Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best of old skool Dublin!

Options
  • 30-08-2008 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

There's lots of places in Dublin from my childhood and teenage years that don't exist anymore. Forte's cafe on O' Connell street for an icecream sundae when we were being super good! And also anyone remember the DA club, thats from my teenage years, sometimes bad but mainly good good times! Anyone with any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

The Mayfair Grill on O'Connell Street (is that Ann Summers now?) for the sausage and chips. All the waitresses were ould dears who looked like they'd been in the job since the war! There was one really doddery one in particular, who was always forgetting things, and getting the orders wrong. She'd take your order, then potter halfway down the aisle and stop, and stare vacantly into space, with a bewildered look on her face...!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wasn't Forte's and the Mayfair the same place? I used to love going to that place, they did the best hamburger in town. It's only gone a few years but the cafe that was on George's street, where the tapas place is now. I can't remember how much the irish breakfast was but it was an absolute bargain. A real working man's kinda place.

Oh and incidently this should be in the dublin city forum before anyone says anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead comes from a land were childhood memories involved frollicking across the sun drenched open meadows skipping merrilly past the friendly inviting cows and woolly flirtatious sheep

We'd climb trees till our wee knees were red raw or until we heard the dinner horn sound which told us that our Mamas and Papas wanted us home to enjoy a family meal around the solid oak table. We'd eat drink and be merry and thank the lord above for our simple yet fulfilling lives. We'd listen to our grandma play the fiddle before heading out out to the meadows again for a game of kiss catch or maybe hide and seek.

What wonderful days.

Dubs memories=Stuffing their faces with chips sausage and beans followed by a messy dollop of gone off ice cream.

As the late great(ish) John Denver said "Thank God Pighead's a country boy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 dublinmayflower

Wasn't Forte's and the Mayfair the same place?
    Yes it was, it was really dark and musty inside too... I loved it!
    And they had lollipops on the counter to take when you were going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

De wife an' child beating dat me Da used to dish ou' when he came home pissed from da pub, wha'?

Chislers running around wi' de patches on their trousers, wha'?

Goin' next door to old Missus Hanely wi' me Ma for a cup o' sugar, a nather and syringeful o' heroin, wha'?

Dem day-yez is gone, old Mr Brennan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Pighead wrote: »
    Other memorable John Denver quotes include "Mountain? What mountain?".

As a boy, we were brought to the country once, but all I remember is an old man saying "you sure got a purdy mouth, city boy" and hearing the sound of dueling banjos.

Ah yes, the a-Zoo. You weren't a true Dub unless de auld mother-hubbard brought you there as a 'chisler' to see the Ronnie Drew enclosure, then off to Fortes/Borzas/Macaris to have a 50-50.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead comes from a land were childhood memories involved frollicking across the sun drenched open meadows skipping merrilly past the friendly inviting cows and woolly flirtatious sheep

We'd climb trees till our wee knees were red raw or until we heard the dinner horn sound which told us that our Mamas and Papas wanted us home to enjoy a family meal around the solid oak table. We'd eat drink and be merry and thank the lord above for our simple yet fulfilling lives. We'd listen to our grandma play the fiddle before heading out out to the meadows again for a game of kiss catch or maybe hide and seek.

What wonderful days.

Dubs memories=Stuffing their faces with chips sausage and beans followed by a messy dollop of gone off ice cream.

Maybe we were an unhealthy lot in Dublin but at least none of us grew up with that God-awful Dundalk accent. Grating is an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Collie D wrote: »
    Maybe we were an unhealthy lot in Dublin but at least none of us grew up with that God-awful Dundalk accent. Grating is an understatement
    I find it amazing how they use at least five syllables to pronounce the word 'now' .

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

About 25 years ago I used to go for pints in places like The Ivy Rooms at the top of O'Connell St/Parnell St. to see bands, or sometimes to trendier pubs like Pygmalion (The Pig) or Bartley Dunnes. They're all long gone now. I must be getting old.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dufresne wrote: »
    About 25 years ago I used to go for pints in places like The Ivy Rooms at the top of O'Connell St/Parnell St. to see bands, or sometimes to trendier pubs like Pygmalion (The Pig) or Bartley Dunnes. They're all long gone now. I must be getting old.
    Ivy rooms (get off the ramp) is now and has been for 20years Fibbers. Still doing the do. (smurfland then la mirage downstairs though have gone). Bartleys (my own personal favourite) is demolished and bebuilt as break for the border.
    I miss scoops The Chinaman. Ye'wide?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok, I know I'm crossing a border here.

But I miss, and I'm sorry my children are missing -MOSNEY camp.

I loved that place, what was the pub - Dan Lowerys? it had a show on every night, and bingo during the day. And the chalets (and riding young one's in 'em ;) )

The mini golf course and freezing your bollix off in the out door swimming pool.

Back in Dublin, I loved Santry forest and would spend hours in it. We even had great craic in 'The Flats - (Balcurris Rd for me). Under the flats we had "the sheds" and "the dark alleys".

Mairt wrote: »
    Ok, I know I'm crossing a border here.

But I miss, and I'm sorry my children are missing -MOSNEY camp.

I loved that place, what was the pub - Dan Lowerys? it had a show on every night, and bingo during the day. And the chalets (and riding young one's in 'em ;) )

The mini golf course and freezing your bollix off in the out door swimming pool.

Back in Dublin, I loved Santry forest and would spend hours in it. We even had great craic in 'The Flats - (Balcurris Rd for me). Under the flats we had "the sheds" and "the dark alleys".

MOSNEY? Only the boggers called it that :) Butlins

Oh, and I kind of went off the outdoor pool, after someone had a dump in it. Was like the scene from Caddyshack

MOSNEY? Only the boggers called it that :) Butlins

Oh, and I kind of went off the outdoor poo, after someone had a dump in it. Was like the scene from Caddyshack

I was going to call it Butlins, but didn't for fear of being corrected :o

I was going to call it Butlins, but didn't for fear of being corrected :o
    I know exactly what you mean. I'd call it Butlins but for anyone who didn't go they always called it Mosney. Great place for the holliers. Boating lake, snooker tables, pitch and putt and bowling green were my favourite day time activity. Disco, cinema and trying to score with loose norniron wimmins was top night time activity. My family still have glasses from Dan Lowry's. Big bitter glasses with handles.

humberklog wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean. I'd call it Butlins but for anyone who didn't go they always called it Mosney. Great place for the holliers. Boating lake, snooker tables, pitch and putt and bowling green were my favourite day time activity. Disco, cinema and trying to score with loose norniron wimmins was top night time activity. My family still have glasses from Dan Lowry's. Big bitter glasses with handles.

I'd forgot about the boating lake..

Yeah, Butlins. I think its a centre of cultural excellence now :p

Portmarnock has retained the old Dublin feel to it.

I walk on the beach there alot, its fantastic. And the koisks still sell 'buckets & spades' - beach balls & ice creams.

Portmarnock has retained the old Dublin feel to it.

I walk on the beach there alot, its fantastic. And the koisks still sell 'buckets & spades' - beach balls & ice creams.
    Just took a stroll along it the other week. Beautiful old feel to it. Spanking clean and well behaved. Did you see the beach volleyball nets up? Great idea and being used properly. I stayed looking for quite a while. Those east europeans are fit, fit, fit. Then a nice pint outside Tamangos. But your right Mairt it does seam to have retained a slightly old Dublin spirit.

But your right Mairt it does seam to have retained a slightly old Dublin spirit.

I think thats due, in part by a lack of developement in the area (apart from the apartments on Station Rd).

I haven't been to Tamangos in years, but occasionally have a drink the 'The Golf Links' pub (it used to be Dwyers) - the worlds most boring pub and worst bar staff ever, but the pint isn't bad.

A pub that retains that bit of real decent, intelligent, irreverent northside attitude is Gills on NCR. Family owned, they now only open on match days and events in Croker but even so it's still worth a look see to feel the atmosphere. It's a credit to the Gill family how they've maintained the place. Basic but inviting. The daughters a brilliant (and not un-pretty)barkeeps. Good stock as they'd say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think thats due, in part by a lack of developement in the area (apart from the apartments on Station Rd).

I haven't been to Tamangos in years, but occasionally have a drink the 'The Golf Links' pub (it used to be Dwyers) - the worlds most boring pub and worst bar staff ever, but the pint isn't bad.

The one thing Portmarnock is missing is a decent pub,I agree its a great area only up the road from me so I am out there a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

Used to buy my records in Sounds Around near O'Connell Bridge or for secondhand ones went to Freebird-the one that used to be upstairs in Grafton St. near where McD's is now. Shopping for clothes in No Romance top of Aungier St. - we used to think that was miles up - ha!

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    The one thing Portmarnock is missing is a decent pub,I agree its a great area only up the road from me so I am out there a lot.

Sorry, I don't like to get away from the topic of the convo. But if your looking for a decent pub in the area try Campions on the Malahide Rd. Its a thrown back to when pubs where pubs, you can still buy some groceries in the bar, there's no doorstaff and your served by locals with a bit of banter thrown in.

Oh, and its my local haunt too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Is there still a pitch & putt course out the back of Campions ?

I haven't been there in years ... if it's still there, I might wander over some Sunday ... I'll stand you a pint.

trout wrote: »
    Is there still a pitch & putt course out the back of Campions ?

I haven't been there in years ... if it's still there, I might wander over some Sunday ... I'll stand you a pint.

Its still there alright.

And I owe you a pint first. I'm up there most Sunday evenings, in fact I'm there a few nights of the week if you ever fancy backbiting a few boards users :P

Cool ... I'm getting the kids ready for school today ... but next Sunday looks like a pitch & putt & pint kind of day :)

trout wrote: »
    Cool ... I'm getting the kids ready for school today ... but next Sunday looks like a pitch & putt & pint kind of day :)

It might be a private members club?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm I recall the soda fountain in the Ilac centre and then the cafe out the back on moore street hallons was it? Then rainbow rapids out in dun laoghaire and picking up c64 games in paddy barretts toymaster.

Woden wrote: »
    hmm I recall the soda fountain in the Ilac centre and then the cafe out the back on moore street hallons was it? Then rainbow rapids out in dun laoghaire and picking up c64 games in paddy barretts toymaster.
    The Ilac for footwear. Simon Hearts for the tassled loafers (or Oxblood George Webbs) then out to Moore street for the 18hole Docs (or indeed Boxing boots). Feel the bis and slag off JUJU lips on her tomato stall.

... Feel the bis and slag off JUJU lips on her tomato stall.

As a kid, I used to have nightmare about her. I'm sure she was a lovely lady ... but she was scary looking. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Oh, and I kind of went off the outdoor poo, after someone had a dump in it.

Disturbing typo of the week....

I miss the Lancer in Rathmines. Not the most salubrious place, and I saw one very scary fight there between two army guys, but there was a good friendly crowd most nights.

• Advertisement

gogglebok wrote: »
    Disturbing typo of the week....

Fixed but the original was quite apt in the circumstances

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement