetting about a few obvious ones like law). most jobs only look for 'some form of 3rd level education'
    I decided to do biomedical and advanced materials as I love biology and the materials side of the program, but im having second thoughts for some reason. can someone comment on any of this?

dont know much about biomedical but i know that dmd is a fun (mostly) course and that you will probably like it BUT it has a high drop out rate (35 in the first year of the course to 5 in the first 2nd year of the course and last year in my year at least 5 people had gone by christmas iirc) because people dont know what they are getting themselves into

any other questions let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

PeakOutput wrote: »
    last year in my year at least 5 people had gone by christmas iirc) because people dont know what they are getting themselves into

:eek: I'm doing that course this year so hopefully I DO know what I'm getting myself into.

as long as you know about the maths and programming that are involved then you should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

ok wtf, theres only 9 people doing my course. I cant immagine thats all te places that are available.
    this biomedical and advanced materials course must be a bit of a dead end it seems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement