Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guy offered to buy my car who is from england...

Options
  • 30-08-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I have my car up in the online buy and sell, and a guy in england has offered to buy it. I got an email from him a few minutes ago:

Thanks for the reply. I am okay with the conditions of the car as ,I want you to know that i am from UK but i have a client who will be making out the payment to you on my behalf,and the payment will be by bank draft drawn from Irish bank which will clear in your bank, so if you are ok with this(as thats the ONLY POSSIBLE MEANS thats i can afford to give you your money) then get back to me with your details needed for issuing out the draft to you:

Your full name:
    Your full address:
    Phone Number:
    Price:4500

As regards the shipping,this will be handle by a shipping company once you must have received your money then i will instruct them to come to your location for the pickup..i do hope this is clear with you and i will be expecting your reply.

Does any of this sound fishy to you? I dont really know how to handle this!

He also left his full name and a contact number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Walk. Complete scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

sternn wrote: »
    I have my car up in the online buy and sell, and a guy in england has offered to buy it. I got an email from him a few minutes ago:

Thanks for the reply. I am okay with the conditions of the car as ,I want you to know that i am from UK but i have a client who will be making out the payment to you on my behalf,and the payment will be by bank draft drawn from Irish bank which will clear in your bank, so if you are ok with this(as thats the ONLY POSSIBLE MEANS thats i can afford to give you your money) then get back to me with your details needed for issuing out the draft to you:

Your full name:
    Your full address:
    Phone Number:
    Price:4500

As regards the shipping,this will be handle by a shipping company once you must have received your money then i will instruct them to come to your location for the pickup..i do hope this is clear with you and i will be expecting your reply.

Does any of this sound fishy to you? I dont really know how to handle this!

He also left his full name and a contact number.

A well known scam.

Run a mile (or else just ignore the emails, up to you really :p)

Some people extract the urine out of it altogether, look at 419eater.com

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Even if I do give him those details, is there much that he can do? Except send me a few scam letters?! Which of course i dont want...

But yes, its a bit fishy, considering he is from england and looking to purchase a 2nd hand car to ship back across!

I just read the other thread "scammers bait" ...seems quite common. Let the games begin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

a bank draft is just a cheque issued by a bank - they are normally as good as cash except when they are forged or stolen.

on the face of it the deal is normal.

so here is the drill

you and delivery boy get the draft and go to a branch issueing bank in your local and get cash - then and only when the cash is in your hot sticky little paw do you part with the registration docs and keys

what used to happen was conmen used to use stolen drafts from bank or building society robberies and do the deal and take the car at night or on a saturday or sunday ie when you couldnt cash the draft.when you try to cash the draft it could be listed as stolen so no car and no cash. so you only part with the car when you have cash and thats the rule.

dont be caught up with i have a ferry to catch or i need the car to meet someone in galway etc,

thats how the con is pulled when it is done.

you could wrtie back and tell him yes but say you would want cash or a draft is acceptable only during banking hours when you can cash it.if he is genuine he will agree and do the deal in normal banking hours.

if the guy is genuine he will agree if bogus he will tell you how stupid you are but you will hear no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

you shouldn't even have to ask, jesus

not everyone has your streetsmarts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

CDfm wrote: »
    not everyone has your streetsmarts

Well said (and kudos for the earlier post).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My thoughts exactly.

Street smarts doesn't come into it, just a basic level of intelligence will do.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Even if the bank accepts the draft you're not safe. Further checks will reveal it's a forgery and the bank will look for their money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Street smarts doesn't come into it, just a basic level of intelligence will do.

It wasn't until very recently that the general conception was that Bank Drafts were entirely safe. Hell, it was even taught in schools up to not so long ago!

As scams go, this is much more subtle (than someone ringing claiming to be from the bank and looking for your PIN, for example).

So we can point & laugh, or we can spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Insist on cash!

MarkR wrote: »
    Even if the bank accepts the draft you're not safe. Further checks will reveal it's a forgery and the bank will look for their money back.
    thats why you go with delivery boy to the bank and get him to present it for cashing

but foggy lad is right cash is best

if i see a deal and can make it i do

you have to assume people are legitimate safeguard yourself from those who are not

if you are unsure look at the TV programme wheeler dealers and the like - and you will see how its done

Ok well I have rung the Fraud Squad, and they want me to go ahead with the sale of the car, but when the guy comes to the door, an arrest will be made..

I had to email them the copy of the emails I have received to date, and they have more than 6 other reports of the exact same thing. Also, the text of the emails are almost word for word.

Ok well I have rung the Fraud Squad, and they want me to go ahead with the sale of the car, but when the guy comes to the door, an arrest will be made..

I had to email them the copy of the emails I have received to date, and they have more than 6 other reports of the exact same thing. Also, the text of the emails are almost word for word.
    didnt think of that and wouldnt you be a right eejit if you hadnt posted

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So this criminal is going to know who turned him in and where that person lives. Have the fraud squad given any indication of any compensation you might get when your windows are possibly bricked on a weekly basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i thought they wouldnt bother with the shipping company, just take the cash sent back.

rubadub wrote: »
    So this criminal is going to know who turned him in and where that person lives. Have the fraud squad given any indication of any compensation you might get when your windows are possibly bricked on a weekly basis?

get real they are trying to take the guy for four and a half grand - they know the risks - nothings going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

There won't be anyone coming to your door- these scams are nearly all run by people not in Ireland. Your draft will be for way more than you're asking for for the car and they'll ask you to send the balance to them/their shipping company by western union (completey untraceable). Then after you do this your bank will twig that the draft is fraudulent and you'll have lost whatever money you sent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Yeah, its as Mzfusspott says, they send you a bankdraft for the amount of the car plus the cost of the shipping. They then pressurise you to send the shipping co. their payment. You send the shipper your personal cheque which is cashed immediately and subsequently find out from your bank that the draft you received is a dud. You still have your car but lose the shipping costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Kind of scary that the guards are so stupid/uninformed about this sort of scam, considering it is RIFE in Ireland! They should have told the OP the chances of someone actually coming to his house to collect the car are non-existent.

I still can't believe people fall for these scams. Do you honestly, seriously think someone would buy your car from a foreign country without having seen or driven it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eth0_ wrote: »
    I still can't believe people fall for these scams. Do you honestly, seriously think someone would buy your car from a foreign country without having seen or driven it?

Greed blinds people from the truth, its all about the money

Advertisement